Joe Marino talks what the Bills have to do to beat KC in playoffs

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So you don't think 13 seconds was close either....

What about mahomes having his worst winning percentage against the Buffalo Bills? 

We've been decimated with injuries when we play them in playoffs

That narrative is so over-blown. We were decimated by injuries ONCE out of the 3 playoff losses.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Do you think Allen is closer to McNabb or Mahomes?

That's besides the point 

You don't need Allen or mahomes to win a super bowl... It takes 1 through 52 a true team 

Nick foles won and is a backup... Donovan McNabb is much better... The Bills lost to a backup in the super bowl... The 49ers just went to a super bowl with a quarterback who is not even pro bowl level 

On the flip.. Dan Marino .. who throws the best football of any quarterback I've ever seen never won a super bowl

Mahomes went to a team that was already built... Josh went to a team that was building 

That's the difference in their first 4-5 years.. mahomes went to a really good team 

Josh went to a team of castoffs... McDermott has done nothing but good things with the bills

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ok. And when Andy left, Mcnabb was hot trash and Andy won 3 rings.

Its pretty easy to put the pieces to the puzzle here to who the problem was with Andy not winning, with all due respect 

It's so crazy

Alex Smith was bust and on his way out the league before Reid immediately turns him into a Pro Bowler

But we have to hear.about Donovan McNabb😂😂😂

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's so crazy

Alex Smith was bust and on his way out the league before Reid immediately turns him into a Pro Bowler

Alex Smith was a top pick lol NFL scouts thought he was better than Aaron Rodgers coming out ... 

And he never led the league in touchdown per game.. like Donovan McNabb did twice... 

The bills also would have killed for a quarterback like Alex Smith before Josh Allen lol there's a reason why Andy Reid wanted him 

he's a really good game manager

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's besides the point 

You don't need Allen or mahomes to win a super bowl... It takes 1 through 52 a true team 

Nick foles won and is a backup... Donovan McNabb is much better... The Bills lost to a backup in the super bowl... The 49ers just went to a super bowl with a quarterback who is not even pro bowl level 

On the flip.. Dan Marino .. who throws the best football of any quarterback I've ever seen never won a super bowl

Mahomes went to a team that was already built... Josh went to a team that was building 

That's the difference in their first 4-5 years.. mahomes went to a really good team 

Josh went to a team of castoffs... McDermott has done nothing but good things with the bills

It's very much the point which is why I asked it

Reid gets McNabb who is significantly lesser and turns in rolling NFCCGs and a SB

Give him an elite Mahomes and boom instant dynasty

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's so crazy

Uh...McD turned Tyrod Taylor into a Pro Bowl QB.... 😬

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Alex Smith was a top pick lol NFL scouts thought he was better than Aaron Rodgers coming out 

And he never led the league in touchdown per game.. like Donovan McNabb did twice... Or break the NFL record for interception percentage

The bills also would have killed for a quarterback like Alex Smith before Josh Allen lol there's a reason why Reid wanted him

Alex Smith led the league in passer rating under Reid

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Everyone knows that the defense has been the problem in all these playoff losses to KC.

I tend to think Andy Reid, being McDermott's original mentor, knows a bit about how to beat McD's defense. 

I'm not an expert on the X's and O's, but I think McD needs to somehow switch gears in the playoffs. Instead of doing the same predictable stuff that wins regular season games, they gotta switch some things up in order to kick it up a notch.

Andy has easily memorized every flaw in Sean's gameplan. There's a reason he fired McDermott.  So all I can say is we either hope another team knocks out KC/ Cinncy or McD's mediocre playoff defense will get exposed again & again. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

I like Joe a lot. Wish his podcast had film and more graphics but I think he knows a lot and like to listen often. Didn't see this here and I thought it merited some attention.

What he says here is interesting, and his conclusion may not please a lot of folks here.

Some broad highlights:
1. Recapping the obvious: the Bills play the Chiefs very well in the regular season, in the post-season, not so much

2. As good as Mahomes is, his QB rating against the Bills in the playoffs is far, far higher than against other teams. I roughly recall a 20-point difference or so. 

3. The Chiefs have been very good at letting good players go at the right time

4. Mahomes will obviously be good for a long time, and Jones for a while still, but hopefully a 35-year-old Kelce starts to decline

5. This is the big one — the Bills can't just "out score" the Chiefs in the playoffs, we have to get D line pressure on Mahomes, who might have been sacked just 3 times (if I recall) in 3 playoff games against the Bills.

Joe says this last point is key: pressure that actually gets to Mahomes in the playoffs. Other teams sack him; we don't. He's not invincible but the Bills falter — in the playoffs — getting to Pat.

