Jefferson gets paid: 4yr, $140m contract signed

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Yes. You can say that for literally any position with the exception of QB in the NFL. But the point is you need a QB that is good enough, and you need to give him weapons to throw to and actually be effective. 

Yes weapons.  I view the offense as a group, imo you need a group that performs well together where everyone has a role.

The #1 wr craze is adverse to that imo and the results speak for themselves.  These expensive #1 guys almost never win championships.  

• Like (+1) 1

Teams will start systematically running wide receiver by committee. Stock piling 2s and 3s.  Keeping everyone’s stats down to under 800ypr so no one can ask for too much. Similar to how Belichick changed how running back was done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Signing a super elite WR before you have the QB room in hand seems like putting the cart before the horse, but what do I know?

Without a massive salary cap increase, I don't see how this WR trend is tenable. 

The thing is that they actually HAVE a super elite WR so whether or not to extend him was their only choice. 

Also Jefferson’s agent did well to get the 4 year length as much as he did the $35M AAV. With NFL revenues continuing to skyrocket he’ll get another big contract in 4 years or so. 

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Yes weapons.  I view the offense as a group, imo you need a group that performs well together where everyone has a role.

The #1 wr craze is adverse to that imo and the results speak for themselves.  These expensive #1 guys almost never win championships.  

DO YOU BELIEVE JUSTIN JEFFERSON ON THIS TEAM RIGHT NOW WOULD BE A BAD THING? 

that’s all you need to ask yourself and if the answer is yes, I don’t know what to tell you. Your the only one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Beane getting ahead of the curve by noticing the effectiveness of the Green Bay approach to receivers?

The Green Bay approach was to draft 5 WR's over the last two years.

Beane drafted 1 in round two.

Probably not.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

DO YOU BELIEVE JUSTIN JEFFERSON ON THIS TEAM RIGHT NOW WOULD BE A BAD THING? 

that’s all you need to ask yourself and if the answer is yes, I don’t know what to tell you. Your the only one. 

No absolutely not.   He would elevate the passing game for sure.  More than likely him, kincaid and this running game would be a complete nightmare for defensive coordinators to prepare for in theory.

However I do not view him as a savior either.  What it would cost to have him and pay him would probably limit the team in other places forcing him to have to be a savior and hence the problem and why most of these teams with the big expensive #1 WR have no championships.

• Agree 1

35 million a year is a huge number so to speak but it is only about 14% of the current cap which while steep now is likely only to be about 11.25% of the cap in 2026. And the Vikings are a team that just drafted a rookie QB so they no longer are paying Kirk Cousins 45-50 million a season so they turn the savings in on Cousins into keeping Jefferson while having space to address the roster elsewhere. Looking at what less productive players like St.Brown and Nico Collins got Jefferson's 35 million seems like a natural above those guys kind of pegged rate. 

It will be interesting to see how this deal is structured. Are there some void years added in to spread out the hit? Do they just eat the bullet early and have the cap number descend? There is 30 million not guaranteed does that give the Vikings an out in 2027 with a moderate dead cap hit? Very interesting to see how these numbers go.

2 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

No absolutely not.   He would elevate the passing game for sure.  More than likely him, kincaid and this running game would be a complete nightmare for defensive coordinators to prepare for in theory.

However I do not view him as a savior either.  What it would cost to have him and pay him would probably limit the team in other places forcing him to have to be a savior and hence the problem and why most of these teams with the big expensive #1 WR have no championships.

Good post....people act like having an elite WR is how you win.  Elite QB?  Yes absolutely you need that.  Does having a guy like Jefferson make you better, yes he does but not nearly to the same degree.  Whatever team has Partrick Mahomes and Josh Allen will be there in the playoffs consistently, but that is not necessarily true for even the best WR like Jefferson.  The WR position is getting stupid crazy and it will correct with the amount of talent coming in from college.

Look at the Dolphins, Hill/Waddle Seahawks...they have three.  And the best they can do is make a wildcard round or not make the playoffs.  How deep has Jefferson taken the Vikings?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Well. With rookie contracts on Kincaid, Cook, Shakir, Coleman, likely 3 starting OL, Benford, Bernard, Rousseau. It would be the perfect time to go all in for someone like Jefferson. Assuming we were stupid and overpaid for guys like Miller, Oliver, White. And then take massive cap hits on Diggs, even more by trading him and assuming more of his cap number to not play for us. 

and fwiw, I’m not advocating paying for Jefferson at that number. But I am advocating for actually finding that guy, or multiples that are even 75% as good as him in the draft, on rookie contracts. But you can’t do that when you don’t actually draft any. And yes, I’m aware we drafted Coleman. Great. One early WR in the last 7 years under this regime. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

This also assumes Jefferson develops in the same way he did in Minnesota. I think Minnesota was a really great landing spot for Jefferson. I can't pull it up, but I remember reading that Adam Thielen was really key to Jefferson developing right out of the gate the way he did. I think one of Jefferson's biggest issues coming out of college was his route running. Jefferson, coming into the draft, was billed as a very good but not elite athlete with amazing catch ability but someone who wasn't a great route runner and not a dynamic enough athlete (he's 6 foot 1, 33 inch arms, and 4.43 40 time—very good but not elite) to get separation without improving his route running.

