Matt Parrino - "Claypool has been most consistent WR during OTAs"

On 6/6/2024 at 10:31 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Claypool's problems started 3 seasons ago not mid-way thru 2022.

Thru 11 games in 2021 Claypool was averaging almost 70 yards receiving per game.

He seemed like a lock to get 1,000+ yards despite missing 2 games to injury.

Then he pulled that idiotic stunt in Minnesota..........made a fool of himself blaming a teammate for it afterward........

?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I thought everyone knew this 

This is claypools legacy rn

The bears told him to stay away from the team too before he got traded, he's a nightmare

OK found the blame bit

The ludicrous lack of contextual game awareness to celebrate instead of getting the ball to an official ASAP was bad, but it's happened with a player before and it will happen with a player again - what Dak Prescott did was worse IMHO

https://sports.yahoo.com/opinion-dak-prescott-postgame-blunder-111923550.html

But trying to throw a teammate under the bus by Claypool was awful

Yeah, it's a good reminder that there are solid reasons why he's on his 4th team in 3 years and he's a long shot at redemption

$8M talent and an $8 buck head

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I thought everyone knew this 

This is claypools legacy rn

The bears told him to stay away from the team too before he got traded, he's a nightmare

Yeah it hasn't just been a "maturity" issue..........it's been a "lives in his own world and probably doesn't actually even want to play football" issue.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it hasn't just been a "maturity" issue..........it's been a "lives in his own world and probably doesn't actually even want to play football" issue.

I thought there was nowhere for them to go but up wrt the wideouts but here we are praying for a Chase Claypool turnaround😂😂

• Agree 2

On 6/7/2024 at 8:39 AM, Bangarang said:

The mental gymnastics in here is crazy. If there was an article about how Claypool was the Pats most consistent WR we'd all be laughing at them for having a trash WR room.

I have a hard time seeing the offense not struggle a lot this year because of our WRs. The position was an area of need even before Diggs lost a step and we got rid of him. 

I don't take an OTA report that seriously. I still see Kincaid and Shakir as their top receivers, with Samuel as a proven vet in this offense. Knox also knows how to make big plays in a supporting role. 

I don't have an issue with them relying on these guys. All of them besides Knox have great hands and present mismatch possibilities.

Claypool is just the feel good story the media is going to overhype this time of year.

It's true we'd be laughing at the Pats in the same scenario, and while I'm not gonna laugh at the Bills, I really don't take this seriously.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But what other WR can you have hope in for the outside? 

No one can seriously consider Hollins.  MVS was worse than Gabe and let go by KC.  It's bad enough to pencil in one of the outside spots by default to a rookie.

I'm having difficulty with this.  

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No one can seriously consider Hollins.  MVS was worse than Gabe and let go by KC.  It's bad enough to pencil in one of the outside spots by default to a rookie.

Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, and Coleman. Those are your main guys.

There doesn't need to be another WR solely for the outside. They'll all move around.

Claypool, Hollins, and/or MVS will sub in to play a role on the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/7/2024 at 1:57 PM, Sharky7337 said:

If anything this would be the most depressing and alarming thing. If claypool is the best what does that say about the rest.

We are talking about about a player’s physical talent who was a second round pick for a reason 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Yeah I don't buy this Gregg Williams "stop the run with numbers" mentality with their "in aggregate" approach to addressing boundary WR.

If none of Coleman, MVS, Claypool or Hollins steps up as a legit 900 yard type outside WR...........which is the most likely result from that raggedy bunch...........then the Bills are probably just going to have to play a lot of tight formation football to manufacture clean releases and try to avoid "giving away" players on the outside.

That can work with a great QB and I still expect them to be a top 10 offense because of Allen's willingness to throw his body around............but generally speaking spreading the field puts more pressure on defenses.   

I will be very surprised if they aren't in the WR1 market by the trade deadline at least.    And if you are Beane and you think that might be the case,  it makes no sense not to do it now and get that WR in the system.     The risk to your rare, prime aged elite QB is not worth trying to squeeze by without using a high draft pick to address the problem. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/5/2024 at 9:59 AM, Brand J said:

I’m a Keon Coleman fan, I loved his highlight video more than most of the receivers coming out. With that said, Parrino also mentioned Jamarcus Ingram was holding his own with Coleman, even had the defensive sideline hooting and hollering. I wasn’t bothered when I heard Elam was getting the better of him on some reps, but now Jamarcus Ingram? Hmmm…

When you watch his tape, Coleman feasted on college-level CBs that he could out muscle. That s%$* won't fly in the NFL.  He's going to have a steep learning curve and will need to perfect his craft quickly, b/c his lack of speed will allow CBs to quickly recover from any initial moves. 