Joe doesn't get to breaking down what we've been doing wrong and what we can do better but he doesn't think the key is simply getting better on offense. And he points out that Josh always comes to play against KC in the playoffs.

Keep arguing all you want about Bills WRs but the Bills D-line is a big question mark, if not concern, when it comes to stopping our nemesis when it counts.

We lose to the Chiefs 100% because of what happens in the trenches, not who is lined up at WR for either team.  It's undeniable despite many attempts to do so.  

I think in the past, the culprit was Fraziers defense and his soft approach.  In 2023 however, I have to say I think it was less our DL as McD was more aggressive and more our LB injuries that were the issue.  Not having Milano and Bernard hurst our pass rush and going into that game we were decimated at LB.  Leading up to it I kept saying I was nervous because I expected a monster game by Kelce with XFL level LB's on our team and for the Chiefs to just attack that weekness all day, which is exactly what happened. 

Kelce was not the same guy he once was last year, but against our rag tag group of LB's he looked as vintage as ever.  We just had no answer to the Cheifs going hard to exploit our injuries there both in the run and pass game.  Attacking that are of the field is what the Chiefs do best too. 

We still lost by 3 and were maybe a half second and one stepped on foot away from what could have been the go ahead TD to get past them finally despite the major issue at LB.  

So for me, if Milano and Bernard play in that game and I am 100% confident we would have won that game and I think we beat Baltimore too.  Heck, even if just one of them play I still think we win that game.

And I am not making excuses...in 2020 we were not in their league of team yet.  In 2021 we were neck and neck.  In 2022 all we know is we beat them in the one game we played them.  In 2023, we showed we can beat them again and then played them severely short handed and took a very narrow loss where I think the outcome would have been different if we werent missing 2 of our best defenders who were from the same positional group too.  

I think we are already a better team, but a bad DC and some bad injury luck have been our handicap in the postseason.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Alex Smith led the league in passer rating under Reid

With Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce... Two Hall of famers .. and Smith was playing at his peak

Two Hall of famers... And Alex Smith was good... He just wasn't a superstar in San Francisco 

He was solidly a game manager though... And athletic... He's way better than Brock purdy who is on a stacked roster

Andy Reid has had Alex Smith Donovan McNabb and Patrick mahomes... All of those guys are better than the NFC super bowl quarterback in Brock purdy lol 

There's almost 20 pro bowls combined between those guys 

And it always takes two to tango... Reid wasn't going to make Nathan Peterman look good

Alex Smith isn't getting on Hall of Fame ballots in 4 years.. Donovan McNabb does

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Andy has easily memorized every flaw in Sean's gameplan. There's a reason he fired McDermott.  So all I can say is we either hope another team knocks out KC/ Cinncy or McD's mediocre playoff defense will get exposed again & again. 

Yeah, at some point he's gotta realize that it takes a little more creativity and intensity to win in the playoffs against the great QBs. With his rigid style, I'm not sure he'll ever do it, but maybe just enough to get lucky. 

57 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think the key is that the defense has been decimated by injuries, and the effectiveness of some of the players who were playing was hampered by injuries as well.

I think the big reason the Bills have been better in the regular season is because they were healthier at the time. And it isn't that surprising that the Chiefs are more focused and bringing it more in the playoffs. Certainly.

But if you look at the list of names of players missing on defense in those elimination games, it makes sense. Maybe it is a cop out, but it is silly to think that defensive injuries hasn't been a major factor.

That was absolutely the case this past year.  The defense we put on the field for that game didn't stand a chance of slowing down Mahomes and Kelce.  We were forced to play guys who had just come off the couch and others who could barely run due to injuries. 

Who were we missing in 2021?  All I can remember is Tre.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Andy Reid couldn't win for 12 years with Philadelphia in the big one

He actually couldn’t win it ever in Philly. 

Philly canned him and won a SB before he did. 

if McD is Andy in this comparison, and we are the Eagles, it’s absolutely in our benefit to fire McD lol 

I don’t care if McD goes and wins 3 SB’s with another team. 

Just now, FireChans said:

He actually couldn’t win it ever in Philly. 

Philly canned him and won a SB before he did. 

if McD is Andy in this comparison, and we are the Eagles, it’s absolutely in our benefit to fire McD lol 

I don’t care if McD goes and wins 3 SB’s with another team. 

I understand he didn't win in Philly... But nothing about his coaching changed when he went to Kansas City 

It takes a mixture of skill preparation and luck to win a super bowl

He was good enough to do it in Philly... Stars didn't align... They fired him for a worse coach... Who won a super bowl 

Then reid goes off and wins three... Now does he win three if he stays in Philly? No it doesn't work like that 

But he always had it... He didn't magically get better in Kansas City 

The Stars just aligned...

