Joe Marino talks what the Bills have to do to beat KC in playoffs

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You act like we've never had breaks go against us lol

So your argument is that McDermott can get us over the top if we get several breaks going our way and none going against us. I guess, sure. Mike McCarthy managed to win one with that formula. To be honest though the 2022 playoff run was our chance at that... That's what's so depressing about it. We had no major injuries and our offense/QB was bowling a 300. Our kicker wasn't missing and the opponent's kicker was. We parlayed all of that into a divisional round loss... So I take it back, I'm actually not convinced McDermott can win a Super Bowl even under perfect conditions.

The biggest gap between KC and Buffalo by far has been the coaching staff. Allen has outplayed Mahomes in every single match they've played since 2021. I don't want to hear about Donovan McNabb... he never approached the level of QB play we've seen from Allen in the playoffs. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. Even Joe Marino knows it, he just misidentifies the source of the problem.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So your argument is that McDermott can get us over the top if we get several breaks going our way and none going against us. I guess, sure. Mike McCarthy managed to win one with that formula. To be honest though the 2022 playoff run was our chance at that... That's what's so depressing about it. We had no major injuries and our offense/QB was bowling a 300. Our kicker wasn't missing and the opponent's kicker was. We parlayed all of that into a divisional round loss... So I take it back, I'm actually not convinced McDermott can win a Super Bowl even under perfect conditions.

The biggest gap between KC and Buffalo by far has been the coaching staff. Allen has outplayed Mahomes in every single match they've played since 2021. I don't want to hear about Donovan McNabb... he never approached the level of QB play we've seen from Allen in the playoffs. You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. Even Joe Marino knows it, he just misidentifies the source of the problem.

If you don't think McDermott is good enough to win a super bowl just say it..

I'm on record saying the team has been growing with Josh Allen... It just hasn't gone our way 

31 NFL teams every year don't win 

The bills are as close as any team in the NFL... Football is a game of inches 

It always comes down to a couple breaks... They haven't gone the bills way 

Next year they might 

What happens if we destroy it all year and win the super bowl? 

Do all of you guys come here and say you're sorry that you were wrong about McDermott? Did McDermott magically get better? 

Or maybe the chips fall better next year 

We literally are as close as you can be without getting there... Where a couple plays away 

And yes I think he can get over that hump... Now do I give him 10 years, no

McDermott certainly can win a super bowl... And the bills can certainly beat the Chiefs 

Again people here thought 13 seconds was our year to win the super bowl... When we scored 

So if we didn't crap the bed there... Everybody had Faith McDermott was going to get it done... This place was certain we were going to win the AFC championship game and win the super bowl ... People still talk about it today like that was our year 

And the players crapped the bed as much... And forgot how to tackle.... 

The players collapsed as much as any of the coaches in 13 seconds

But yes in a league where the talent is razor thin at the top... And realistically the Chiefs will not go to the super bowl every year 

Yes, I think McDermott still has a chance to win with Josh

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

People said the same thing about Andy Reid in Philadelphia LOL and he's not a different coach 

Sometimes it takes years and years to build the team... Andy Reid has had 11 years building his team in Kansas City.. Sean McDermott has had 7 years 

Andy Reid went to a franchise that was actually good in the 5 or 10 years prior at points.. McDermott took over a team that won 17 years with no postseason 

Worst drought in sports

Patrick mahomes worst record against any franchise is the Buffalo Bills 

We certainly can beat them anytime any day it just hasn't felt that way.. like wide right or 13 seconds 

We're not far away from beating them and we absolutely can win super bowls

THIS!

Bills fans need to realize that as injury-depleted as their defense was for that game they only lost by a missed FG. They had a guy off the street who was going on vacation with his family starting at linebacker...and even he was hurt during the game and needed to sit out a few series. It was just crazy bad luck how that Buffalo defense has been so injury-riddled the last two seasons.

I had my doubts about McD before he beat the NE Patriots and until 2020 the McD Bills hadn't beaten them. Then they swept the Patriots in 2020 and literally destroyed them in the playoffs in 2021, 41-17. 

The only team with more wins over the last five seasons has been the KC Chiefs and the Buffalo Bills have beaten the Chiefs in the regular seasons in 2021-2022-2023. I have faith that McD will get it done.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The bills are as close as any team in the NFL...