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

Doesn't he usually play well in preseason and practice?

"Would be a flag football HOFer" is how I've heard him described.

Claypool has the talent and measurables to succeed. He wasn't a 2nd round pick for nothing. He balled out his rookie year too, but it's the maturity and consistency which has since been a major issue. Which is stuff that will show up over the course of the season, not at your first OTA with a new team.

However, If he gets his head on straight he could be due for a resurgence.  It was a good flyer to take. 

But the fact he's the most consistent WR so far is just as damning of the other WRs.

Either Claypool has really put it back together and is just excelling, or we're in for some growing pains. 

17 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Claypool has the talent and measurables to succeed. He wasn't a 2nd round pick for nothing. He balled out his rookie year too, but it's the maturity and consistency which has since been a major issue. Which is stuff that will show up over the course of the season, not at your first OTA with a new team.

However, If he gets his head on straight he could be due for a resurgence.  It was a good flyer to take. 

But the fact he's the most consistent WR so far is just as damning of the other WRs.

Either Claypool has really put it back together and is just excelling, or we're in for some growing pains. 

Did Aaron Maybin ever "get his head on straight"?    Last we knew he was kicking it living the artists life in his studio.  No regrets.   

Back in the 1995 the Bills drafted a guy named Corey Louchiey 98th overall to be their RT of the future.  Really talented player with vines for arms and seen as a potential LT even.    What the Bills and their fans didn't know is that he didn't want to play pro football.  Hated it.  He just wanted to get thru his rookie deal and sign a second contract with some guarantees and retire.   He was very open about it to his friends.   But people who just thought he needed some seasoning were still calling in to WGR drooling over the idea of his talent turning him into a solution to the post-House-Ballard struggles at RT.

Lot's of NFL players don't like playing football.   It's violent and it hurts and often has long term impact on their health.  It's not necessarily illogical to want to avoid those results.

There is no indication that Claypool actually wants to excel as an NFL player.   Yeah he talks the "I'm the greatest" talk like Mayhem Maybin did.   That was just part of the kayfabe with Maybin.   The actions spoke much louder for Maybin and the vanishing act Claypool has pulled also tracks as "don't care".

Maybe the Bills get lucky with him.........it's unlikely but there is a chance.........but if it doesn't happen it does not necessarily mean his head isn't on straight.    His head might just be pointed in the direction of other things he prefers to do with the money he's made.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Sure, but I think it's worth mentioning that other fanbases have mentioned his proclivity for having great camps/pre-seasons then playing small when the bullets fly. A la Peterman or Trent.

Goes without saying that I hope he's a star for us this season.

On 6/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, Bangarang said:

The mental gymnastics in here is crazy. If there was an article about how Claypool was the Pats most consistent WR we'd all be laughing at them for having a trash WR room.

I have a hard time seeing the offense not struggle a lot this year because of our WRs. The position was an area of need even before Diggs lost a step and we got rid of him. 

I really don't think we'd be laughing at the Pats if they signed someone like Claypool during the Brady years.  We'd be saying, damn if Brady can make this dude stay straight, that's a lot of talent there.  

Time will tell. We know he has the ability because he's done it before . Maybe he realizes this is his last shot and the light has come on. I don't know what to expect, but I'd love to see a very motivated Chase Claypool. Let's hope for the best.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I really don't think we'd be laughing at the Pats if they signed someone like Claypool during the Brady years.  We'd be saying, damn if Brady can make this dude stay straight, that's a lot of talent there.  

Well, maybe not you or the superstitious types.   But people who followed the Pats and the NFL objectively would still expect him to suck.   When the Pats signed Chad Mucho Stinco he went from 800 yard receiver the year before to out-of-the-league.   Some players fit in there,  some did not.   For some we have people here equating Claypool's couple 800 yard seasons to Randy Moss when Moss put up 1400+ yards per season his first 6 years in the league.    

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/6/2024 at 5:31 PM, DJB said:

Look at the stats with Reception perception.

Watch the film of each game . He struggles against man coverage plain and simple.

He’s excellent against press coverage and runs 4.5 with pads.  You speak of him like he should have been an UDFA.  🤣 

He has the tools to be a very good WR, time will tell. 

Posted (edited)

I have 3 goals for Bills’ WRs:

1) Catch balls;

2) Catch balls deep;

3) Catch contested balls.

NO projects!

NO learning curves!

Get on the field and do it.. consistently!

Who does it? Could care less.

JUST DO IT! 

The meter is running.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.