Final WRs on Roster

What is final WR room?  Usually keep six, so feels to me like:

1.  Coleman

2.  Shakir

3.  Samuel

4.  Hollins

5.  Scantling

6.  Claypool

That leaves some meaningfully high draft picks (and perhaps talent) on the outside looking in.  Shorter, Hamler, and Isabella for starters.  And Shavers.  Does anyone have.a different view?   Interested in the Board's thoughts on two things:

1.  Hamler in particular seems like a potentially valuable player if he can stay healthy.  Don't really have another guy like him.  Could he knock out one of the "big receivers" like Scantling, Hollins or Claypool?  Having the four "bigs" of Coleman, Hollins, Scantling and Claypool seems a little redundant - keeping Hamler over one of those would make it 3 bigs and 3 smaller, shiftier players.

2.  I also have no idea what Shorter or Shavers really bring - but they seem to be directly competing with Hollins/Scantling/Claypool for back-up "big receiver" roles.  Do they have a path? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think they being in 7 this year. So I’d add Hamler, or Shorter to that list. 

I think Shavers and Isabella both clear waivers and make the practice team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

14 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

1.  Coleman

2.  Shakir

3.  Samuel

4.  Hollins

5.  Scantling

6.  Claypool

That leaves some meaningfully high draft picks (and perhaps talent) on the outside looking in.  Shorter, Hamler, and Isabella for starters.  And Shavers.  Does anyone have.a different view?   Interested in the Board's thoughts on two things:

1.  Hamler in particular seems like a potentially valuable player if he can stay healthy.  Don't really have another guy like him.  Could he knock out one of the "big receivers" like Scantling, Hollins or Claypool?  Having the four "bigs" of Coleman, Hollins, Scantling and Claypool seems a little redundant - keeping Hamler over one of those would make it 3 bigs and 3 smaller, shiftier players.

2.  I also have no idea what Shorter or Shavers really bring - but they seem to be directly competing with Hollins/Scantling/Claypool for back-up "big receiver" roles.  Do they have a path? 

I agree on your first 5. 

I think the 6th spot really comes down to ST value and who they feel can contribute there the most. Hamler has value if healthy there. Claypool played ST last year in Miami and has already both spoken and been spoken about for willingness to play teams.

I think Shorter has the inside track to that spot. He's a guy that the Bills burned a pick on (a 5th, sure but still a pick) and has extensive ST experience in college. I see him locking down that 6th spot.

I think MVS sticks, but the path for Claypool or Hamler (aside from injury) may just be outplaying him for his spot. If MVS 's case of the dropsies continue this TC/PS I think it opens the door. Between the 3 of them it may come down to which one overcomes their well documented short commings the most will stay. MVS- Drops/ Claypool-Effort/ Hamler-Health.

• Like (+1) 3

If Claypool remains focused and is willing to play special teams I just can’t see keeping Shorter over him. Hamler needs to show he can stay healthy because he is a talent as well but if he is able to do that throughout camp and preseason I would expect him to be ahead of shorter as well. Claypool and Hamler were both 2nd round picks and relatively young. shorter is a 5th round pick and has yet to show anything as a wr in the NFL. Heck, his college numbers were not very good as a wr.

If Coleman and/or MVS are struggling or we have injuries to the wr position, I’d feel much more confident elevating Claypool and Hamler into more prominent roles than relying on guys like Shorter and Shavers/Isabella. I feel more confident in Claypool because of Hamlers injury history but I’d like to find a way to keep him on the 53 as well if he is able to remain healthy. 

• Agree 3

48 minutes ago, mrags said:

Seems like big, physical WRs may have real value on KOs now. I can see Shorter making the team as WR7 for that. 

• Agree 1

Unless they drastically both outplay the competition, I think it will be one spot for either Scantling or Claypool as feel the team will more want to give that last roster spot to someone younger who could stick around with the team longer.  Shorter is locked up for another 3 years I'd imagine on rookie contract so could more see him sticking and taking the last slot.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Unless they drastically both outplay the competition, I think it will be one spot for either Scantling or Claypool as feel the team will more want to give that last roster spot to someone younger who could stick around with the team longer.  Shorter is locked up for another 3 years I'd imagine on rookie contract so could more see him sticking and taking the last slot.