I mean this is just factually not true. Jimmy Garappalo and Brock Purdy have gotten closer to hoisting the Lombardi than Josh Allen.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

What happens if we destroy it all year and win the super bowl? 

Do all of you guys come here and say you're sorry that you were wrong about McDermott? Did McDermott magically get better? 

Yes I will absolutely say I was wrong about McDermott if we win a Super Bowl this year. I'm not going to make pre-excuses. If he wins one he can be the coach for life, you can hold me to that later.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

And yes I think he can get over that hump... Now do I give him 10 years, no

We're entering year 8... So next offseason you will be saying it's time to move on? Are you willing to hold yourself to that?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I mean this is just factually not true. Jimmy Garappalo and Brock Purdy have gotten closer to hoisting the Lombardi than Josh Allen.

Yes I will absolutely say I was wrong about McDermott if we win a Super Bowl this year. I'm not going to make pre-excuses. If he wins one he can be the coach for life, you can hold me to that later.

We're entering year 8... So next offseason you will be saying it's time to move on? Are you willing to hold yourself to that?

Burrows been further too

As has Tannehill

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've already said if the bills don't make the playoffs, or if they bow out in the wild card 

I would make a move 

But the funny thing is that people always think the sky is greener... We can certainly get a lot worse after McDermott... Who has built a culture in Buffalo that was not here for a long time 

And it's not a guarantee that culture stays when he leaves

Harbaugh won with a solidly average quarterback in flacco... Can't even get there with two-time MVP lamar... Should they get rid of harbaugh?

Does that mean he's regressed? Or it's situations

Edited by Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've already said if the bills don't make the playoffs, or if they bow out in the wild card 

I would make a move 

But the funny thing is that people always think the sky is greener... We can certainly get a lot worse after McDermott... Who has built a culture in Buffalo that was not here for a long time 

Harbaugh won with a solidly average quarterback in flacco... Can't even get there with two-time MVP lamar... Should they get rid of harbaugh?

It definitely means Harbaugh’s overrated.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would make a move 

So you do give him 10 years? As long as we keep winning in the wildcard round?

I think you've tied yourself into a pretzel. I get it. Being 100% optimistic all the time is more fun. I am finding reasons to still be optimistic about the upcoming season like I always do. But I still have my line in the sand. If you're never willing to move your line, I think you've just accepted being satisfied as an also-ran. Which is fine. I personally cannot be satisfied with that.

Mostly I just get upset thinking about a Josh Allen career that never ends in a Super Bowl win, or even a Super Bowl appearance, which becomes closer to reality every year that passes.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So you do give him 10 years? As long as we keep winning in the wildcard round?

I think you've tied yourself into a pretzel. I get it. Being 100% optimistic all the time is more fun. I am finding reasons to still be optimistic about the upcoming season like I always do. But I still have my line in the sand. If you're never willing to move your line, I think you've just accepted being satisfied as an also-ran. Which is fine. I personally cannot be satisfied with that.

Mostly I just get upset thinking about a Josh Allen career that never ends in a Super Bowl win, or even a Super Bowl appearance, which becomes closer to reality every year that passes.

Football's not black and white... There are a lot of moving pieces 

If the bills look disinterested and don't play good.. yeah I would get rid of McDermott 

If they win 13 games.. but then in the playoffs are missing nine starters.. I'm not going to hold that against him .. there's only so much you can overcome 

If we go into the playoffs healthy.. and we get schlaked... Yea I would get rid of him

But football is one thing that you don't get emotional about... I certainly am a Buffalo Bills Homer.. but I do not parade every single move they make... And I certainly can be critical 

But on the same take.. then harbaugh should be getting flamed too... You could call his super bowl win a fluke run with a mediocre quarterback 

Now with two-time MVP he keeps falling short... So should they can harbaugh? Or does he get a pass... Because he has a roster that can win and he comes up short every year 

But he certainly is considered a top five coach by lots .. he is always praised

Edited by Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Football's not black and white... There are a lot of moving pieces 

If the bills look disinterested and don't play good.. yeah I would get rid of McDermott 

If they win 13 games.. but then in the playoffs are missing nine starters.. I'm not going to hold that against him .. there's only so much you can overcome 