There was a specific type of route running that teams thought he needed to really improve on (sorry for the lack of specifics) to be successful in the NFL consistently, and it just so happened those types of routes were something Adam Thielen was among the best in the NFL at. Supposedly, Jefferson worked very closely with Thielen, who was a very willing teacher, during the off-season he was drafted and throughout his rookie year. Once Jefferson vastly improved his route running, it was off to the races.

If Jefferson gets drafted to Buffalo, is he maybe not as dynamic right out of the gate? Could he have learned from the coaches here and a vet like Cole Beasley? All possible, but not a certainty either. A lot goes into a player being massively successful, especially right out of the gate. I think Jefferson probably is still a great NFL player if he stays healthy, but he may not break out until year 2 or 3.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Good post....people act like having an elite WR is how you win.  Elite QB?  Yes absolutely you need that.  Does having a guy like Jefferson make you better, yes he does but not nearly to the same degree.  Whatever team has Partrick Mahomes and Josh Allen will be there in the playoffs consistently, but that is not necessarily true for even the best WR like Jefferson.  The WR position is getting stupid crazy and it will correct with the amount of talent coming in from college.

Look at the Dolphins, Hill/Waddle Seahawks...they have three.  And the best they can do is make a wildcard round or not make the playoffs.  How deep has Jefferson taken the Vikings?

Except for us, we DO HAVE ALLEN. So what does that mean for us? 

3 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They are going to come for you for this so get ready to duck but yes in essence you have pointed out what I believe.  Its as old and tested as anything in the nfl.  The team with the good quarterback AND that is good in the trenches is going to beat the teams in the postseason with all the fancy parts outside and weak spots inside.  It happens every year in the nfl and always has.

now in september and october those fancy parts outside teams win a lot of football games...then post thanksgiving those teams who are better in the trenches win more games.  

The chiefs last season are exhibit A.  Andy Reid's teams have all looked the same in philly and in kc, excellent upfront  on both sides of the ball and that is why they are always in contention.  Coupling that with a mahomes brought him champhionships, coupling it with mcnabb brought him division titles.  So you need the QB first and then the trenches have to be excellent second.

jmo and I have seen nothing that changes my opinion except for a few teams in history who have won on offense like the 98 Rams and the 06 Colts.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This also assumes Jefferson develops in the same way he did in Minnesota. I think Minnesota was a really great landing spot for Jefferson. I can't pull it up, but I remember reading that Adam Thielen was really key to Jefferson developing right out of the gate the way he did. I think one of Jefferson's biggest issues coming out of college was his route running. Jefferson, coming into the draft, was billed as a very good but not elite athlete with amazing catch ability but someone who wasn't a great route runner and not a dynamic enough athlete (he's 6 foot 1, 33 inch arms, and 4.43 40 time—very good but not elite) to get separation without improving his route running.

There was a specific type of route running that teams thought he needed to really improve on (sorry for the lack of specifics) to be successful in the NFL consistently, and it just so happened those types of routes were something Adam Thielen was among the best in the NFL at. Supposedly, Jefferson worked very closely with Thielen, who was a very willing teacher, during the off-season he was drafted and throughout his rookie year. Once Jefferson vastly improved his route running, it was off to the races.

If Jefferson gets drafted to Buffalo, is he maybe not as dynamic right out of the gate? Could he have learned from the coaches here and a vet like Cole Beasley? All possible, but not a certainty either. A lot goes into a player being massively successful, especially right out of the gate. I think Jefferson probably is still a great NFL player if he stays healthy, but he may not break out until year 2 or 3.

Won’t know until you actually start drafting them with your future HOF QB throwing him the ball. 

Just now, Matt_In_NH said:

It means you consistently compete in the playoffs, it does not guarantee a SB though

Cool. We’ve been there. Consistently losing in the 2nd rd if the playoffs. Enjoy the ride I guess. 👎 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mrags said:

6? They could get 20 of those guys and it still wouldn’t matter. 

Does it matter for the Vikings? They haven't won anything with him, and now they don't have a QB. They haven't won a single playoff game with Jefferson.

Edited by MJS

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Having a top WR group is great way to develop a rookie QB.

I think once the QB has reached the level of a franchise QB then you still need to have weapons but now he can be the one elevating and developing the WRs.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.