Buffalo bidding to host 2028 Draft

8 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

Tickets to the draft is generally free.  We need to pay for a stadium.  I am begging the Bills and the NFL to sell tickets to the draft here.  Please keep it cheap and reasonable.  Then lower the PSL fees with the profits from the draft.  Who would not pay $15-$20 bucks to go to the draft here?   Then sell beer and food all profits go to the stadium build. I know the Stadium will be completed by then.  But debt will be huge, the interest on the debt will be massive.  Pegula's don't have 1 Billion in cash just laying around in a pile like Scrooge McDuck, They get loans based net worth... that is why there are high price PSL's.

Bars, Hotels, and restaurants will make millions that weekend.   The low ticket price will not stop anyone from showing up. Season ticket holders and people that have tickets from the previous season should be free. Most of these people will still buy beer/food and Bills stuff.   

You could even do a 3 day pass for $25 bucks or $10 dollars per day.  Detroit draft had 775,000 in attendance... 775K times $20 average spend on tickets is $15.5 million.  That lowers a lot PSLs. Also add $10 one time tax on hotel rooms that weekend.  This money goes to the State and country for their spending on the stadium. 

As long as the draft tickets are cheap... we can pulling millions for our stadium debt from fans from outside of Buffalo.  We Bills mafia must push this really hard!

The extra money might lower PSL’s by 5 cents.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The extra money might lower PSL’s by 5 cents.

I did the math. $15m spread out over the assumed to be 62k season tickets and you come up with like $240 per seat. So out of a $15k PSL we save $240? They can just keep it. Doesn’t make a dent. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Iraq Vet said:

Tickets to the draft is generally free.  We need to pay for a stadium.  I am begging the Bills and the NFL to sell tickets to the draft here.  Please keep it cheap and reasonable.  Then lower the PSL fees with the profits from the draft.  Who would not pay $15-$20 bucks to go to the draft here?   Then sell beer and food all profits go to the stadium build. I know the Stadium will be completed by then.  But debt will be huge, the interest on the debt will be massive.  Pegula's don't have 1 Billion in cash just laying around in a pile like Scrooge McDuck, They get loans based net worth... that is why there are high price PSL's.

Bars, Hotels, and restaurants will make millions that weekend.   The low ticket price will not stop anyone from showing up. Season ticket holders and people that have tickets from the previous season should be free. Most of these people will still buy beer/food and Bills stuff.   

You could even do a 3 day pass for $25 bucks or $10 dollars per day.  Detroit draft had 775,000 in attendance... 775K times $20 average spend on tickets is $15.5 million.  That lowers a lot PSLs. Also add $10 one time tax on hotel rooms that weekend.  This money goes to the State and country for their spending on the stadium. 

As long as the draft tickets are cheap... we can pulling millions for our stadium debt from fans from outside of Buffalo.  We Bills mafia must push this really hard!

There is zero correlation between the NFL adding a revenue stream (in this case, an extremely small one) and PSL/ticket prices being reduced.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the correlation was negative.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, mrags said:

The only thing that’s shocking about this is they aren’t looking to host the draft in 2027. The first possible draft after the stadium is complete. 

I think the reason for that could be they want to show of at least 3 Lombardi trophies 🏆during that draft !?! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

There's a theory that there's no such thing as bad publicity, but come on, don't any of us know what Buffalo looks like in March?  If the draft were held in June, when Buffalo's weather and appearance are glorious, that would be great.  But do you really want hundreds of thousands of people to come to Buffalo and see piles of dirty snow, cloudy skies, mud where there will soon be vegetation, and cold rain or snow?  

I know that Detroit just did this, and that Detroit's weather is similar to Buffalo's.  So how many of those people who visited Detroit asked themself if they'd ever want to go there again, let alone live there.  Detroit is very nice in the summer but that's not what those people saw.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

There's a theory that there's no such thing as bad publicity, but come on, don't any of us know what Buffalo looks like in March?  If the draft were held in June, when Buffalo's weather and appearance are glorious, that would be great.  But do you really want hundreds of thousands of people to come to Buffalo and see piles of dirty snow, cloudy skies, mud where there will soon be vegetation, and cold rain or snow?  

