Joe Marino talks what the Bills have to do to beat KC in playoffs

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is my fear. Next offseason Pegula and the fans will justify it as "it was a planned rebuild year" and Josh Allen will be 31 years old before we decide to try again with different people in charge. Personally I think five years of elite QB play is more than enough time to make a judgment about a head coach, excuses be damned. But yes I suspect that's where the conversation will be next year, unfortunately.

I don't think Pegula will replace him. Even if we miss the playoffs. 

On 6/4/2024 at 4:34 PM, BillsFan130 said:

The issue with the Andy Reid comparison is  Andy Reid didn't have Patrick Mahomes in Philly.

Mahomes helped put him over the top in KC

McDermott has Josh Allen and Josh Allen has excelled in the playoffs.

It comes back to McDermotts defence not performing or major coaching gaffes in critical times. (13 seconds)

I don't like "never", but agree that it is yet to be seen in the big games with KC.

They need to do some better self scouting of how their defense will be attacked and we desperately need better luck on the injury front.

Last year it was clear we did not have the depth needed around the box with injuries to LBs, DL as well as Taron, Benford, and Douglas who are good at playing down low or coming up to make stops.

I think as good as Benford has been for us when healthy he has not been able to suit up for any of our playoff games.

KC countered with a lot of heavy 3-TE alignments that took advantage of those mismatches.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

People on here just say whatever. When your conclusion is "McDermott is a Super Bowl caliber coach," you kind of have to make weird justifications elsewhere to support that.

At this point I don't expect anybody to change their mind. Can everyone at least agree that if we're in the exact same boat next offseason, McDermott should 100% be fired? Can we not make pre-excuses or justifications and just concede that if we once again fail to even come close to a Super Bowl win that it's time for a change?

McDermott?  With this cast of misfit WRs?  McDermott has a chance to punch above his weight here, show some coaching chops, but at little to no risk.  This is sub-par talent and as is now a reset (I can't quite call it a rebuild because they didn't do the double dip at WR)

Wouldn't Beane be at risk?  It was Beane who moved Diggs.  It was Beane who only took one WR.  It was Beane who passed on getting a reasonable FA WR like say OBJ instead of retreads Hollins/MVS/Claypool.  

Normally I would say Beane might be on the hot sea but I think this situation was cleared with Pegula, and if so, clemency would be given for this year.

13 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

McDermott?  With this cast of misfit WRs?  McDermott has a chance to punch above his weight here, show some coaching chops, but at little to no risk.  This is sub-par talent and as is now a reset (I can't quite call it a rebuild because they didn't do the double dip at WR)

Wouldn't Beane be at risk?  It was Beane who moved Diggs.  It was Beane who only took one WR.  It was Beane who passed on getting a reasonable FA WR like say OBJ instead of retreads Hollins/MVS/Claypool.  

Normally I would say Beane might be on the hot sea but I think this situation was cleared with Pegula, and if so, clemency would be given for this year.

Whether Beane/McDermott is responsible for this year's result kind of misses the point imo

I believe Allen's floor is minimum wildcard round... unfortunately we've seen our ceiling and it's well short of the super bowl, with good rosters and lesser ones. Basically Allen establishes our baseline and the coaches/FO cap it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

i don't see the bills beating the chiefs anytime soon.

However those same chiefs fans are currently getting outclassed by another new york team.   The Yankees are killing the royals in KC and I am really enjoying it.

• Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Whether Beane/McDermott is responsible for this year's result kind of misses the point imo

I believe Allen's floor is minimum wildcard round... unfortunately we've seen our ceiling and it's well short of the super bowl, with good rosters and lesser ones. Basically Allen establishes our baseline and the coaches/FO cap it.

808, that's one of the better ways of assessing our situation these last 4 years. Beane took a HR swing on Von Miller and it failed miserably. It wasn't Brandon's fault that Von got injured but the signing based on age & longevity was a big risk. McDermott's legacy will always be twofold. 1) Did he waste Josh's career?....2) Why couldn't his defenses make a couple critical playoff stops against Mahomes/Burrow.  And as the McD supporters continue to rationalize,  "give him a chance,  it took Andy several years"....but just remember,  there's a reason Andy fired Sean.

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

No Pegula holding Beane/McDermott responsible is very pertinent to any firings regardless of your criteria.  That is the point. 

If Pegula was an active participant in choosing a reset, his expectations for the season would be lowered - and not in line with your belief that Allen's floor is the wildcard round.

13 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

i don't see the bills beating the chiefs anytime soon.

However those same chiefs fans are currently getting outclassed by another new york team.   The Yankees are killing the royals in KC and I am really enjoying it.

I was thinking the same watching the Yankees this week.  At least the Bills give the Chiefs a pretty good fight.  The Royals got nuthin'.

• Like (+1) 1

90% of us fans all thought that the Bills had to play KC here in Buffalo, and it would do the trick.

Turns out that was wrong. KC is just better all around. No shame in that honestly. 

They reality is we are all focused on KC, while teams like Houston, Cleveland, maybe Pittsburgh are all going to be even better than they were. Add Cincy, possibly Miami & the NY Jets. The AFC isn't easy. 

7 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No Pegula holding Beane/McDermott responsible is very pertinent to any firings regardless of your criteria.  That is the point. 

If Pegula was an active participant in choosing a reset, his expectations for the season would be lowered - and not in line with your belief that Allen's floor is the wildcard round.

I think the fortunes of this team have very little to do w Pegula's influence on roster

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think the fortunes of this team have very little to do w Pegula's influence on roster

Do you think if we don't make the playoffs, Pegula will clean house? 

Because, I kind of don't think he will, that Pegula gave the blessing on this reset.  

