Matt Parrino - "Claypool has been most consistent WR during OTAs"

12 hours ago, 26TrapDraw said:

I mean Coleman Samuel Claypool and if we spread Shakir in the slot isn't the worst set in the world.

I was listening to a Cover One breakdown (with Mina Kimes and she really does know her stuff) and they pointed out that the Rams run an insane amount of 11 personnel (3 WR, 1 TE, 1RB) at sometbing like 94% but still are able to run effectively because they have big bodied receivers is Cupp and Nikua.

If you have those four guys, and Kincaid on the line, you have options: putting Samuel in the backfield for 2 RB sets, running unbalanced formations vs light boxes, splitting Kincaid into the slot, having Claypool chip to effectively make a light 2TE formation.

I do worry about teams daring the Bills to beat them deep, but there seems to be ways to attack defenses each week depending on their tendencies.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Shirley you can’t be serious.  He’s repeatedly proven himself to be a loser to the point where he signed for vet minimum.  Technically you’re right.  You’d also be right if you said it doesn’t matter that your Powerball numbers didn't hit last week; just if they hit next week.

Spoiler alert: Nope.

I mean most of the places you work at probably think you are a loser too, but you still keep getting hired right?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s the naysayers that are acting weird.  No real example of Diggs doing anything detrimental to the team.  A ton of innuendo and supposition?  Sure.  Actual content?  Nope.  Same guy who interacted with kids in the stands before every game, right?  The selfish guy.  

But now Chase Claypool is our savior?  And people worried about Diggs being gone are the irrational ones?  Geez.  

First of all, the Diggs discussion has covered literally hundreds of pages on this forum and the consensus is that his departure does not hurt much. I am not going to dive into the main reasons. He wasn't a savior these past two seasons, fading away at the end of each. Surprising to see you defending him 

And no one is annointing Claypool as a savior. I for one still want to acquire a top one. But he has initially surprised watchers by his attitude in OTAs which he doesn't seem to have displayed at his previous stops. That is a step in the right direction. What you are reading is people hoping he has turned it around mentally. It happens in life. A lot. I have personally seen it (not in sports) and have confidence that individuals can indeed turn their life around by mentally re-setting themselves. If Claypool is one of them, and granted it's a big IF, then the overall WR room is pretty good due to the diversity of skill sets. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I suspect Claypool is knowingly fighting for his careers last real opportunity, I very much hope he proves his doubters wrong, and that he has seen the light so to speak, 

Yeah but the real test will come when he thinks “he has made it.”  The fight in him has too endure for the full season.  Let’s hope it does.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What people always leave out is the people Claypool complained about also lost their jobs eventually. Both Pittsburgh and Chicago made massive changes on offense after getting rid of Claypool. He was right. But players aren’t supposed to speak up to the media.

That wasn't the only reason they got rid of Claypool.

18 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That was my first thought. This is either great news or panic button news 

Also had a deal in place for Antonio Brown. Beane will swing for the fences when he feels its a good move

What was the deal in place?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's my thought process too. It's not that I expect him to become a superstar for us. It would just be nice to have a legit starting outside WR on the roster because as of right now we have ZERO proven players in that spot if not Claypool.

My take on Claypool is that he might (emphasis on might) be one of those receivers who can’t stomach playing with bad quarterbacks who don’t know how to (or can’t) implement a passing game that’s reasonably sophisticated in design because they’re either not good processors or not good physical talents. Some people react very badly to incompetence at the top, and that might well be a Claypool trait. That makes them bad team players when the person at the top (the QB) isn’t good. However, we never heard anything like this about Claypool when Roethlisberger was the QB, and now Claypool is playing with a QB who is inarguably one of the 2-3 best in the NFL and the most physically talented to boot.

Anyway, something to consider.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Last season the Bills only had 5 WRs active for game day.  The others were inactive or on the practice squad.

At least at the beginning of the season last season:

- Diggs

- Davis

- Shakir

- Sherfield

- Harty

Harty was the KR and back up slot so he took one of the slots last season.

That leaves only 4 left to be active on gameday.  Maybe it is 

- Claypool

- MVS

- Shakir

- Samuels

- KR ???

- Coleman inactive at least for the first few games.

Is their any indication from OTA's who is taking Kickoffs and Punt returns ?  That could tell us alot about the top 5

My guess is Shakiir and Daquan Hardy end up our returners.  

