Joe Marino talks what the Bills have to do to beat KC in playoffs

It gets tough in these situations.  It has now become a mental hurdle - there is a psychological aspect which heightens the challenge, especially in future games that are close.  As the clock winds down, the old doubts start creeping in.

But there is tons of precedent for reversing the narrative in sports, i.e.  the Patriots owned Peyton Manning - until they didn't.  He really got the last laugh in that rivalry, and I'm hoping the same for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Andy Reid was considered at the same level of Donovan McNabb when he was fired 

He was considered really good but not good enough to get over the edge ... he was not considered top 3 

That was what people thought of Andy Reid

That is 100% what the league thought of Andy Reid when he was fired... Really good..  couldn't get over the hump...

This is the exact point everyone is making with you. Andy Reid was not considered elite until he had Mahomes. McD has Allen, who’s comparable to Mahomes, why hasn’t he won? I think you’re on board with everyone you just don’t realize it yet. 

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

The Bills need someone else to knock out the Chiefs in the playoffs before we would see them.  That is the way in the McD era.

We failed twice...and both at home....once against the Bengals and the 2nd against the Chiefs.   The Chiefs one was closer and if the team with the stronger will won the game at the end.   The Bengals completely blew us out of Orchard Park.

The Bangles certainly pushed us around more in the playoffs then the Chiefs ever did 

Btw I wouldn’t mind getting pushed around by the Bangles. Especially Susana Hoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What changed in KC is he got the greatest QB of his generation, instead of just a good QB.

KC was a guaranteed playoff blunder every season until Mahomes walked through that door.

Anyway, if you agree Reid doesn’t win 3 or even 1 in Philly, how is he anything but the poster boy for “good coach, but a change in leadership may help your team get over the hump faster?”

We are not the Buffalo McDermotts. We are the Bills.

I'll never understand why people look at it from Reid's perspective and not the Eagles

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

This is the exact point everyone is making with you. Andy Reid was not considered elite until he had Mahomes. McD has Allen, who’s comparable to Mahomes, why hasn’t he won? I think you’re on board with everyone you just don’t realize it yet. 

Yeah but it's circumstances... Andy Reid could have won a super bowl in Philadelphia... They fired him and won with a lesser head coach and a worse quarterback than what he had in Philadelphia

I certainly thought Andy Reid was elite before Kansas City

Winning a super bowl takes as much luck as it does a talented team 

It's not x + y = super bowl

Half of this board thinks we were destined to win the super bowl if 13 seconds didn't happen lol so if everybody thought we were destined to win.... Why not keep the coach with one of the best winning percentages in the NFL... If we lose in the wild card sure get rid of him

8 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Btw I wouldn’t mind getting pushed around by the Bangles. Especially Susana Hoffs. 

Well I speak on my phone so any grammar errors are my phone not picking up me speaking 

I know how to spell bengals.. which I just had to type out

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'll never understand why people look at it from Reid's perspective and not the Eagles

I guess because they think Andy would’ve won 3 in Philly eventually, even though even Philly fans are still like “glad that dude is gone.”

Health, a defense that can make a stop and someone that can make a clutch catch.

It all sounds so simple, but has yet to be done against the Chiefs.

If the Bills keep kicking the can, they will eventually beat the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

We aren't far from beating them in the playoffs lol 

We went to Arrowhead where we were winning with 13 seconds left.. and the team collapsed.. that's as close as you can be to winning 

Last year Tyler bass was taking a field goal to tie the game with 2 minutes left... Again super close 

We were not far... That's literally one or two plays from winning

Josh is the only thing putting us in that position. He is picking the team up, and the coaching staff , and carrying them on his shoulders. 
   That is not “ Super close” that is Super human quarterback play. IF he could get anything that resembled next level coaching to assist him we would have a chance. 
  He doesn’t. You all can see it. The Chiefs were in full control of that last game. We were struggling to be in the position we were in. 

The eagles before drafting Donovan McNabb only made it past the divisional war round once in their entire history 

McNabb helped lead them to a super bowl and four straight NFC championship games... Led the NFL in total offense per game twice 

Led the NFL in total touchdowns per game once

Had the best interception percentage in a season in NFL history before it was broken in the modern era...

Has 37,000 yards and 240 touchdowns... 

Fifth most rushing yards all time by quarterback 

Anybody who is trashing those numbers probably think a football is stuffed with feathers 

It always takes two to tango so I don't want to hear about Andy Reid... Donovan McNabb was really good 

He might not be the best... He certainly was towards the top when he was healthy

And he accomplished that in an era when you could still hit the QB. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

People said the same thing about Andy Reid in Philadelphia LOL and he's not a different coach 

Sometimes it takes years and years to build the team... Andy Reid has had 11 years building his team in Kansas City.. Sean McDermott has had 7 years 

Andy Reid went to a franchise that was actually good in the 5 or 10 years prior at points.. McDermott took over a team that won 17 years with no postseason 

Worst drought in sports

Patrick mahomes worst record against any franchise is the Buffalo Bills 

We certainly can beat them anytime any day it just hasn't felt that way.. like wide right or 13 seconds 

We're not far away from beating them and we absolutely can win super bowls

Brother... WHAT?! 

Andy Reid has 3 SB rings with the team.. so McDermott has 4 years to get 3 rings? What kind of weird comment is this? 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Brother... WHAT?! 

Andy Reid has 3 SB rings with the team.. so McDermott has 4 years to get 3 rings? What kind of weird comment is this? 