If we go into the playoffs healthy.. and we get schlaked... Yea I would get rid of him

But football is one thing that you don't get emotional about... I certainly am a Buffalo Bills Homer.. but I do not parade every single move they make... And I certainly can be critical 

But on the same take.. then harbaugh should be getting flamed too... You could call his super bowl win a fluke run with a mediocre quarterback 

Now with two-time MVP he keeps falling short... So should they can harbaugh? Or does he get a pass... Because he has a roster that can win and he comes up short every year 

But he certainly is considered a top five coach by lots .. he is always praised

😂😂So McNabb is some all time underrated QB but Flacco is mediocre? Lol might want to do a little side by side 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If the bills look disinterested and don't play good..

This already happened once, at a bare minimum. You could argue it happened this past January depending on how you define disinterested.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

This has happened three times. Please don't say missing DaQuan Jones for a game where the opponent had a backup OL doesn't count.

Like I said, I don't think you really have a line in the sand... The lines you've drawn have already been crossed. Breaks for us, breaks against us, none of it has mattered. The result has been the same. It's not about the situation, it's about the people in charge. After seven years and a myriad of failures we can safely say that.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This already happened once, at a bare minimum. You could argue it happened this past January depending on how you define disinterested.

This has happened three times. Please don't say missing DaQuan Jones for a game where the opponent had a backup OL doesn't count.

Like I said, I don't think you really have a line in the sand... The lines you've drawn have already been crossed. Breaks for us, breaks against us, none of it has mattered. The result has been the same. It's not about the situation, it's about the people in charge. After seven years and a myriad of failures we can safely say that.

The injury thing is so played out

Chiefs won a Superbowl w Mahomes on one leg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

😂😂So McNabb is some all time underrated QB but Flacco is mediocre? Lol might want to do a little side by side 

They played in different eras so you really just can't compare stats... 

Flacco is mediocre for a super bowl winning quarterback.. squarely in the slightly above average as an NFL starter during his career ... He wasn't a bum... Super low echelon for super bowl winners 

But nobody would think he's a better quarterback than McNabb... Flacco isn't going to be on Hall of Fame ballots McNabb is on it

McNabb led the league in yards per game twice ... Let the league in touchdowns per game.. lead the league in interception percentage and his top five for quarterback rush yards

Joe flacco did not do stuff like that... He never made a pro bowl 

Edited by Buffalo716

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I would make a move 

The rest of the NFL is 211-73 (74.3% winning %) since 2020 when they have a QB with a 65 or higher QBR on the year and at least 10 starts. The wheels are not coming off our AFC East dominance if we move on from McD. 

Andy Reid is 15-3 in the playoffs since Mahomes. Prior to that he is 11-13. What is the big breakthrough you expect we will see with McD in the playoffs to make his situation comparable to Reid?

Then for my all time favorite we are eternally screwed stat of McD. Against Joe Burrow on opening drives Burrow is 14 or 14 for 181 yards and 3 TD's. Forget about how Mahomes QBR sky rockets against us at a much higher rate than other teams and even more so in the playoffs. Burrow becomes the baby of Joe Montana and Tom Brady. It's not like we don't have time to consider alternative strategies either. It's not like we don't have time to say, ya, this dude has literally killed us so lets try something totally different. We have had three different opening series and he is yet to throw an incompletion.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The injury thing is so played out

Chiefs won a Superbowl w Mahomes on one leg

Totally. Bengals had like 2 healthy offensive lineman when they ran us of our field in a blowout. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They played in different eras so you really just can't compare stats... 

Flacco is mediocre for a super bowl winning quarterback.. squarely in the slightly above average as an NFL starter during his career ... He wasn't a bum... Super low echelon for super bowl winners 

But nobody would think he's a better quarterback than McNabb... Flacco isn't going to be on Hall of Fame ballots McNabb is on it

McNabb led the league in yards per game twice ... Let the league in touchdowns per game.. lead the league in interception percentage and his top five for quarterback rush yards

Joe flacco did not do stuff like that... He never made a pro bowl 

They're both mediocre, only difference is one had Andy Reid 

Throw Alex Smith in there as well

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It depends what you consider getting schlaked... The Bills lost by 14 to the Chiefs in 2020 

They did get whooped.. but it was their first year as a Big Time competing team... You're not firing your coach after that...

