OTAs 6/4

46 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm surprised more fans aren't pounding for Beane to trade them Knox with Waller retiring. 

That would be an absolutely terrible decision.  

Just terrible.

• Agree 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm surprised more fans aren't pounding for Beane to trade them Knox with Waller retiring. 

Completely missed that Waller was considering retiring.  He burst onto the scene and almost as quickly faded because of injuries.  

Edited by Doc

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Doyle to the Giants in 3…2…1…

Dude wrecked his knee...and then played on it because the team needed him to.

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Good to know Miller can at least get sacks off people who never played football before.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 9

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Dude wrecked his knee...and then played on it because the team needed him to.

Good to know Miller can at least get sacks off people who never played football before.

Reminiscent of the epic Maybin v Wang camp battle of yesteryear.  Iron sharpens iron.

• Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Who we talking about?

I'm assuming Douglas?....

He gives off weird vibes.  I like him, think he's going to help us this year, but not sure he's long term for this team. 

• Agree 1

I might be the only one who still has a little faith in Von.

I didn't see any bend last year at all...he didn't even attempt.  He would just lock up with a OT every single time.  He didn't even try a speed outside rush.

I just think he needs to get over the mental issue of making quick and sharp cuts on that knee.  Then we will see the production increase IMO.

He's too good to just be completely done.  He had 8 sacks in 11 games prior to getting hurt.  It's still there physically, just mentally it's holding him back.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Tommy had real potential. So sad. That playoff td will be his career highlight no doubt. 

Tough guy with all-world athletic ability. He just couldn't stay healthy. Hopefully he catches on somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

I wonder if maybe we should trade Knox to the Giants? 🧐

45 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

That would be an absolutely terrible decision.  

Just terrible.

43 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They aren’t trading Knox.

Let me open by saying I am not advocating for or expecting a Knox trade, but I also would not rule it out.  

First, under Brady the team ran a lot less 12 personnel last year, so keeping him just for that isn't as critical at this stage.  Although, to be fair, we don't actually know what a real Brady led offense is going to look like yet either, so he could have a lot more 12 personnel plans this year.  But...and most importantly...Knox carries a reasonable cap hit this year at $7.7m, but that balloons to $14m next year which there is no way we are paying Knox $14m next year.  Obviously, there are multiple options to deal with that, and trading him is one of those.

Cap wise, it's probably easier to find a trade partner this year.  And Knox absolutely has tradable value as he was a productive TE before we drafted Kincaid despite not being a featured part of the offense.  The 2 years prior he had 15 TDS and avg nearly 50 rec and 500 yards.  He is a good all around TE and would absolutely be an upgrade on a number of teams around the NFL, some with playoff aspirations this year.

So right now might be the best market Beane will see for a Knox trade.  Another season buried on the target priority list behind Keon, Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel, and our RB's means another down year for production do to lack of opportunity (unless injuries change that) here which puts him next year 2 years out from when he was last productive while carrying a $14m price tag.  

But...Given our plans, the continued SB aspirations this year, the amount of turnover already on the offense, etc I still don't expect to see a trade happen.  But, I would not rule it out for the reasons I already stated, especially since this may be Beane's one shot of getting decent value for him via trade.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Updates from Matt Parrino:

The offense was a bit sloppy today. A ton of pre-snap penalities and a few times they were visibly frustrated.

Big day for Von Miller. He had what could have been two sacks in a real game situation and enjoyed his matchup against La'el Collins on multiple occasions. Looked to be moving well and he said afterwards he's been practicing all offseason without a brace. He also said his confidence has definitely been tested after the struggles last season. "But at the end of the day that's all I got - my optimism and faith."

Von said he feels like he still has a few years left and wants to play for his kids, who are now starting to understand what their dad does.

New Bills linebacker Deion Jones made a splash play with an interception after a tipped ball by Damar Hamlin. It was a bad pass by Allen and Hamlin could have made the interception himself but it popped up off his hands. Jones came flying to make the interception.

I didn't see Dawson Knox, Dion Dawkins, Dawuane Smoot, Justin Shorter, KJ Hamler, DeShawn Williams, Rasul Douglas, or Nicholas Morrow at practice. Reggie Gilliam and Ede Ulofoshio were working off to the side.

Mitch Trubisky to Chase Claypool was the offensive play of the day. Claypool broke free down the middle of the field on a deep route and Trubisky fit in a perfect pass in for Claypool with safety Cole Bishop the closest defender on the play. Bishop popped a little more overall. He seemed to be moving with more meaning. It seems like things are slowing a little bit and he seemed to be doing a ton when he was in during team drills.

Josh Allen found Marquez Valdez-Scantling on another nice connection. Taylor Rapp and Christian Benford were in the area but MVS ran a precise route and Allen zoomed it in there.

DeWayne Carter is going to be fun to watch when the pads come on. The guy is always flying around the field. He had a hand in a sack on Trubisky at one point, combining with Kingsley Jonathan on the play. Carter had a play later on where he chased down the running back from away from the play. He didn't land but he finished out the rep to the very end.

UDFA David Ugwoegbu had a sack during team drills. Backup QB Shane Buechelle hung on to the ball too long and the rookie made him pay.

Claypool's footwork is impressive on his routes. He dropped Kaiir Elam on one play where he quickly changed direction and made an easy catch.

Ed Oliver batted down Trubisky pass and gave Alec Anderson and La'el Collins the business on his rush. Ed seems to tone it down in these types of practices but when he just goes it's a huge problem for the line.

A feisty rep between Keon Coleman and Ja'Marcus Ingram was a highlight of the day. The ball didn't even go in that area of the field but the two were pushing and shoving and it spilled all the way off the field and into the defensive sideline. The defense made a ton of noise as the two battled. Coleman came back on the next route and appeared to beat Ingram with a nice route/move, but the ball went to the other side.

Two lower end of the roster standouts were cornerback Daequan Hardy and wide receiver Bryan Thompson. Hardy had a pass breakup on a nice explosive close out on a short pass from Trubisky, who lives a little dangerously sometimes with how long he holds it and then where he decides to go. Thompson made a great grab on the sideline and got a ton of work during team drills, making a few grabs. Another under-the-radar guy to watch this summer.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.