Joe Marino talks what the Bills have to do to beat KC in playoffs

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I certainly lose trust in this comparison pretty much the second I start reading it around here. 

Right!- Reid needed to go to another team to succeed. Exactly.= McDermott needs to go to another team to succeed. Never understood how Reid and the Chiefs have anything to do or even resemble McD in Buffalo.

McD is still young.. there are a TON of coaches who had very good reg season win totals and couldn’t win a Super Bowl. Plenty. 

But the Reid thing.. He’s not Andy Reid in any way, shape, or form. Reid is offensive. Reid’s pedigree is second to none. Reid had Favre, Young.. ….Reid went to NFC title gameS right away. Reid had JIM JOHNSON.

HAHAHA.. name McDermott’s best coordinators. It’s a joke. And the HC picks the coordinators. I need to see his record on this to start reflecting a “coaching genius” like NOW. Like, Babich and Brady better be head coach candidates at the end of THIS season. (Hopefully for us.)

The only thing Sean McDermott has in common with pre-KC Andy Reid is a few regular season win totals. I guess. 

But this narrative keeps living. If you asked a Philly’s fan right at the end of Reid’s tenure if the Buffalo Bills should accept the Andy Reid coaching blueprint, they’d probably punch you right in the forehead. Why on Earth would any team strive to emulate Reid’s trajectory at that moment as opposed to 20 other great coaches who have won Super Bowls. Bill Belichick being one of them right in the same division. (Don’t we love how the Bills had a front row seat to the greatest dynasty in Sports and the only concept they thought to steal from it was taking on the guy that just got run out of town, allowing the dynasty to commence. Bills just sat back and didn’t do a thing about it for 15 years. You’re Welcome, New England.) The Eagles fans wanted a coach that could win them the big game. Reid may have never ever won a Super Bowl if he stayed in Philly. McDermott may never win a Super Bowl in Buffalo. The only thing we know for sure is that Reid wins them now in KC, and for that coach’s path to become relevant in Buffalo’s plans we need to fire McDermott and hire Kyle Shanahan. Sorry. 

McDermott also learned under Jim Johnson... Learned under Andy Reid 

He changed the culture of Buffalo... You remember how much of a joke we were? 

And my point is Philly should not have gotten rid of Andy Reid.. they won a super bowl with a lesser coach... Andy Reid could have won it there 

Sure sometimes changes in scenery is good... But Andy Reid could have won a super bowl in Philadelphia

But he was always thought of as the guy who can't... The same label McDermott has now... The guy who can't win big games

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

I certainly lose trust in this comparison pretty much the second I start reading it around here. 

Right!- Reid needed to go to another team to succeed. Exactly.= McDermott needs to go to another team to succeed. Never understood how Reid and the Chiefs have anything to do or even resemble McD in Buffalo.

McD is still young.. there are a TON of coaches who had very good reg season win totals and couldn’t win a Super Bowl. Plenty. 

But the Reid thing.. He’s not Andy Reid in any way, shape, or form. Reid is offensive. Reid’s pedigree is second to none. Reid had Favre, Young.. ….Reid went to NFC title gameS right away. Reid had JIM JOHNSON.

HAHAHA.. name McDermott’s best coordinators. It’s a joke. And the HC picks the coordinators. I need to see his record on this to start reflecting a “coaching genius” like NOW. Like, Babich and Brady better be head coach candidates at the end of THIS season. (Hopefully for us.)

The only thing Sean McDermott has in common with pre-KC Andy Reid is a few regular season win totals. I guess. 

But this narrative keeps living. If you asked a Philly’s fan right at the end of Reid’s tenure if the Buffalo Bills should accept the Andy Reid coaching blueprint, they’d probably punch you right in the forehead. Why on Earth would any team strive to emulate Reid’s trajectory at that moment as opposed to 20 other great coaches who have won Super Bowls. Bill Belichick being one of them right in the same division. (Don’t we love how the Bills had a front row seat to the greatest dynasty in Sports and the only concept they thought to steal from it was taking on the guy that just got run out of town, allowing the dynasty to commence. Bills just sat back and didn’t do a thing about it for 15 years. You’re Welcome, New England.) The Eagles fans wanted a coach that could win them the big game. Reid may have never ever won a Super Bowl if he stayed in Philly. McDermott may never win a Super Bowl in Buffalo. The only thing we know for sure is that Reid wins them now in KC, and for that coach’s path to become relevant in Buffalo’s plans we need to fire McDermott and hire Kyle Shanahan. Sorry. 

