How important is superbowl experience?

The Super Bowl experience is fine but just getting there at this point isn't enough for me personally. I want (hope) to see the Bills win one before I take a permanent dirt nap.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What a prick.

But I agree with him. Superbowl experience doesn't mean a whole lot. I think playoff experience means more. You rarely see a team make the playoffs for the first time in a long time and then go on a long run and make the Superbowl. They usually make the playoffs, get beat, and then do better in future years. Not always, of course, but often.

I know Cincinnati did that in 2021, but they are an outlier, I think.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, just look at 9/11, that was the first time those guys had a chance to do what they did and they executed at a high level so I'm not sure experience plays as big a factor as some other people think.......

Next Question...

Eyes Omg GIF

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Well, just look at 9/11, that was the first time those guys had a chance to do what they did and they executed at a high level so I'm not sure experience plays as big a factor as some other people think.......

Next Question...

Eyes Omg GIF

Guess we found McDermott's burner account 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, MJS said:

What a prick.

But I agree with him. Superbowl experience doesn't mean a whole lot. I think playoff experience means more. You rarely see a team make the playoffs for the first time in a long time and then go on a long run and make the Superbowl. They usually make the playoffs, get beat, and then do better in future years. Not always, of course, but often.

I know Cincinnati did that in 2021, but they are an outlier, I think.

I mean it does mean something, it's just at the point when you get to the Super Bowl you've already had to go through so many hoops to get there and are generally always playing another very good team or at least a very competent one and have to be one yourself. So the amount of bump in your odds wouldn't be all that noticeable.

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it does mean something, it's just at the point when you get to the Super Bowl you've already had to go through so many hoops to get there and are generally always playing another very good team or at least a very competent one and have to be one yourself. So the amount of bump in your odds wouldn't be all that noticeable.

I think it would mean something if you were a team like the Chiefs who has been getting there so many times very recently. Then you have multiple superbowls of experiences to look back on and pull from. That's about the same as playoff experience.

But for the vast majority of teams, that just is not applicable. Most teams, if they get there, they don't go back year after year. And your team has so much turnover that by the time you get back, if you ever do, the experience doesn't apply. Most of the team is new anyway.

Getting to the superbowl every year for the Bills in the 90's I think was at least of marginal value in aiding them in getting back there year after year, even if they didn't win one.

I just think there are a bunch of other factors that are much more important. But everything helps, I suppose.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I think it would mean something if you were a team like the Chiefs who has been getting there so many times very recently. Then you have multiple superbowls of experiences to look back on and pull from. That's about the same as playoff experience.

But for the vast majority of teams, that just is not applicable. Most teams, if they get there, they don't go back year after year. And your team has so much turnover that by the time you get back, if you ever do, the experience doesn't apply. Most of the team is new anyway.

Getting to the superbowl every year for the Bills in the 90's I think was at least of marginal value in aiding them in getting back there year after year, even if they didn't win one.

I just think there are a bunch of other factors that are much more important. But everything helps, I suppose.

Yeah that's true, so much goes into getting there that it's a ridiculous thing to consider as a way for a team to improve to win it, you get there just do it then. The point I was just trying to make was that I'm sure it does technically add something in the same way playoff experience does, even if it's not a realistic idea.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.