18 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Because, I kind of don't think he will, that Pegula gave the blessing on this reset.  

No I don't because like I said, I see very little of his influence on the Buffalo Bills roster and operations 

I think he has pretty much given Beane and McDermott the greenlight to do whatever they want

37 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Pegula values stability more than being number one in my opinion 

On 6/11/2024 at 6:52 PM, GoBills808 said:

I don't think we've seen Allen's floor or ceiling yet.  Think of the '68, '71 or '76 Bills.  I watched those teams play.  Even Allen couldn't have carried those inept squads to the playoffs.  His basement is below wildcard because the rest of the roster matters.  

As for ceiling, let me ask: In what season did the Bills have the best roster in the NFL when entering the playoffs?   Personally, I don't think that's happened yet.  Not even close. 

So personally I don't understand why anyone is saying McD's coaching has capped the Bills playoff performance.  McD usually exits the playoffs about where you'd expect, given the talent of the team that takes the field.  I'd be happier if he overperformed in the playoffs but that hasn't happened yet.  He has at times overperformed (vis-a-vis the strength of the roster) in the regular season. 

Beane still has some work to do.  He drafted Allen and has built, overall, a good collection of players.  But it's not a great one.  It's not at the KC level.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't think we've seen Allen's floor or ceiling yet.  Think of the '68, '71 or '76 Bills.  I watched those teams play.  Even Allen couldn't have carried those inept squads to the playoffs.  His basement is below wildcard because the rest of the roster matters.  

As for ceiling, let me ask: In what season did the Bills have the best roster in the NFL when entering the playoffs?   Personally, I don't think that's happened yet.  Not even close. 

So personally I don't understand why anyone is saying McD's coaching has capped the Bills playoff performance.  McD usually exits the playoffs about where you'd expect, given the talent of the team that takes the field.  I'd be happier if he overperformed in the playoffs but that hasn't happened yet.  He has at times overperformed (vis-a-vis the strength of the roster) in the regular season. 

Beane still has some work to do.  He drafted Allen and has built, overall, a good collection of players.  But it's not a great one.  It's not at the KC level.  

So many ways to refute this but I'd start by asking if your argument is that the only avenue to perform at expectation is your relative roster strength, because it seems to follow then that your HC doesn't matter/isn't very good

...except we know that teams do in fact beat other more talented/better rostered teams all the time. We saw it last year when the Chiefs beat the Niners and Ravens....or when the Bucs beat the Eagles...or when the Packers beat the Cowboys...also the year before when the Chiefs beat the Eagles in the Super bowl, or the year before that when the Bengals beat the Chiefs in the acfcg. Happens all the time

If you prefer to say our coaching is capped by the strength of our roster knock yourself out. I just don't see how that's anything but an admission we have an entirely disposable staff

• Like (+1) 1

Luck.  Miracles.  Angels on the field.  Something like that

19 hours ago, DrBob806 said:

90% of us fans all thought that the Bills had to play KC here in Buffalo, and it would do the trick.

Turns out that was wrong. KC is just better all around. No shame in that honestly. 

They reality is we are all focused on KC, while teams like Houston, Cleveland, maybe Pittsburgh are all going to be even better than they were. Add Cincy, possibly Miami & the NY Jets. The AFC isn't easy. 

I didn't know 3 teams could all be better than the SB winner! 

55 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So many ways to refute this but I'd start by asking if your argument is that the only avenue to perform at expectation is your relative roster strength, because it seems to follow then that your HC doesn't matter/isn't very good

...except we know that teams do in fact beat other more talented/better rostered teams all the time. We saw it last year when the Chiefs beat the Niners and Ravens....or when the Bucs beat the Eagles...or when the Packers beat the Cowboys...also the year before when the Chiefs beat the Eagles in the Super bowl, or the year before that when the Bengals beat the Chiefs in the acfcg. Happens all the time

If you prefer to say our coaching is capped by the strength of our roster knock yourself out. I just don't see how that's anything but an admission we have an entirely disposable staff

Maybe I wasn't clear.

I think coaches make a huge difference.  The best coaches get the best out of their teams.  They win more games than you'd expect given the strength of the roster.

The worst coaches underperform vis-a-vis the roster.

I think McD has performed at the level of his roster or above (depending on which season or postseason we want to talk about).  

I probably don't think the roster has been as good as you think.  And I think it's unwise to fire a coach who tends to overperform just because he hasn't won a SB yet.  Andy Reid would have been fired many times if that was the case.  

Years past, we've gone into seasons with a 0% chance of earning a Lombardi.   With Beane & McD, I rate our chances every year at around 10% - among the league's best.  To improve our chances, we need to build a better roster.  We can either (1) allow Beane to grow into his job, or (2) replace him with someone better.   I don't think firing McD is likely to improve our odds. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe I wasn't clear.

I think coaches make a huge difference.  The best coaches get the best out of their teams.  They win more games than you'd expect given the strength of the roster.

The worst coaches underperform vis-a-vis the roster.

I think McD has performed at the level of his roster or above (depending on which season or postseason we want to talk about).  

I probably don't think the roster has been as good as you think.  And I think it's unwise to fire a coach who tends to overperform just because he hasn't won a SB yet.  Andy Reid would have been fired many times if that was the case.  

Years past, we've gone into seasons with a 0% chance of earning a Lombardi.   With Beane & McD, I rate our chances every year at around 10% - among the league's best.  To improve our chances, we need to build a better roster.  We can either (1) allow Beane to grow into his job, or (2) replace him with someone better.   I don't think firing McD is likely to improve our odds. 

Yes, yes, YES.

Another "blame Beane for drafting playoff no-show defenders in the first and second round for half a decade" guy! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.