Sounds like you are arguing that hall of fame QBs and first tier DCs make a great head coach.

Kyle Shanahan is a guy who can DEFINITELY win the big game....

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

And my point is Philly should not have gotten rid of Andy Reid.. they won a super bowl with a lesser coach... Andy Reid could have won it there 

Sure sometimes changes in scenery is good... But Andy Reid could have won a super bowl in Philadelphia

Do we need a Doug Pederson? Maybe a Kubiak?  Whats Gruden up to?

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Sounds like you are arguing that hall of fame QBs and first tier DCs make a great head coach.

Kyle Shanahan is a guy who can DEFINITELY win the big game....

Right.. belichick has defensive guru+ top quarterback equals six super bowls 

Sean McDermott is considered a defensive guru and has a top quarterback 

Pretty sure that's the blueprint they're going after... But Sean McDermott is absolutely a world-class defensive coach... Even if he has been out coach before 

So has Bill belichick

McDermott has taken other teams castaways like poyer... Made him all pro... Taken solid starter from Green Bay in Hyde... Gave him a position switch... All pro 

Drafted Tre white with his first ever pick.. All pro... Developed Matt Milano a six-round pick... All pro...

We took cut Jordan Phillips from Miami... Cut from the NFL... Came here 10 sacks.. got a huge contract 

Took Christian Bedford in the sixth round... Immediately plays at a starter level 

Bernard... People thought he was going to be a bust... Gets a little bit of repetition.. stud

Sean McDermott gets and develops defensive players at one of the best rates in the NFL... He develops draftees and NFL signees... 

Has a system that he has built... And he knows what players to plug in and get immediate results... That's a defensive guru 

Even if he has been beat... Pretty sure the bills went 7 for 7 with 7 touchdowns against the greatest defensive coordinator ever in Bill belichick in the playoffs... That doesn't make Bill a bum

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

When your punter is netting 15 yards I think most teams will likely lose.  Fairly unique situation which set up the play that involved the rule you hate.

True those Damar Hamlin fake punts really drag down your average😂😂

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

But he was always thought of as the guy who can't... The same label McDermott has now... The guy who can't win big games

Understood. But Reid didn’t win one in Philadelphia. I know you’re saying he could have. Not sure how though without a Mahomes type guy. Very unlikely he lands a Mahomes in Philly. The stars aligned for him with KC. 

It’s not like he wasn’t in Philly a long time either. How many more years do you give Reid…? Genuinely curious. Because I can’t take another five years of McDermott’s crap. 

Reid wins Super Bowls with the singular best QB in Football. McDermott has the next best thing, and things could flip if JA17 treats this as a 365 day job. Problem is McDermott will never be able to challenge Josh to sellout for greatness. He doesn’t speak that language first of all, and second, he doesn’t have the clout, control, etc etc Belichick had over Brady, or certainly Reid has over Mahomes. Brady would’ve been great anyways, Mahomes probably benefits more from Reid’s tutelage by comparison. McD is no Reid. Guy has to go. 

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Right.. belichick has defensive guru+ top quarterback equals six super bowls 

Sean McDermott is considered a defensive guru and has a top quarterback 

Pretty sure that's the blueprint they're going after... But Sean McDermott is absolutely a world-class defensive coach... Even if he has been out coach before 

So has Bill belichick

McDermott has taken other teams castaways like poyer... Made him all pro... Taken solid starter from Green Bay in Hyde... Gave him a position switch... All pro 

Drafted Tre white with his first ever pick.. All pro... Developed Matt Milano a six-round pick... All pro...

We took cut Jordan Phillips from Miami... Cut from the NFL... Came here 10 sacks.. got a huge contract 

Took Christian Bedford in the sixth round... Immediately plays at a starter level 

Bernard... People thought he was going to be a bust... Gets a little bit of repetition.. stud

Sean McDermott gets and develops defensive players at one of the best rates in the NFL... He develops draftees and NFL signees... 

