What’s on your football bucket list?

appoo

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's always been on my list.

But ... should it be? I mean, one of those citadels of football and all that. But is the experience that great?

I can't help but think back to when I was all excited to go to Wrigley and Fenway. Then I went and was underwhelmed. Wow, old, with terrible sightlines, restrooms, food ...

Lambeau the stadium is nothing special, but I thought the area was pretty cool. You’re driving around in this residential neighborhood and all of a sudden there is a stadium surrounded by what could be Cheektowaga. It was a like a space ship had just landed there,  looking out of place. It’s a little like what I remember about going to the Rockpile. Instead of leveling everything and creating huge parking lots like in OP, everybody parks and tailgates in people’s yards. Houses have signs in their yards saying “PARK & PEE $20”. The price goes up as you get closer to the stadium. They either bring in porta-potties or let you into the house to use the bathroom.

I’ve never seen anything quite like it before, so I enjoyed a different experience. But again, nothing special about the stadium itself.

BTW - I’d love to see Wrigley and Fenway once, and I don’t even like baseball. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

Lambeau the stadium is nothing special, but I thought the area was pretty cool. You’re driving around in this residential neighborhood and all of a sudden there is a stadium surrounded by what could be Cheektowaga. It was a like a space ship had just landed there,  looking out of place. It’s a little like what I remember about going to the Rockpile. Instead of leveling everything and creating huge parking lots like in OP, everybody parks and tailgates in people yards. People have signs in their yards saying “PARK & PEE $20”. The price goes up as you get closer to the stadium. They either bring in porta-potties or let you into the house to use the bathroom.

I’ve never seen anything quite like it before, so I enjoyed a different experience. But again, nothing special about the stadium itself.

BTW - I’d love to see Wrigley and Fenway once, and I don’t even like baseball. 

Wrigley during the day is great. A true must do experience.  At night not so much. Neighborhood is sketchy. Not as bad as where White Sox play but still just not fun place to walk at night.

Fenway is just amazing! Probably the best non Bills sports experiences I've ever had. Been there multiple times.  

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Awesome!  My wife and her youngest brother are too, and this was our plan.  I am gonna be 48 in July and my wife just turned 30 two weeks ago.  So I told her if she wants more than 1, we need to do them back to back as I don't wanna be popping kids out in my 50's lol.  And she was all for it given she loved being so close in age to her younger brother.  And we were blessed to get preggos right away both times, so it worked out nicely.  Although I am a little terrified of having 2 of these things running around here soon, I am already exhausted as it is now hahaha.

Age 2-6 is tough. After that you will be so happy you had them back to back!

I too want to get to a LSU night game.

My dream is when I am working partime later in life is to ask to intern with the Bills management or coaches unpaid. Do anything from break down film to reviewing contracts. Just really see what it is like day to day. I'm sure it won't happen but when you offer up free labor who knows...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Have been to several Bills away games but never a home game, like the OP. So that’s #1 on the list, but to attend it with my son, whose first game was against KC last year in KC. 

Second would be the Super Bowl parade in Buffalo—that would be a non-negotiable. 

Third would be to join a local flag football rec league for middle-aged farts and see if I’ve still got it 🤔. Not sure what “it” is, but will find out. (Note to self—know where the closest urgent care facility is located to the field).

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Lambeau in 2018. Bills lost 22-0. It was awful game. Josh was terrible. 

Must admit I left a bit underwhelmed. Glad I went but not quite the experience I hoped.

I was at that game too.  If I recall, Josh was a rookie and was very raw, plus the rest of the team wasn't very good.  The game itself was definitely underwhelming, but the Bills were so bad that the game was a dud.  I enjoyed the entire experience, however, which included parking in a guy's back yard, having a small "tailgate" at a small neighborhood park about 4 doors down from the guy's house and a few hundred yards from the stadium, then hanging out in the guy's garage after the game, drinking beer and eating cheese and sausage, while we watched the late game on TV.  Apparently, the food & drink in the garage was included in the price of parking on his back lawn - and most importantly, use of his restroom. 