Bills will still have Coleman, Samuel and Shakir (maybe the 3 starters this year) under contract for next year. With all the draft picks and some cap $ being available next year, I would not worry about trying to maintain a 5th round pick over proven veterans like MVS, Claypool and even Hamler (Hamler can play he just has not been able to stay healthy). Bills could always try and resign some of those vets if they are productive this year albeit at a higher cost. 

Bills need to have the best players on the team at every position. Claypool for example is a much better talent than Shorter and if he is fitting in with Josh and the coaching staff then you keep him because we don’t want to be in a position (injuries, ineffective play) where we are relying on Shorter to play meaningful minutes as a wr (look what happened last year when we needed Sheffield and Isabella). If you want to win this year you take the best 53. Now if Shorter outplays the vets at wr in camp or comes close, I’ll agree that he would be kept because of his contract, youth and special teams work. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

1.  Coleman

2.  Shakir

3.  Samuel

4.  Hollins

5.  Scantling

6.  Claypool

Wow...before I read this post, I posted the same on the OTA thread.  Some won't get it,but that's a dang good WR room.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

That's what it looks like right now with all the positive press Claypool is getting, but these things usually change once pads come on. The guys who stand out in OTAs are not usually the same as the ones who standout in training camp and preseason games.

Still, Claypool had good production his first two years and he has the most physical upside of those in the running for that final roster spot. It would be a big win if he keeps his head screwed on right.

1. Coleman

2. Shakir

3. Valdez-Scantling

4. Samuel

5. Claypool

6. Shorter

They probably will keep 6.  They drafted a CB that can be the punt return guy and they have signed several backup LBs that will play teams. 

Shorter is cheaper and younger than Hollins. Both are just STs guys. If either has to play much WR then it is bad.

Isabella would be my 7th guy as a gadget type player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

1.  Coleman

2.  Shakir

3.  Samuel

4.  Hollins

5.  Scantling

6.  Claypool

I'd be surprised if these 6 aren't on the final roster.  

• Like (+1) 4

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mrags said:

They had 5 last  year.  6 is questionable.......

Edited by Matt_In_NH

1. Shakir

2. Samuel

3. Coleman

4. Claypool

5. Hollins

6. Scantling

Shorter and Shavers would need to be dominant on special teams in preseason and stay healthy to challenge for a spot on the 53. One will likely be stashed away on IR.

There's no chance we keep 7 on the final roster considering Kincaid is essentially playing receiver.

• Like (+1) 2

Looking at the contract/guarantees given to the free agent WRs tells us that the first five you listed are roster locks. They're not cutting Hollins or MVS.

That leaves:

Claypool, Hamler, Shavers, Shorter, and Isabella

...fighting for the final one or two spots, depending on whether they keep six or seven WRs on the 53. As others have mentioned, health and special teams contributions will likely wind up being the deciding factors.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Looking at the contract/guarantees given to the free agent WRs tells us that the first five you listed are roster locks. They're not cutting Hollins or MVS.

That leaves:

Claypool, Hamler, Shavers, Shorter, and Isabella

...fighting for the final one or two spots, depending on whether they keep six or seven WRs on the 53. As others have mentioned, health and special teams contributions will likely wind up being the deciding factors.

Only $1.1 M of Hollins salary is guaranteed and $500k of that has already been paid. So only would be another $600K to cut him. I wouldn't call that a lock. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Where's Robert Foster and Duke Williams on this list?

Just waiting for the injury bug , near the phone , and ready to go . And prove all the doubters  something something  ...

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They had 5 last  year.  6 is questionable.......

6 is the number

11 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

1.  Coleman

2.  Shakir

3.  Samuel

4.  Hollins

5.  Scantling

6.  Claypool

no offense but I think you are overshooting the talent left off. I think essentially any of those are a breeze to get on the practice squad or ***** an equivalent peer from another squad. There’s no shortage of late rounders or high picks that washed out available around the league 

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Just waiting for the injury bug , near the phone , and ready to go . And prove all the doubters  something something  ...

6 is the number

especially if a guy like claypool can be active on special teams

1.  Coleman

2.  Shakir

3.  Samuel

4.  Hollins

5.  Scantling

6.  Claypool

I mean IMHO this is the 6...but the wild thing is in what order.  If things keep trending the way they are, its not impossible that Claypool could end up starting opposite Keon with Shakir in the slot and mixing in Samuel within the trio too.  His upside is as high as anyones on the roster, its his head he has to keep straight.  

I think these guys are more likely to be PS guys that make the final 53.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.