The next bad playoff loss was 2022... Where they did get whooped versus The Bengals.. lost by 17 if I'm correct 

They also won 13 games that year... Had the best point differential in the NFL... And had a player die on the field a few weeks prior...

Sure they were very flat that game... 

I don't think you're getting rid of your coach after a 13 win season .. no NFL team is 

Those were the two times we got thoroughly our asses kicked... And I don't think either time any NFL team is firing the coach

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They're both mediocre, only difference is one had Andy Reid 

Throw Alex Smith in there as well

There's nobody mediocre on the Hall of Fame ballot 

He's the best eagles quarterback ever

Ryan Fitzpatrick was a good quarterback and people call him a bum... He has more yards than Tony Romo 

He was not a bum

People think if you're not a five-time All-Pro you must suck.. but Donovan McNabb was better than Joe flacco 

Besides the super bowl the accolades show it... And super bowl is a team stat not quarterback

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes their blushes were saved by Mahomes missing back to back wide open TDs in the first half and the dumbest rule in football

You think it was a close game because of the final score more power to you. 

When your punter is netting 15 yards I think most teams will likely lose.  Fairly unique situation which set up the play that involved the rule you hate.

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

People said the same thing about Andy Reid in Philadelphia LOL and he's not a different coach 

Sometimes it takes years and years to build the team... Andy Reid has had 11 years building his team in Kansas City.. Sean McDermott has had 7 years 

Andy Reid went to a franchise that was actually good in the 5 or 10 years prior at points.. McDermott took over a team that won 17 years with no postseason 

Worst drought in sports

Patrick mahomes worst record against any franchise is the Buffalo Bills 

We certainly can beat them anytime any day it just hasn't felt that way.. like wide right or 13 seconds 

We're not far away from beating them and we absolutely can win super bowls

I certainly lose trust in this comparison pretty much the second I start reading it around here. 

Right!- Reid needed to go to another team to succeed. Exactly.= McDermott needs to go to another team to succeed. Never understood how Reid and the Chiefs have anything to do or even resemble McD in Buffalo.

McD is still young.. there are a TON of coaches who had very good reg season win totals and couldn’t win a Super Bowl. Plenty. 

But the Reid thing.. He’s not Andy Reid in any way, shape, or form. Reid is offensive. Reid’s pedigree is second to none. Reid had Favre, Young.. ….Reid went to NFC title gameS right away. Reid had JIM JOHNSON.

HAHAHA.. name McDermott’s best coordinators. It’s a joke. And the HC picks the coordinators. I need to see his record on this to start reflecting a “coaching genius” like NOW. Like, Babich and Brady better be head coach candidates at the end of THIS season. (Hopefully for us.)

The only thing Sean McDermott has in common with pre-KC Andy Reid is a few regular season win totals. I guess. 

But this narrative keeps living. If you asked a Philly’s fan right at the end of Reid’s tenure if the Buffalo Bills should accept the Andy Reid coaching blueprint, they’d probably punch you right in the forehead. Why on Earth would any team strive to emulate Reid’s trajectory at that moment as opposed to 20 other great coaches who have won Super Bowls. Bill Belichick being one of them right in the same division. (Don’t we love how the Bills had a front row seat to the greatest dynasty in Sports and the only concept they thought to steal from it was taking on the guy that just got run out of town, allowing the dynasty to commence. Bills just sat back and didn’t do a thing about it for 15 years. You’re Welcome, New England.) The Eagles fans wanted a coach that could win them the big game. Reid may have never ever won a Super Bowl if he stayed in Philly. McDermott may never win a Super Bowl in Buffalo. The only thing we know for sure is that Reid wins them now in KC, and for that coach’s path to become relevant in Buffalo’s plans we need to fire McDermott and hire Kyle Shanahan. Sorry. 

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Thats my issue with McDermott.  We need our entire starting defense to be healthy and active in order to have a prayer in the post season and that still hasn't been enough.  That Bengals offense in 2022 and Chiefs offense in 2023 both showed major vulnerabilities at many points in the season.  We trot out the same game plans and show no ability to take advantage of our opponents injuries or weaknesses.  Is he too scheme dependent? Does his scheme require all pros at every position to succeed?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.