The point is Sean McDermott went to a team that didn't go to the playoffs for 17 straight years 

It takes time to build a contender... You don't go from no playoffs in 17 years to the super bowl overnight...

The team realistically wasn't ready to contend in the playoffs until Josh Allen's third year... Sean McDermott was overachieving before then and already reached the playoffs twice 

We're just starting to get Sean McDermott's full vision.. you can't create a full NFL vision in 3 years... 

Andy Reid had a head start on a franchise that was not as big as a perennial loser... And then even bowed out 4 straight times in the wild card or divisional round with the Chiefs 

It took him time to get past the divisional with Kansas City... By the time he had mahomes he had a stacked roster with two Hall of famers on offense...

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

No the point is Andy Reid went to an established team.. a team that was in the playoffs recently before he got there... Real NFL talent 

Sean went to in NFL franchise devoid of top level talent... No playoffs for 17 years a record 

We were starting guys like Andre Holmes at wide receiver... The team was devoid of talent 

Sean guttee and built a team from the bottom up... Reid took over a pretty talented Kansas City team 

He was going to the playoffs without Patrick mahomes... 

The team was ready to win... The Bills team wasn't really ready to win until Josh Allen's 3rd year.. McDermott's 4th 

Everything else was overachieving... Sean McDermott overachieved his first 3 years here

This is a TOTAL whitewash of history. 

We started Andre Holmes because McD let Woods walk and traded Sammy Watkins. 

The 2016 team was much more talented than the 2017 team BECAUSE of McD/Beane

and I’m not saying it was a bad idea. But that’s what happened.

Andy Reid took over a 2-14 team. And they were established?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is a TOTAL whitewash of history. 

We started Andre Holmes because McD let Woods walk and traded Sammy Watkins. 

The 2016 team was much more talented than the 2017 team BECAUSE of McD/Beane

and I’m not saying it was a bad idea. But that’s what happened.

Andy Reid took over a 2-14 team. And they were established?

Go back and reread what I just reposted... I edited it with a clearer post

Kansas City was obviously bad when they hired Reid... They were not 17 years no playoffs of futility ... The bills were considered the joke of the NFL before McDermott

He also lost in the wild card or divisional for years with the Chiefs...

He did not instantly turn them around to super bowl... By the time he got mahomes they were stacked with two Hall of famers on offense

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I guess if you thought the last KC loss was a close game you would think we're not far off

That was a double digit loss 9/10 times it's played imo

13 seconds is a bills win 99/100 times it’s played.  You can do this both ways

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean he still had McNabb in Philly, who may be the most disrespected QB of his time.  That dude could ball and deserves a lot more respect as a QB who was a top 10 QB most of his time in Philly with Reid.  So I cant give Andy a pass in Philly for not having Mahomes.  QB was not his issue there.   

And McNabb's career was saddled with utter gutter trash at WR...most season his best Receiver was a RB...Someone like Gabe Davis would have been one of the best WR's he ever played with.  John Brown is better than most the WR's McNabb ever played with.  Yet he took that team to 5 straight NFCC games and 1 Super Bowl throwing to guys like James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, Freddy Mitchell, Hank Baskett, etc.  

His only legit WR1 in his entire career was the brief time with T.O. before T.O. ruined his 2nd locker room and got shipped to Dallas to sink a 3rd locker room.  

And he was tough...he broke his ankle in a game and still finished the game.  So I very much do think Andy vs Andy is a fair comparison because people wanted Andy gone for not winning a Super Bowl with one of those teams, people felt like he couldn't win.

How could we not say it was because of QB though for Andy?

These facts can't be disputed:

1. You can debate all you want about Mcnabb being a good QB. But he's not even in the same ball park as mahomes

2. When Mcnabb left and wasn't with Andy, he was garbage

3. when Andy left and got an elite QB, he has 3 rings and counting.

So how can we possibly say that QB wasn't the issue holding Andy back in Philly?

If Von is at least 80 percent Von…..

Maybe use that 10 mill on another DE….

And if Rousseau suddenly turns into at least Julius Peppers lite (I know that’s what this staff sees in him) then we’re Super Bowl bound.  

It’s not elite WR this team needs its elite pass rush.  No SB team wins without it.   

Stupid unsexy trenches.  Not as fun as spending 40 million on an elite WR!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Go back and reread what I just reposted... I edited it with a clearer post

Kansas City was obviously bad when they hired Reid... They were not 17 years no playoffs of futility ... The bills were considered the joke of the NFL before McDermott

He also lost in the wild card or divisional for years with the Chiefs...

He did not instantly turn them around to super bowl... By the time he got mahomes they were stacked with two Hall of famers on offense

The 2016 Bills were much better than the 2012 Chiefs. This is legit inarguable lol. 

So the argument is that KC was making the playoffs every year with Reid and built a super team for Mahomes to start in, but the Bills, who make the playoffs every year with Allen, can’t also build a super team? 

So really, the difference is the teambullding of the Chiefs from 13-18 was far superior to the Bills of 19-24? 

Is that your opinion? 

There's been a lot of good posts.  Staying healthy is something that keeps ringing so true to me. We were really in a bad spot by the time the KC game came.  

I'm just not ready to say the D line concerns me yet.  I think there's a lot to like.  Bringing back Jones was important. I think Carter will contribute.  We all really like Oliver.  Epenesa was a smart return. I'm extremely intrigued by Toohill.  There's also a real possibility Von plays good.  Groot has to be motivated to show out.  I'm excited to see what Solomon has.  I believe there's a legit chance we can be good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.