Last year we had Shakiir returning kicks and punts, doubt we change that this year.  The other returner was Harty who we cut. 

We drafted Daequan Hardy this year for his return ability/ cb depth, got to think he will be one of them as his return ability was mentioned specifically by Beane post draft presser. 

Then we will keep a practice squad wr one of Andy isabella or KJ hamler incase we need an injury replacement for a return guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

To bottom line this we all agree how awesome it would be if when pads come on he can sustain excellence and make the roster. The OP headline of course was going to make this Domer fans heart beat faster 🙂 for totally selfish reasons I want a Domer on the Bills roster IF he earns it

That's the other bottom line. He Must Earn it and IF he can oh baby Baby BABY

🙂

so Great thread so far Great discussion. He is intriguing. I mean he  attended Notre Dame. Is  he an academic slouch? I dare say NOT. So his play was deficient when it mattered after his first season. He got lazy.

HA. well the Biils will cure him of that. To have a shot to be playing with #17 he better not screw the pooch this time. I'd pity the fool if he didn't make it on account of being lazy just sayin

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, muppy said:

To bottom line this we all agree how awesome it would be if when pads come on he can sustain excellence and make the roster. The OP headline of course was going to make this Domer fans heart beat faster 🙂 for totally selfish reasons I want a Domer on the Bills roster IF he earns it

That's the other bottom line. He Must Earn it and IF he can oh baby Baby BABY

🙂

so Great thread so far Great discussion. He is intriguing. I mean he  attended Notre Dame. Is  he an academic slouch? I dare say NOT. So his play was deficient when it mattered after his first season. He got lazy.

HA. well the Biils will cure him of that. To have a shot to be playing with #17 he better not screw the pooch this time. I'd pity the fool if he didn't make it on account of being lazy just sayin

Mup, the kid isn't lazy per se.  But he is hot-tempered and emotionally immature.  There's an article on Yahoo that I think presents a fair and balanced version of Claypool's NFL journey up to the time he was with the Bears (link below).  

He reminds me of Diggs  - a talented, hard-working guy who hates losing and sometimes lets his emotions make him a bad teammate.   Like Diggs, he hates when teammates get comfortable with losing.  And like Diggs, some of his complaints have been valid.  But that doesn't mean it's good for the team to air them out.  And if Claypool is Diggs II, he's been an inferior copy: less production, more problems.  

Claypool has good qualities too - as an athlete and a human.  I'm hoping he's smart enough to see how his bad temper and immaturity have derailed his career - and decides to make amends.  Last season must have been a huge punch in the gut for him - hopefully an eye-opening one.  

I'm also hoping Buffalo's strong culture and leadership bring out the best in him.  Whatever you may think of McD, he's not a milquetoast.  And a lot of players seem to like Brady and appreciate his communication skills.  Buffalo just might be what Claypool has been searching for at the time he was finally ready to find it.  As a Bills fan, my fingers are crossed.  

sports.yahoo.com/bears-chase-claypool-saga-happened-003109392.html

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Antonio Brown Trade

This article doesnt have the exact trade details, but from what I remember it was a swap of 1st rounders and another pick to the steelers for Brown. AB and his agent blew it up and he was traded to oakland later

yeah there was no deal because the client never wanted to come to Buffalo.  His own agent confirmed this.

21 hours ago, DJB said:

His issue isn’t talent, it’s been attitude and work ethic. I loved him coming out of ND at the time when others didn’t. 

Hopefully he’s fixed it between the ears and we have something 

Keon is going to struggle in man coverage. He is who he is coming out of college. If you can’t separate in college you won’t be doing it in the pros.

Love the kid and his personality but his film is not good and I’ve been down on him for months 

He was the one WR I didn’t want to pick late 1st early 2nd

Please send me this film you saw that "wasn't good" and where he "struggled in man coverage"

If you don't like him, fine but I'd like to see this film that isn't good. AVG 13.2 yards per catch over your career seems better than "wasn't good" to me. I watched a lot of him at FSU and I disagree with your take fully.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Antonio Brown Trade

This article doesnt have the exact trade details, but from what I remember it was a swap of 1st rounders and another pick to the steelers for Brown. AB and his agent blew it up and he was traded to oakland later

was it Rosenhaus or Eugene Parker who had a history of killing us in the past?

