Buffalo bidding to host 2028 Draft

24 minutes ago, mrags said:

So that could be anywhere from the new stadium, to the old stadium before it’s torn down, to the parking lots, to the space where the old stadium used to be. 

I guess the point being…it wouldn’t be held downtown, along the waterfront, or even NF. 

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I guess the point being…it wouldn’t be held downtown, along the waterfront, or even NF. 

I would have put my money on downtown somewhere. But I can totally see the OP site. Like I said, I think it would be a push from the Bills and the city to push for more public funds along the process. Creating some buildings or other amenities that would become permanent fixtures for the Bills to enjoy moving forward. Likely in the space currently occupied by Highmark Stadium. Let’s be real, it’s not like they are going to tear down the brand new Bills store once the new stadium is built. They could build around it. Some bars, food options, etc. I can see it now. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

12 minutes ago, mrags said:

I would have put my money on downtown somewhere. But I can totally see the OP site. Like I said, I think it would be a push from the Bills and the city to push for more public funds along the process. Creating some buildings or other amenities that would become permanent fixtures for the Bills to enjoy moving forward. Likely in the space currently occupied by Highmark Stadium. Let’s be real, it’s not like they are going to tear down the brand new Bills store once the new stadium is built. They could build around it. Some bars, food options, etc. I can see it now. 

Okay. So it's in OP. How are you getting 3-4X more people than a Bills game there? Parking? For 250K? Public transportation? Doesn't exist now. Buses will be next to useless because of traffic. I'm not seeing how this will work in OP. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay. So it's in OP. How are you getting 3-4X more people than a Bills game there? Parking? For 250K? Public transportation? Doesn't exist now. Buses will be next to useless because of traffic. I'm not seeing how this will work in OP. 

I heard the Red Carpet Inn is planning an expansion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well. It will take 5 hours just to get into the draft and another 14hrs to get out 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Well. It will take 5 hours just to get into the draft and another 14hrs to get out 

The Bills can make it like sleepover camp. Bring a tent and sleeping bag and stay all three days.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gregg said:

Maybe they want the extra year to take down the current stadium. I would guess they will put a parking lot there once the current stadium is gone.

More lots for lighting yourselves on fire 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

If it rains it could be greater than Woodstock! 

I have no idea where WNY could put that many people, but I’d love to see them try. We’ll never have a Super Bowl, that’s fine. Having a draft is a reasonable consolation prize imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Bills can make it like sleepover camp. Bring a tent and sleeping bag and stay all three days.

So kind of like Sundays into Mondays. But instead of saying sleepover, say wasted. And instead of sleeping bag, say back seat of their Camrys until they can drive the next day. 

wait, what am I thinking, this is Buffalo on Sunday. People drive wasted all the time. 9 times out of 10 you won’t hit anyone or get a dwi. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

More lots for lighting yourselves on fire 

They might be playing the long game with lighter fluid futures.  🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Augie said:

If it rains it could be greater than Woodstock! 

I have no idea where WNY could put that many people, but I’d love to see them try. We’ll never have a Super Bowl, that’s fine. Having a draft is a reasonable consolation prize imo. 

Well. People generally have no idea where they would put that many people. But it’s not super hard math. The record this past season in Detroit was for all 3 days. So you’re not fitting 400-600k people all in one place. Just 200k each day. Hell, between the fans going to the games, just going to tailgate, and the employees, workers in the area your easily over 100k every week anyway. And it’s not like people are cram packed into the the areas they can’t function. The only real issue is the terrible process of shutting down Abbott rd so that it only goes one way for like 6 hours on game days. Could easily fit 200k between the spaces of both the new stadium areas and the old stadium area. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, mrags said:

Well. People generally have no idea where they would put that many people. But it’s not super hard math. The record this past season in Detroit was for all 3 days. So you’re not fitting 400-600k people all in one place. Just 200k each day. Hell, between the fans going to the games, just going to tailgate, and the employees, workers in the area your easily over 100k every week anyway. And it’s not like people are cram packed into the the areas they can’t function. The only real issue is the terrible process of shutting down Abbott rd so that it only goes one way for like 6 hours on game days. Could easily fit 200k between the spaces of both the new stadium areas and the old stadium area. 

Thanks, I was very skeptical looking at some of those numbers, but failed to put the 3 day total into my mental equation. I think back about the coolest one I recall, in Nashville which we are familiar with, and your numbers make more sense. 

EDIT: I’ve been gone too long to have any clue, but would it be just as easy to do it somewhere around downtown? 

Edited by Augie

3 hours ago, mrags said:

I jest curious. If I pay for the PSLs, does that include ability to go to the draft in 2028?

Unless things change, the way its currently done is that anyone can show up to the draft. 

But if you want to be under the tent (called the "Draft Theater") with a pre-selected number of your own teams fans, you have to win a lottery type system. There is only a select number of spots for each team. 

With their being 60k PSL holders, they wouldn't be able to do it for everyone.

Or you can pay for someone elses lottery ticket. Which is usually around $600 or so.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It would happen at the new stadium.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-new-highmark-stadium-nfl-draft-2028/article_5cfa695e-2039-11ef-b9f7-c31345e187dd.html

The Dallas Cowboys (AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas) and Cleveland Browns (First Energy Stadium) have hosted the draft at their home stadiums, and the Bills would do the same.

“If you want to create a campus-type of environment, it would stand to reason that you would want to make (the new Bills stadium) the focal point,” Guelli said.

38 minutes ago, QCity said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-new-highmark-stadium-nfl-draft-2028/article_5cfa695e-2039-11ef-b9f7-c31345e187dd.html

The Dallas Cowboys (AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas) and Cleveland Browns (First Energy Stadium) have hosted the draft at their home stadiums, and the Bills would do the same.

“If you want to create a campus-type of environment, it would stand to reason that you would want to make (the new Bills stadium) the focal point,” Guelli said.

Do they mean outside the stadium? Im not paying for access to the article, but Cleveland's draft was near the stadium but it wasn't inside it.

43 minutes ago, QCity said:

If it’s still held in April we’ll get 3 days of national media asking why they didn’t build a dome.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Do they mean outside the stadium? Im not paying for access to the article, but Cleveland's draft was near the stadium but it wasn't inside it.

It would have to be.  Doing it inside the stadium would be a disaster.  It’s not the type of event that lends itself to sitting in one place.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.