Peak Fake News: McAfee comments on Caitlin Clark as spun by The NY Times

“The only place in the Disney media kingdom where you could possibly get away with calling a 22-year-old woman a “White b—-” is on ESPN on weekday afternoons.”

Of course McAfee had to “apologize”

My goodness!  He called her what??!!!

Here is the segment:

Andrew Marchand wants to make the story about McAfee - not the obvious resentment and flat out hatred toward Clark and why that’s the case. 

That’s what ESPN and most other state run media spent all day yesterday spinning this as.  

I don't care to listen to McAfee.

But it is true that there is widespread resentment by black players of the attention that Caitlin Clark garners.

Reminds me of the whole Larry Bird thing in the 80s, but that was more about fans resenting him than his fellow players. To their credit, male NBA players were kind of like jazz musicians. Yeah, they'd joke about the white guy, but as soon as he showed he really had the chops there were no questions he belonged in the band.

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

But it is true that there is widespread resentment by black players of the attention that Caitlin Clark garners.

Reminds me of the whole Larry Bird thing in the 80s, but that was more about fans resenting him than his fellow players. To their credit, male NBA players were kind of like jazz musicians. Yeah, they'd joke about the white guy, but as soon as he showed he really had the chops there were no questions he belonged in the band.

I don’t really recall all that, but I’m not a basketball fan.  I also wasn’t around for that whole zoot suit riot and the Glenn Miller Band, but you paint a tapestry with vivid colors!  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don’t really recall all that, but I’m not a basketball fan.  I also wasn’t around for that whole zoot suit riot and the Glenn Miller Band, but you paint a tapestry with vivid colors!  

But you were around on the day the music died. (for the second time)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynyrd_Skynyrd_plane_crash

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

But you were around on the day the music died. (for the second time)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynyrd_Skynyrd_plane_crash

Yes, in fact it was right after that when a friend introduced me to LS.  He had the Street Survivors album with the band members in flames, and that sort of rocked me a bit and o started listening a bit more intently.

Screen name came about because the first album I ever bought was “Pronounced LS”.  

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Yes, in fact it was right after that when a friend introduced me to LS.  He had the Street Survivors album with the band members in flames, and that sort of rocked me a bit and o started listening a bit more intently.

Screen name came about because the first album I ever bought was “Pronounced LS”.  

I think I was about 13? Some kid's older brother wore a black armband to honor them. Really.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think I was about 13? Some kid's older brother wore a black armband to honor them. Really.

I was a sensitive kid--not black armband sensitive, but it bothered me.  I heard an interview with Artemus Pyle (drummer) a few years ago.  He told the story about how it happened, what went wrong, and getting shot coming up to a house looking for help because the homeowner thought he was coming to rob him.  Absolutely avoidable accident.    

Oh, and I may have to rethink the age-related comments directed your way.  I've got a couple years on you.  Oh, well, I guess I'll have to ring the doorbell @B-Man mcmansion as he has a couple years on me. 

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Here is what ESPN ordered him to say about this ridiculousness 

No, he doesn’t have to apologize.  

Sounds sincere enough to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

These professional women's basketball players jealous of the attention Clark is getting are missing the big picture. Its in their best interests to put their emotions aside and think of the implications beyond the limelight. What all this attention does is enhance the overall popularity of the league. Which can bring more fans to the areas and more eyes on the broadcasts. Which in turn can lead to higher revenues for the league and much higher paychecks for the players. 

• Agree 1

Last night at around 9 I saw this tweet from Angel Reese…

By 11 pm ESPN put out this piece of news with the headline:

Security steps in between man, Sky's Chennedy Carter at team hotel

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40288404/security-steps-man-sky-chennedy-carter-team-hotel

So here we go - it sounds like after 2 plus days of negative publicity for their assaulting Clark, the Sky have decided to claim that they are being harassed!  Potentially worse!

And ESPN running with it. 

Video of this “incident:”

Christian Laetner didn’t see the court if I recall with the dream team. 

They hate her.  Such a disgrace.  I never want to hear them complaining about pay or anything really, ever.   

The WNBA can't seem to get out of its own way.

The Caitlin Clark phenomenon finally offered them a golden opportunity to move up a notch or three in the American spectator sports power rankings.

They're saying a collective "no thanks."

They'll get it in time, just as the old Detroit Pistons style gave way to MJ and the Bulls and ultimately to the new style of game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1