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

yeah there was no deal because the client never wanted to come to Buffalo.  His own agent confirmed this.

He didn’t have a NTC IIRC. Players get traded all the time to places they may not want to go to. 

AB was already a headcase and when he threatened to not come to Buffalo, the Bills withdrew.

24 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The kid isn't lazy.  But he is hot-tempered and emotionally immature.  There's an article on Yahoo that I think presents a fair and balanced version of Claypool's NFL journey up to the time he was with the Bears (link below).  

He reminds me of Diggs  - a talented, hard-working guy who hates losing and sometimes lets his emotions make him a bad teammate.   Like Diggs, he hates when teammates get comfortable with losing.  And like Diggs, some of his complaints have been valid.  But that doesn't mean it's good for the team to air them out.  And if Claypool is Diggs II, he's been an inferior copy: less production, more problems.  

Claypool has good qualities too - as an athlete and a human.  I'm hoping he's smart enough to see how his bad temper and immaturity have derailed his career - and decides to make amends.  Last season must have been a huge punch in the gut for him - hopefully an eye-opening one.  

I'm also hoping Buffalo's strong culture and leadership bring out the best in him.  Whatever you may think of McD, he's not a milquetoast.  And a lot of players seem to like Brady and appreciate his communication skills.  Buffalo just might be what Claypool has been searching for at the time he was finally ready to find it.  As a Bills fan, my fingers are crossed.  

Excellent piece. Sorta confirms what I say above about playing in bad offenses with bad QBs setting him off, and not in a helpful way. Now he's playing with a bigger and better version of Roethlisberger, though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

First of all, the Diggs discussion has covered literally hundreds of pages on this forum and the consensus is that his departure does not hurt much. I am not going to dive into the main reasons. He wasn't a savior these past two seasons, fading away at the end of each. Surprising to see you defending him 

And no one is annointing Claypool as a savior. I for one still want to acquire a top one. But he has initially surprised watchers by his attitude in OTAs which he doesn't seem to have displayed at his previous stops. That is a step in the right direction. What you are reading is people hoping he has turned it around mentally. It happens in life. A lot. I have personally seen it (not in sports) and have confidence that individuals can indeed turn their life around by mentally re-setting themselves. If Claypool is one of them, and granted it's a big IF, then the overall WR room is pretty good due to the diversity of skill sets. 

Well the consensus must be right.

He was a guy who produced immensely for the team and treated the fans well.  He was visibly frustrated with losing.  Could he have been better at hiding his emotions?  Sure.  Does that make him a malcontent?  Hardly.  Does it make his production easy to replace?  Well if the consensus says so.

People in here have taken Allen’s side for the “it’s one game” hearsay quote.  I don’t know if any of the supposed locker room talk is even accurate so I’m not taking any sides, but if it is true, our QB is fine being unprepared for a few games every year.  Dawkins too.  To me, guys like that need to be pushed.  If they’re being stereotypical laid back millennials,  ditching guys who are willing to push is not a good management strategy IMO.  And pardon me if I’m skeptical about reports of one decent practice meaning a serial loser now has Michael Jordan’s mindset.  

I’m old enough to remember when the board “consensus” was that Andy Isabella was the answer to all the Bills problems.

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

He's had two reasonably good seasons (>800 yards).

He had one mediocre season (450 yards).

He had one 'loser' season (<100 yards).

The trend line isn't good but he was reasonably good in half the seasons he's played.  A person could argue that there's a 50-50 chance he'll have a decent season in 2024.  

Even if he matched his mediocre year with us, I'd be glad to get that kind of production from a guy who'll presumably be a backup.  But given his age (25), the fact that Josh is his QB, and he's finally removed his head from his butt (one can hope), it's not inconceivable that he'll match or surpass his previous best.

He’s been kicked off two teams.  Technically, not really, but realistically, yes.  Loser.

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean most of the places you work at probably think you are a loser too, but you still keep getting hired right?

That seems a little childish, personal, and unnecessary.  The trifecta of weak posts.  Run to the window and cash that ticket.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Mup, the kid isn't lazy per se.  But he is hot-tempered and emotionally immature.  There's an article on Yahoo that I think presents a fair and balanced version of Claypool's NFL journey up to the time he was with the Bears (link below).  

The last thing the Bills needs is another diva wide receiver who blows up regularly because he "hates losing."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.