Jefferson gets paid: 4yr, $140m contract signed

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

you are referring to mike as opposed to kyle i assume

regardless, even the top offensive minds in the game concede you need significant talent on that side of the ball...there is a lot of football that just comes down to beating the guy lining up from you

I was referring to Kyle.  He played in Kyle's offense in washington and sf.  

ironically, the shanahan offense with the gibbs-mudd-mcnally running game doesn't require lineman to beat the guy in front of them per se.  Its essentially the unit beating the d lineman to a spot and using double teams to create seams for the backs to be patient and then quick to the hole while the free lineman gets to the second level and cuts down the lb.  

I get what you are saying though and it is true of the nfl and all sports, you have to beat the man in front of you.

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

They aren’t going to be a power run offense. But they are going to a run heavy team imo. 

They better be.  They are built for it and it will help this young in transition defense.

Imo in a perfect world this season the bills are top 3 in Rushing, Yards per carry and time of possession.  Which I believe will lead to them scoring a lot of points and winning a lot with this difficult schedule.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Now he just needs to throw himself the ball.

I hate this because he may rot away in Minnesota, but he had already turned down $28 million AAV last year. 

Even considering their QB situation, how do you turn down $35 million a year?  

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Signing a super elite WR before you have the QB room in hand seems like putting the cart before the horse, but what do I know?

Without a massive salary cap increase, I don't see how this WR trend is tenable. 

There are other variables to consider.  Jefferson is their attraction.  He puts butts in seats.  

Edited by Chicken Boo

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

They better be.  They are built for it and it will help this young in transition defense.

Imo in a perfect world this season the bills are top 3 in Rushing, Yards per carry and time of possession.  Which I believe will lead to them scoring a lot of points and winning a lot with this difficult schedule.

Maybe we should just trade Allen then. Let’s trade him for 2 more TEs, and Derrick Henry.

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Maybe we should just trade Allen then. Let’s trade him for 2 more TEs, and Derrick Henry.

I don't understand this at all.

If what I said happens that means Allen will be extremely efficient and have an incredible season plus hopefully have fewer hits and carries.

As John Elway once said, the quarterback gets paid to win on third down and to score touchdowns in the redzone.  

with a great running game Allen can be better than ever.  This idea that a great running game is a detriment to the passing game or qb is completely baffling to me.  

if this team has Allen and a great running game late in games with a lead they are going to be extremely hard to beat just as they were when they went on their run last year.  I can't imagine a situation worse for an opposing defense than to have to be trailing vs Buffalo and needing to use an extra man to play the run late in games.  Allen will kill defenses if this is the case.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The thing is that they actually HAVE a super elite WR so whether or not to extend him was their only choice. 

Also Jefferson’s agent did well to get the 4 year length as much as he did the $35M AAV. With NFL revenues continuing to skyrocket he’ll get another big contract in 4 years or so. 

They could have traded him and got a big return, but I get it. 

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean we actually have a QB, how would you say it's worked for us

You have to try 

Well, our "#1 guy" wasn't good enough and was a source of roster rot, so I'd say not well.

Other than that, it's hard to say given that the Bills so rarely draft a top 10 kind of WR

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

I don't understand this at all.

If what I said happens that means Allen will be extremely efficient and have an incredible season plus hopefully have fewer hits and carries.

As John Elway once said, the quarterback gets paid to win on third down and to score touchdowns in the redzone.  

with a great running game Allen can be better than ever.  This idea that a great running game is a detriment to the passing game or qb is completely baffling to me.  

if this team has Allen and a great running game late in games with a lead they are going to be extremely hard to beat just as they were when they went on their run last year.  I can't imagine a situation worse for an opposing defense than to have to be trailing vs Buffalo and needing to use an extra man to play the run late in games.  Allen will kill defenses if this is the case.

Paying a QB the kind of money they are paying them, and then creating a run heavy offense is just stupid imo. Might as well trade Allen for a ton of draft picks over the next 4-5 years. No point in keeping him in his prime and not utilizing him anyway. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, mrags said:

Paying a QB the kind of money they are paying them, and then creating a run heavy offense is just stupid imo. Might as well trade Allen for a ton of draft picks over the next 4-5 years. No point in keeping him in his prime and not utilizing him anyway. 

I have no idea what you are talking about.

They will be utilizing him as much as they ever have.  You sound like you are talking about fantasy football or something.

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Well, our "#1 guy" wasn't good enough and was a source of roster rot, so I'd say not well.

Other than that, it's hard to say given that the Bills so rarely draft a top 10 kind of WR

Well that's for lack of trying 

But if we had drafted such a guy I would be trying to extend him even w Allen on a deal, so to me the Vikings paying Jefferson is a no brainer

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

They could have traded him and got a big return, but I get it. 

They tried according to reports.  They wanted Nabers pretty bad but no one wanted Jefferson because of his contract.

he just got a contract that is kind of like Devante Adams in Las Vegas.  I think the % of cap are similar and the situation is semi similar....although The vikings system and other parts are better on offense.

2 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

They will be utilizing him as much as they ever have.  You sound like you are talking about fantasy football or something.

I think he's saying running the ball is -ev compared to passing

Plus it's boring af to watch ball control

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Well, they would’ve cumulatively paid that group less money. So, the Bills are getting a 6 for the price of 1 deal.

And that means 12 knees, hands etc… JJ is amazing but one injury to him sets the whole offense back. (Insert GIF here of John Travolta looking for Von Miller). Good for him though $$$.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I think he's saying running the ball is -ev compared to passing

Plus it's boring af to watch ball control

Right but this won't be a team running the ball to hide it's quarterback.  Its going to be a running team because it has all the parts to be an excellent one.

and the success in the running game is going to make Allen even more dangerous.  

He is acting like they are going to be the 2000 ravens or something.  No they are going to run about the same as they always have except like late last year they are going to be better at it and able to do it at anytime.  

Its not going to be run - run - pass - punt like some team knowing they cant pass protect or knowing they can not move the ball in the air.  This is a running game that is going to be attacking and setting up more efficient 3rd downs and creating big play opportunities.    

I just fail to see why fans are not understanding here that as a unit, this running game is going to be awesome.  Excellent Line, Excellent tight ends and excellent backs....Defenses will always have to protect against Allen first on top of all that.  Throw in this year they now have what appears to be two excellent backs who can run and catch out of the backfield along with a gadget guy in samuels.  This team is just going to be able to do all kinds of things out of the same formations or looks if you will.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Right but this won't be a team running the ball to hide it's quarterback.  Its going to be a running team because it has all the parts to be an excellent one.

and the success in the running game is going to make Allen even more dangerous.  

He is acting like they are going to be the 2000 ravens or something.  No they are going to run about the same as they always have except like late last year they are going to be better at it and able to do it at anytime.  

Its not going to be run - run - pass - punt like some team knowing they cant pass protect or knowing they can not move the ball in the air.  This is a running game that is going to be attacking and setting up more efficient 3rd downs and creating big play opportunities.    

I just fail to see why fans are not understanding here that as a unit, this running game is going to be awesome.  Excellent Line, Excellent tight ends and excellent backs....Defenses will always have to protect against Allen first on top of all that.  Throw in this year they now have what appears to be two excellent backs who can run and catch out of the backfield along with a gadget guy in samuels.  This team is just going to be able to do all kinds of things out of the same formations or looks if you will.  

I believe we saw the absolute pinnacle of what this offense could accomplish playing ball control in the last divisional game vs one of the best defenses in the league in KC

they played a perfect game and still needed a freak fumble to keep it close. And that was w a better offensive roster. It's not going to work imo, we don't have the players or the coaching for it

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.