I know that Detroit just did this, and that Detroit's weather is similar to Buffalo's.  So how many of those people who visited Detroit asked themself if they'd ever want to go there again, let alone live there.  Detroit is very nice in the summer but that's not what those people saw.

The draft in Detroit was held on April 25th - 27th. Buffalo from a weather standpoint I am guessing (I am not from WNY or live there) that there wouldn't be any issues with snow in Buffalo in late April. Rain is a different story but that could happen in any city.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I did the math. $15m spread out over the assumed to be 62k season tickets and you come up with like $240 per seat. So out of a $15k PSL we save $240? They can just keep it. Doesn’t make a dent. 

Plus there's expenses with hosting a draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Plus there's expenses with hosting a draft. 

Right. But I firmly believe Money Bags TPegs will somehow get the state/county/city to pay for it somehow. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Right. But I firmly believe Money Bags TPegs will somehow get the state/county/city to pay for it somehow. 

That only happens if there is some benefit for the county or state. Obviously rooms and meals taxes will do well with all the visitors. But a Draft held downtown means more local establishments make money. Who benefits if it's all down in Orchard Park? Big Tree and Danny's?

• Like (+1) 1

If only we built our new stadium downtown, in part of a more ambitious waterfront development project. Perhaps we'd already have our answer to a lot of the questions posted here. We'd already know where we'd have the Draft. It'd be for our new state of the art facility & waterfront we're chomping at the bit to showcase to the rest of the Country.

Instead we're making a pitch for what & where? The parking lot? The old stadium before its 100% torn down? Yeah its not gonna happen, sorry. Too many other cities would be in a much better position than us to host this event. Cities that don't have the same logistical concerns. Cities that have an actual developed area to host & showcase. "But we could have it in front of City Hall...." Sure, maybe if it were a football stadium. I hope we didn't spend too much money putting together a package to host this.

Unless this is the quo part of the quid pro quo to Pegula for finally building a new stadium, i don't see this happening. Sorry!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

The draft in Detroit was held on April 25th - 27th. Buffalo from a weather standpoint I am guessing (I am not from WNY or live there) that there wouldn't be any issues with snow in Buffalo in late April. Rain is a different story but that could happen in any city.

OK, April and not March, you're right.  It's still chilly and gray in Buffalo, when every where else has flowers and sun and spring, and Buffalo is still 40 degrees.  It's right next to an ice cube the size of Ohio so it's not that surprising, but April in Buffalo (when I lived there) was always the most frustrating month.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That only happens if there is some benefit for the county or state. Obviously rooms and meals taxes will do well with all the visitors. But a Draft held downtown means more local establishments make money. Who benefits if it's all down in Orchard Park? Big Tree and Danny's?

I agree with this. It does nothing as far as a benefit. Other than Pegula and the Bills. Which is 100% why it will happen in OP. 

trust me, he will get something out of it. Throw in a few buildings in the site of the old stadium that they use for the draft as well as moving forward for the stadium somehow. 

it’s really a shame. I always used to be so excited at the thought of the Bills being relevant again. About the thought of the new stadium. About the thought of events like the draft happening here. And now the thoughts of this just make me sick to my stomach. Should have just moved the team to Toronto. 

5 hours ago, Iraq Vet said:

Tickets to the draft is generally free.  We need to pay for a stadium.  I am begging the Bills and the NFL to sell tickets to the draft here.  Please keep it cheap and reasonable.  Then lower the PSL fees with the profits from the draft. 

Ha!  Good one.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Utah John said:

OK, April and not March, you're right.  It's still chilly and gray in Buffalo, when every where else has flowers and sun and spring, and Buffalo is still 40 degrees.  It's right next to an ice cube the size of Ohio so it's not that surprising, but April in Buffalo (when I lived there) was always the most frustrating month.  

The first time I was back from Buffalo after being away for a few years, I was shocked to see how dirty it was.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2024 at 12:05 PM, sunshynman said:

It's because they will trade Allen for the #1 overall pick in the 2028 draft.  What a way to kick off Buffalo hosting the draft than with #1 overall and a brand new QB!

* ducking and running *

• Angry 1

21 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It's because they will trade Allen for the #1 overall pick in the 2028 draft.  What a way to kick off Buffalo hosting the draft than with #1 overall and a brand new QB!

* ducking and running *

LOL. The pitchforks and knives would be heading Beane's way if that happened :)

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.