It was a very "Wisconsin" type of experience and a lot more fun then the sterile experience I had in LA when we parked at the old Forum (across the street from SoFi) and were accosted by the police when we opened our trunk to take out a sweatshirt.  Just the hint of a possible tailgate situation drew them on us like flies on sh*t.  We later did take some beers out too, and sat outside the stadium gate drinking them.  Apparently, only one lot at SoFi allows tailgating and that lot was full.  The Bills tailgate had also sold out.  Inglewood is not a great place to hang out.  So although SoFi is a very nice modern stadium with great sightlines, scoreboards, and amenities, the atmosphere outside is terrible.  Lambeau is not all that great in the seating bowl, but the sightlines were fine.  The true experience there is OUTSIDE of the stadium, much like Buffalo.  With the new stadium, I hope that Buffalo will be one of the few experiences that will be great both inside and outside of the stadium.  Highmark is loud and fun inside the bowl, but most of the seats are very uncomfortable, plus taking a leak, getting concessions, and/or navigating the concourses is terrible (and despite all this, I still love it)!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

At this point really just seeing the Bills win a Super Bowl is all that matters(which would hopefully include a home AFC championship game).  I have experienced a lot of cool football stuff over the years...went to Canton for Thurman, Bruce and Ralph Wilson's inductions, have seen games at Lambeau, Arrowhead, Soldier Field, dome in New Orleans among a bunch of others.  I feel pretty fulfilled as a football fan minus never experiencing the Bills go all the way

Unrealistic Bucket list item- Attending a Super Bowl.  This was more of something I always wanted to do when I was younger but at this point with how corporate and expensive it has gotten I really don't even care anymore.  It would be cool to win free tickets somehow but it's something I'm never going to spend money on even if the Bills were in it.

6 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I was at that game too.  If I recall, Josh was a rookie and was very raw, plus the rest of the team wasn't very good.  The game itself was definitely underwhelming, but the Bills were so bad that the game was a dud.  I enjoyed the entire experience, however, which included parking in a guy's back yard, having a small "tailgate" at a small neighborhood park about 4 doors down from the guy's house and a few hundred yards from the stadium, then hanging out in the guy's garage after the game, drinking beer and eating cheese and sausage, while we watched the late game on TV.  Apparently, the food & drink in the garage was included in the price of parking on his back lawn - and most importantly, use of his restroom. 

It was a very "Wisconsin" type of experience and a lot more fun then the sterile experience I had in LA when we parked at the old Forum (across the street from SoFi) and were accosted by the police when we opened our trunk to take out a sweatshirt.  Just the hint of a possible tailgate situation drew them on us like flies on sh*t.  We later did take some beers out too, and sat outside the stadium gate drinking them.  Apparently, only one lot at SoFi allows tailgating and that lot was full.  The Bills tailgate had also sold out.  Inglewood is not a great place to hang out.  So although SoFi is a very nice modern stadium with great sightlines, scoreboards, and amenities, the atmosphere outside is terrible.  Lambeau is not all that great in the seating bowl, but the sightlines were fine.  The true experience there is OUTSIDE of the stadium, much like Buffalo.  With the new stadium, I hope that Buffalo will be one of the few experiences that will be great both inside and outside of the stadium.  Highmark is loud and fun inside the bowl, but most of the seats are very uncomfortable, plus taking a leak, getting concessions, and/or navigating the concourses is terrible (and despite all this, I still love it)!

I visited my sister in Appleton the week before the game and I can’t tell you how many people saw me walking around Appleton in Bills gear the week before the game who said “welcome to Wisconsin.” Apparently that’s a thing, because I just kept hearing it.  

Years ago I went to the first weekend of March Madness in Orlando. There was a big group of Wisconsin guys who pick a warm weather site every March and travel as a mob. I bought a couple of them a pitcher of beer the first night and I was an honorary Wisconsinite for the weekend. 😂 Those guys were a BLAST! 