He did not become a savant magically when he left

58 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

The issue with the Andy Reid comparison is  Andy Reid didn't have Patrick Mahomes in Philly.

Mahomes helped put him over the top in KC

McDermott has Josh Allen and Josh Allen has excelled in the playoffs.

It comes back to McDermotts defence not performing or major coaching gaffes in critical times. (13 seconds)

I mean he still had McNabb in Philly, who may be the most disrespected QB of his time.  That dude could ball and deserves a lot more respect as a QB who was a top 10 QB most of his time in Philly with Reid.  So I cant give Andy a pass in Philly for not having Mahomes.  QB was not his issue there.   

And McNabb's career was saddled with utter gutter trash at WR...most season his best Receiver was a RB...Someone like Gabe Davis would have been one of the best WR's he ever played with.  John Brown is better than most the WR's McNabb ever played with.  Yet he took that team to 5 straight NFCC games and 1 Super Bowl throwing to guys like James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, Freddy Mitchell, Hank Baskett, etc.  

His only legit WR1 in his entire career was the brief time with T.O. before T.O. ruined his 2nd locker room and got shipped to Dallas to sink a 3rd locker room.  

And he was tough...he broke his ankle in a game and still finished the game.  So I very much do think Andy vs Andy is a fair comparison because people wanted Andy gone for not winning a Super Bowl with one of those teams, people felt like he couldn't win.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I understand he didn't win in Philly... But nothing about his coaching changed when he went to Kansas City 

It takes a mixture of skill preparation and luck to win a super bowl

He was good enough to do it in Philly... Stars didn't align... They fired him for a worse coach... Who won a super bowl 

Then reid goes off and wins three... Now does he win three if he stays in Philly? No it doesn't work like that 

But he always had it... He didn't magically get better in Kansas City 

The Stars just aligned...

He did not become a savant magically when he left

What changed in KC is he got the greatest QB of his generation, instead of just a good QB.

KC was a guaranteed playoff blunder every season until Mahomes walked through that door.

Anyway, if you agree Reid doesn’t win 3 or even 1 in Philly, how is he anything but the poster boy for “good coach, but a change in leadership may help your team get over the hump faster?”

We are not the Buffalo McDermotts. We are the Bills.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What changed in KC is he got the greatest QB of his generation, instead of just a good QB.

KC was a guaranteed playoff blunder every season until Mahomes walked through that door.

Anyway, if you agree Reid doesn’t win 3 or even 1 in Philly, how is he anything but the poster boy for “good coach, but a change in leadership may help your team get over the hump faster?”

We are not the Buffalo McDermotts. We are the Bills.

Well we know he didn't win one in Philly.. but he certainly had the coaching chops to do it 

And there have been plenty of worst quarterbacks then McNabb to win a super bowl...

It just shows the Stars didn't align in Philly which is my point... 

Why didn't Dan Marino win a super bowl and he's the greatest passer ever? It takes a lot more than just a quarterback and a coach 

It takes an entire roster 1 through 52... 

Andy Reid was good enough to win a super bowl in Philadelphia the Stars just didn't align... If McDermott gets fired and he wins a super bowl before the bills ...

Is he unfireable? No ... I would get rid of him if we didn't make the playoffs

Edited by Buffalo716

The Bills have been outplayed by most of the good teams in the Playoffs.    We really just have that one dominating victory against NE in the playoffs and have scraped past average teams (Miami, Pittsburgh, Colts, Ravens).    We have lost to the Chiefs and Bengals and they held us in check.  We couldn't make more plays than them and handing our playoff exits early. 

The Bills need to build a bully on both the offense and defense for winning in the playoffs and the Superbowl

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

We're not far away from beating them and we absolutely can win super bowls

This !!!   The difference between the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals and the Ravens is very narrow.  The team that has the better will on that day will win.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The Bills have been outplayed by most of the good teams in the Playoffs.    We really just have that one dominating victory against NE in the playoffs and have scraped past average teams (Miami, Pittsburgh, Colts, Ravens).    We have lost to the Chiefs and Bengals and they held us in check.  We couldn't make more plays than them and handing our playoff exits early. 

The Bills need to build a bully on both the offense and defense for winning in the playoffs and the Superbowl

This !!!   The difference between the Bills, Chiefs, Bengals and the Ravens is very narrow.  The team that has the better will on that day will win.

People here are acting like where the University at Buffalo trying to beat Alabama crimson Tide lol

Yeah that's never going to happen....

Any professional football team could win any Sunday... They are all filled with the best

The margin of talent in the NFL is very slim... And we're at the top of the NFL consistency for the last four or five years...

You're absolutely right it's very narrow and the people who are disagreeing with that are just not willing to see

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.