Has a system that he has built... And he knows what players to plug in and get immediate results... That's a defensive guru 

Even if he has been beat... Pretty sure the bills went 7 for 7 with 7 touchdowns against the greatest defensive coordinator ever in Bill belichick in the playoffs... That doesn't make Bill a bum

Matt Jones made Bill a bum.

Can we agree to not connect pre-Patriots Belichick to McDermott’s assistant coaching resume. 

TWO Super Bowls, one with Phil Sims and the other with WHO?, and one of the cleanest defensive game plans in Super Bowl history. Right in our face yet again. 

McDermott was no guru for being DC.. right? Guru?? And he’s no guru for having consistent top ten defenses as HC. Mr. Miyagi is a guru. Sean McDermott is no Mr. Miyagi, okay. McD would’ve called timeout right before the crane kick. 

Love your points on player development. Absolutely. He’s made a lot of guys a lot of money. But he needs help to win a Super Bowl. He does too many things not up to snuff. 

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Understood. But Reid didn’t win one in Philadelphia. I know you’re saying he could have. Not sure how though without a Mahomes type guy. Very unlikely he lands a Mahomes in Philly. The stars aligned for him with KC. 

It’s not like he wasn’t in Philly a long time either. How many more years do you give Reid…? Genuinely curious. Because I can’t take another five years of McDermott’s crap. 

Reid wins Super Bowls with the singular best QB in Football. McDermott has the next best thing, and things could flip if JA17 treats this as a 365 day job. Problem is McDermott will never be able to challenge Josh to sellout for greatness. He doesn’t speak that language first of all, and second, he doesn’t have the clout, control, etc etc Belichick had over Brady, or certainly Reid has over Mahomes. Brady would’ve been great anyways, Mahomes probably benefits more from Reid’s tutelage by comparison. McD is no Reid. Guy has to go. 

As I said I don't think McDermott is super safe... I definitely think the seat is warm

I give him 2 years to get to the super bowl... Unless the team is super flat next year 

They don't make the playoffs.. or bow out in the wildcard... I would make the switch 

But point differential speaks for itself... The team and coaches outplay and out coach other teams consistently... Yes the playoff losses are super tough 

But by all accounts Sean McDermott is a good leader of men... He clearly has a good scheme on defense... Even if Andy Reid has gotten the better of it in the playoffs 

And Josh is going through three offensive coordinators in 7 years... That's not a lot of consistency... Including like three quarterbacks coaches

He doesn't even have time to fully integrate himself into an offense.. the best was year 3 of daboll... Any1 needs multiple years with a coordinator to master their offense... Master the protections and check Downs... The progressions

And he still is other worldly with fired coordinators like Ken Dorsey... 

Josh with two or three years of Joe Brady probably will even turn it up another level...

I said on this board years ago... Josh Allen is going to break every record around 30 years old when the game has fully slowed down and he still has athletic talents... I totally can see Josh Allen being the first quarterback to throw for 60 touchdowns and I I don't think he has reached his prime yet

It hasn't even all came together for the kid.. despite all of his success already.. I do see another gear

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The biggest gap between KC and Buffalo by far has been the coaching staff. Allen has outplayed Mahomes in every single match they've played since 2021. I don't want to hear about Donovan McNabb... he never approached the level of QB play we've seen from Allen in the playoffs. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. Even Joe Marino knows it, he just misidentifies the source of the problem.

I agree with the first point and that includes the Bengals clunker.  I don't completely agree with that as I think Mahomes has been just as good as Allen in the last two Divisional Round games.  He's the one that made 13 seconds and the overtime winning TD drive happen.  Josh missed the throw to Shakir with the game on the line when he should've checked it down to Diggs.  Mahomes makes that checkdown.  The defensive game plan against Mahomes in the regular season has been much better than in the playoffs for some reason.  One half glass full look is we have a new offensive and defensive coordinator now so hopefully they can throw some wrinkles in the game plans if we get back to that point again.  Also, as much as I loved Hyde and Poyer they aren't as athletic as the new safeties this year.  I'm looking for some optimism here.  Also, we should have enough LB depth where we're not putting AJ Klein on Kelce.  LOL.

• Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree with the first point and that includes the Bengals clunker.  I don't completely agree with that as I think Mahomes has been just as good as Allen in the last two Divisional Round games.  He's the one that made 13 seconds and the overtime winning TD drive happen.  Josh missed the throw to Shakir with the game on the line when he should've checked it down to Diggs.  Mahomes makes that checkdown.  The defensive game plan against Mahomes in the regular season has been much better than in the playoffs for some reason.  One half glass full look is we have a new offensive and defensive coordinator now so hopefully they can throw some wrinkles in the game plans if we get back to that point again.  Also, as much as I loved Hyde and Poyer they aren't as athletic as the new safeties this year.  I'm looking for some optimism here.  Also, we should have enough LB depth where we're not putting AJ Klein on Kelce.  LOL.

Kelce vs Klein- 5 catches 75 yards 2TDs

Kelce vs Milano/Edmunds- 8 catches 96 yards 1TD

• Thank you (+1) 1

Obviously more pressure against Mahomes in the playoffs will help.  That’s nothing earth-shattering or enlightening.  What’s funny is how people look at a couple of 3-point playoff losses as some sign the Bills are not on the Chiefs’ level.  The Bills are right there; the breaks just haven’t gone our way.  Those are two playoff games that were literally a play away from going differently.

With the organization Buffalo has I do expect things to “even out” with the Chiefs over the course of the Allen vs. Mahomes/McD vs. Reid era.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Kelce vs Klein- 5 catches 75 yards 2TDs

Kelce vs Milano/Edmunds- 8 catches 96 yards 1TD

True but Kelce wasn't the same player he once was.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Obviously more pressure against Mahomes in the playoffs will help.  That’s nothing earth-shattering or enlightening.  What’s funny is how people look at a couple of 3-point playoff losses as some sign the Bills are not on the Chiefs’ level.  The Bills are right there; the breaks just haven’t gone our way.  Those are two playoff games that were literally a play away from going differently.

With the organization Buffalo has I do expect things to “even out” with the Chiefs over the course of the Allen vs. Mahomes/McD vs. Reid era.

I appreciate your level-headedness and I agree 

Thank you for your take

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So why does LB depth matter if we can obtain better results vs a diminished Kelce w Klein than Milano

Correlation doesn't equal causation 

It's not apples to oranges... Just because of statistics... That have a thousand variables in game 

The bills , And McDermott have left wide receivers one-on-one with our linebackers... Tremaine and Milano have covered good NFL wide receivers from the slot one on one when they disguise coverages.. Tremaine has ran with Tyreek Hill 1 on 1 over the middle lol

That's how much they trust the linebackers...

Milano runs one-on-one with Kelce on a wheel route... We didn't ask Klein to do that 

Klein dropped in hook curl zones majority... Milano play sideline to sideline... And man's up 35-40 percent... They used combination coverages to hide Klein's weaknesses

Edited by Buffalo716

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

What?

We lose to KC in the playoffs the same way every time- their offense dogwalks our defense. Doesn't matter the personnel, doesn't matter the injuries or lack thereof. You and the author conclude we must continue acquiring defensive personnel to counteract this...despite having already invested enormous amounts of cap space and draft capital on defense to the same results prior. I am saying maybe it's time to try a different approach.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We lose to KC in the playoffs the same way every time- their offense dogwalks our defense. Doesn't matter the personnel, doesn't matter the injuries or lack thereof. You and the author conclude we must continue acquiring defensive personnel to counteract this...despite having already invested enormous amounts of cap space and draft capital on defense to the same results prior. I am saying maybe it's time to try a different approach.

Well I certainly don't think we need to out defense the Chiefs.. though I don't think you're referring to me 

I certainly think we need to outscore them.. 27-24... 31-28... Something like that

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What's your preferred approach because firing McDermott isn't in the cards.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

What's your preferred approach because firing McDermott isn't in the cards.

too late

it was brian thomas jr and malachi corley

then ben johnson/bobby slowik 2025

collect SBs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

too late

it was brian thomas jr and malachi corley

then ben johnson/bobby slowik 2025

collect SBs

I don't think Pegula's firing McDermott unless McD steals his patio furniture or something.  However, what I would do is if lose in similar fashion in the playoffs for the same reasons I wouldn't be opposed to hiring Johnson or Slowik.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.