6 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

At this point really just seeing the Bills win a Super Bowl is all that matters(which would hopefully include a home AFC championship game).  I have experienced a lot of cool football stuff over the years...went to Canton for Thurman, Bruce and Ralph Wilson's inductions, have seen games at Lambeau, Arrowhead, Soldier Field, dome in New Orleans among a bunch of others.  I feel pretty fulfilled as a football fan minus never experiencing the Bills go all the way

Unrealistic Bucket list item- Attending a Super Bowl.  This was more of something I always wanted to do when I was younger but at this point with how corporate and expensive it has gotten I really don't even care anymore.  It would be cool to win free tickets somehow but it's something I'm never going to spend money on even if the Bills were in it.

We won a SB trip (vs Redskins in Minneapolis) and I’m glad I went once. That was a while ago, but the bus full of German guys with backpacks full of beer were not sterile or corporate! 😂 

I don’t need to go again. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I want to attend the Bills home game against the Fins in 2074.  I'm in my 60s now so I think that would be fun.

Barring that: Just one before I die.  You know what I mean.  I don't even need to be there.  Just watching on TV at home would be enough.  

Just watching them win the superbowl. I've been to Bills games, both home and away, and I've seen them do good things and bad things. The only thing I haven't seen them do is win it all.

I think I prefer to watch games on TV, including the superbowl. But I do like to get to a game here and there.

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Have been to several Bills away games but never a home game, like the OP. So that’s #1 on the list, but to attend it with my son, whose first game was against KC last year in KC. 

Second would be the Super Bowl parade in Buffalo—that would be a non-negotiable. 

Third would be to join a local flag football rec league for middle-aged farts and see if I’ve still got it 🤔. Not sure what “it” is, but will find out. (Note to self—know where the closest urgent care facility is located to the field).

I’m afraid I would go straight to Hospice.   😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, appoo said:

For me, even though I grew up in NEPA

There used to be annual TC scrimmages at Edinboro between Buffalo and Cleveland.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

1- Bills win a Super Bowl.

2-Attending a home game of the 32 NFL teams. After this season, I will be 25/32 done.

What teams do you have left?

16 minutes ago, chongli said:

There used to be annual TC scrimmages at Edinboro between Buffalo and Cleveland.

What teams do you have left?

I am doing this season Detroit, Baltimore and Minnesota.

My last 7 will be Las Vegas (Even though I went to see the Raiders in Oakland twice), Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Kansas City & Washington. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

What would the odds of a double streaker at the SB pay?

Hell, I'd do it for free. 

Let the junk bounce free for all to see

7 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

What would the odds of a double streaker at the SB pay?

Hell, I'd do it for free. 

Let the junk bounce free for all to see

Is this temperature dependent?

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

I am doing this season Detroit, Baltimore and Minnesota.

My last 7 will be Las Vegas (Even though I went to see the Raiders in Oakland twice), Atlanta, Carolina, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Kansas City & Washington. 

Nice. You have a lot of good teams left.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fun topic:  Both my wife and I love football.  She is a big Niners fan, and I am obviously a big Bills fan and we support each others teams when not playing each other too.  So these below are things we have already put on our football bucket list:

1. Go to a Super Bowl (fingers crossed its Bills vs Niners)
  2. Attend a Bills Playoff game (hopefully I can do 1 and 2 at the same time)
  3. Got to a Niners vs Bills game both in Buffalo and SF  
    1. Sadly, our shot is this year as SF goes to Buffalo 12/1 but we will have a newborn as our 2nd son is due mid October, so traveling to a game then isn't something we can pull off this year.  
  4. We have some road game rivalries for each team we want to get in too...like Bills in KC vs Mahomes, Niners at Dallas, etc.  This includes going to a each of divisional opponents stadiums to see our teams play them.  

Now that I will have 2 sons 16 1/2 months apart, getting back into coaching football is high on my list too, but probably a little later when my boys are older.  I actually turned down my buddy who was trying to get me to come coach with him at a local high school this past season because I had my hands full between my first born son who just turned 1 last week and setting up a 2nd business.  I can't even imagine how busy my life will be when our 2nd son gets here in October lol.  So I think coaching is gonna have to wait a little bit longer for me lol.  

One of my really good friends is a Niners season ticket holder (I’m in NorCal), and we wanted to goto Bills - Niners but that went out the window when it was December lol. Weather is just too unpredictable 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.