Jefferson gets paid: 4yr, $140m contract signed

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Thumbs GIF by Sesame Street

Already been pointed out who was throwing JJ the ball. Cousins has 7 seasons with over 4k yards. lol 

Really Cousins been throwing to JJ at LSU  ? 

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Really Cousins been throwing to JJ at LSU  ? 

Your argument was that cousins wasn’t a good QB. At least that’s what I took out of it. 

4 hours ago, Putin said:

Yes yes that’s what cost us the game against the Chiefs not all the injuries on defense yes yes it was what you are saying 

3 hours ago, Billl said:

Is your expectation that the Bills won’t have injuries in the future but other teams will?

@Billl, is your expectation that the Bills will have an epidemic of injuries every year?

Do you know who was missing from the lineup when we played the Chiefs?

Or do you consider those defensive injuries to be irrelevant?

Huge contract. But he’s so good. Nothing pops on paper, and really, nothing pops live during the game until you see him running all over the field and catching every single pass thrown to him like he’s the only player with the code. 

On 6/3/2024 at 9:11 PM, Billl said:

Are they, though?  There are 32 teams in the NFL.  The WR with the 64th highest yardage total last year had 540 yards. Everyone seems to think that an average WR2 has 900 yards, but that’s just not the case.  In reality, there were fewer than 32 WRs who reached that mark.

I don't know. I was kinda just typing thoughts. However, I do think Brady has a plan to utilize the bills offense. I think guys are gonna be more productive than we realize 

On 6/4/2024 at 8:51 AM, BarleyNY said:

I listen to the Over The Cap’s podcast sometimes. It’s definitely not for everyone, but there are some great insights. About a month ago the host was talking about Jefferson’s contract. That the Vikings would want a longer extension of 5 years and JJ would want 3. Then he talked about the AAV for those deals before concluding that the best compromise might be something like a 4 year extension at $35M AAV. He was exactly correct. This is where the market is. 

The problem becomes, every guy that gets paid is going to be the new highest, this is why Dak wants 60MM and nobody regards him as the best there is.  Now Chase, Lamb and probably somebody I’m nothing thinking of will immediately try to get more and will come out with higher averages at the expense of guaranteed money.  Higgins will probably get 30 now.  It’s stupid and unsustainable.  You MIGHT get one year where it all comes together with a top QB and WR getting paid together and still have enough left to keep said QB up right and money left over to field an extremely young D, that can hold together enough to win. 

That said, nobody has done it yet.  I don’t think anybody will either.   Mahomes is winning with nobodies and a better D.  The Eagles can’t beat SF.  SF is set up to dump their #1 WR so they can pay their QB, etc.  I don’t care, you can’t tie up 80+MM in 2 guys on one side of the ball and still have enough talent everywhere to win it all.   It will take a fluke, along with outstanding drafting and insane luck along with way to make it happen.

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The problem becomes, every guy that gets paid is going to be the new highest, this is why Dak wants 60MM and nobody regards him as the best there is.  Now Chase, Lamb and probably somebody I’m nothing thinking of will immediately try to get more and will come out with higher averages at the expense of guaranteed money.  Higgins will probably get 30 now.  It’s stupid and unsustainable.  You MIGHT get one year where it all comes together with a top QB and WR getting paid together and still have enough left to keep said QB up right and money left over to field an extremely young D, that can hold together enough to win. 

That said, nobody has done it yet.  I don’t think anybody will either.   Mahomes is winning with nobodies and a better D.  The Eagles can’t beat SF.  SF is set up to dump their #1 WR so they can pay their QB, etc.  I don’t care, you can’t tie up 80+MM in 2 guys on one side of the ball and still have enough talent everywhere to win it all.   It will take a fluke, along with outstanding drafting and insane luck along with way to make it happen.

Teams with elite players are smart to get deals done early. The Eagles do this consistently. Everyone complains about it when it happens, but after the rest of the contracts get done they’re already 5 or 6 spots down the list. As for the sustainability of paying a QB and WR top dollar, the Eagles show that it can be done as they have two WRs and a QB all paid  ear top of market. I do expect that they drop to one WR soon though. The catch is that it is only possible with an owner willing to spend and quality FO. That allows the team to structure deals aggressively and outspend most other teams. 

The “nobody has done it yet” argument is weak. You mean recently because historically teams have done it. The numbers just weren’t as big as they are today. Also the Eagles were one bad call away from being in position to do it. If you want another example, look at the Browns. They’re paying Watson large and have not gotten much in return. Yet they made the playoffs fielding QBs that were nobodies and a washed up QB off the street. Why? Same as the Eagles. They’re spending and finding quality players. Their roster is outstanding top to bottom - with the possible exception of their QB. 

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Teams with elite players are smart to get deals done early. The Eagles do this consistently. Everyone complains about it when it happens, but after the rest of the contracts get done they’re already 5 or 6 spots down the list. As for the sustainability of paying a QB and WR top dollar, the Eagles show that it can be done as they have two WRs and a QB all paid  ear top of market. I do expect that they drop to one WR soon though. The catch is that it is only possible with an owner willing to spend and quality FO. That allows the team to structure deals aggressively and outspend most other teams. 

The “nobody has done it yet” argument is weak. You mean recently because historically teams have done it. The numbers just weren’t as big as they are today. Also the Eagles were one bad call away from being in position to do it. If you want another example, look at the Browns. They’re paying Watson large and have not gotten much in return. Yet they made the playoffs fielding QBs that were nobodies and a washed up QB off the street. Why? Same as the Eagles. They’re spending and finding quality players. Their roster is outstanding top to bottom - with the possible exception of their QB. 

The Eagles have a stacked roster and have done a great job drafting, I envy their position.  That said, they haven’t won anymore than Buffalo and I don’t care about excuses, show me results.   As far as saying it was done in the past, that’s all well and good, but nobody in this era has paid a QB and a WR big money and done anything.   I don’t see a team outside of Philly that could do it.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

The Eagles have a stacked roster and have done a great job drafting, I envy their position.  That said, they haven’t won anymore than Buffalo and I don’t care about excuses, show me results.   As far as saying it was done in the past, that’s all well and good, but nobody in this era has paid a QB and a WR big money and done anything.   I don’t see a team outside of Philly that could do it.

That’s as illogical an argument as I could imagine. Just because something hasn’t been done before certainly doesn’t mean it can’t be. We see firsts all the time. Hell, our elite franchise QB is a unicorn. No QB drafted anywhere close to top 10 ever made the leap he has.

Also I don’t see a lot of details here. WRs and QBs who’ve both gotten paid large for their times and the salary cap’s at the time have won it all. But apparently that was too long ago to count. So since when? And while you are at it, how much is too much to pay those positions?

I think this whole illogical rationale is based on two things:

1) The Chiefs have dominated the SB wins without paying a WR so people want the Bills to copy that. But the Chiefs are a cheap organization. They have had to be frugal compared to some other teams. That they could do so well with that disadvantage makes what they’ve done even more impressive. It’s worth pointing out that even though they won the Super Bowl last year with a wide receiving corps that was below par they went ahead and revamped it for this year. 

2) The Bills traded away Diggs and have built their WR corps that way this season. I didn’t see anybody posting about this while we had Diggs on the team and were paying him. It’s reactionary and it’ll evaporate if the Bills pay a WR next offseason. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.