Buffalo bidding to host 2028 Draft

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

It would have to be.  Doing it inside the stadium would be a disaster.  It’s not the type of event that lends itself to sitting in one place.

I’m not sure what you mean? Are people just wandering around aimlessly during the draft?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m not sure what you mean? Are people just wandering around aimlessly during the draft?

Kind of.  There’s only one pick every 10 minutes in the first round, so it’s about 1 minute of action followed by 9 minutes of milling around.  Then by day 3, the picks are just flying by and nobody really cares until it’s their own team.  If you were in the seats of a stadium, it would be nonstop people getting in and out of the aisles.  It’s an event much better suited for a festive style layout than a sporting event.

That doesn’t even get into the issue of having controlled entry points for 200,000 people.

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love Buffalo and the Bills and would love to see them get the opportunity to host such a major event, but to me, it just doesn't fit.  Inside the stadium is not a large enough area to host, if the draft attendance is anything close to what it's been in recent years.  Outside the stadium doesn't make sense because there's not enough land to park all the cars and still have space for all of the attendees, the stage, etc.  Would it just be limited to 60,000 attendees (or whatever the stadium capacity is) and be inside?  That's the only way I would see it working in Orchard Park.  

The draft, in recent years, has been a showcase for the host city, with great shots of downtown, etc., and bringing a lot of tourism to city.  If it's held in OP, what are all of the people going to do?

Green Bay is hosting next year, and it's probably the closest comparison.  Let's see what they do there.  Maybe fill the stadium and have the draft inside, but also have big screens outside and a makeshift festival going on with music, food, drinks, games, etc.  Obviously, there's no current infrastructure in the area to accommodate folks.  Think how long the wait for a table at the Big Tree would be!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Kind of.  There’s only one pick every 10 minutes in the first round, so it’s about 1 minute of action followed by 9 minutes of milling around.  Then by day 3, the picks are just flying by and nobody really cares until it’s their own team.  If you were in the seats of a stadium, it would be nonstop people getting in and out of the aisles.  It’s an event much better suited for a festive style layout than a sporting event.

I mean wouldn’t it be all over western NY? I would expect events downtown and also in OP.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Unless things change, the way its currently done is that anyone can show up to the draft. 

But if you want to be under the tent (called the "Draft Theater") with a pre-selected number of your own teams fans, you have to win a lottery type system. There is only a select number of spots for each team. 

With their being 60k PSL holders, they wouldn't be able to do it for everyone.

Or you can pay for someone elses lottery ticket. Which is usually around $600 or so.

I went to the draft when it was real at Radio City. Even though they will be in my own town I still likely won’t go. 

22 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s already taken brother, 2028 is the first opportunity.

Thought it was just 2026 and 2027 that were already taken. 

upon quickly looking on the interwebs, it appears that 2027 is not already accounted for but the Commanders are looking for the bid 

https://www.givemesport.com/major-nfl-market-aiming-to-host-the-2027-nfl-draft/

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mrags said:

So that could be anywhere from the new stadium, to the old stadium before it’s torn down, to the parking lots, to the space where the old stadium used to be. 

how/why would they have it in a stadium

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how/why would they have it in a stadium

Um…. How? They set it up with a stage at one end, just like a concert. 

why? To show off their new digs to everyone. Which is the point of the whole thing to begin with. 

just because recent drafts have been up to 200k per day in attendance doesn’t mean that every draft has to be. Detroit set a record but that doesn’t mean they must set out to set a record every single year. 

And for the record I think it would be a bad idea having it in the stadium. Or in OP for that matter. It should be downtown. On the waterfront, or Niagara square, or Chippewa st. But then again, the stadium should be downtown and they messed that up so I don’t have faith in them getting it right. 

5 hours ago, mrags said:

So that could be anywhere from the new stadium, to the old stadium before it’s torn down, to the parking lots, to the space where the old stadium used to be. 

They should leave the old stadium up, put a roof on it and turn it into a big hotel that has a big stage for a draft.  The roof will prevent issues if it was to rain that weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.