Jefferson gets paid: 4yr, $140m contract signed

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’re good. Highest paid WR for the last 2 Super Bowl winners.

2023 - Marquez Valdes Scantling 

2022 - Marquez Valdes Scantling 

But MVS doesn't win you championships in Madden or Fantasy football!

• Haha (+1) 1

I remember some weeks back when @Thurman#1 was shouting down the notion that the top of the WR market was in the mid-$30M's.  :doh:  

Some people on this board (like Thurm)  just have no reservations about being dead wrong about the obvious.

• Like (+1) 1

RB so cheap now in comparison, 

Pendulum is about to swing back as RB is where the value will be. 

Good for him, i don't know if its good for the Vikings, time will tell 

37 minutes ago, Nester said:

I have to disagree. RB will never be back financially. You’ll have a few that get paid like tight ends, then the rest very little.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I have to disagree. RB will never be back financially. You’ll have a few that get paid like tight ends, then the rest very little.

The problem with RB's is that they get hurt frequently and you can find a lot of OK to good ones all over the draft so the idea is you can replace them quickly. There's still a premium for a few of the elite guys esp the ones that can catch at an elite level but it's never going to be a hyper premium position like it once was.

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The problem with RB's is that they get hurt frequently and you can find a lot of OK to good ones all over the draft so the idea is you can replace them quickly. There's still a premium for a few of the elite guys esp the ones that can catch at an elite level but it's never going to be a hyper premium position like it once was.

And their usage is different. 15-20 years ago you’d have 10 RBs over 300 carries and almost 20 over 250 carries. Now you’re lucky to have 10 get 250 carries. It’s more of a committee approach.

So many things working against RB. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

And their usage is different. 15-20 years ago you’d have 10 RBs over 300 carries and almost 20 over 250 carries. Now you’re lucky to have 10 get 250 carries. It’s more of a committee approach.

So many things working against RB. 

But those RBs are still asked to do more than any other skill position on offense. They rush the ball, they block for the QB, they run pass routes, they touch the ball on average 2-3x more than any WR1. Their value has gone down because it’s such a passing league now, but a great RB should definitely be rewarded more than the $13M/yr they’re currently slotted. For all they’re asked to do and how many times they touch the ball, they have a real gripe with the salary cap. 

The list of WRs who out earn players like CMC, Saquon, and Jacobs to name a few is a tragedy. 

Edited by Brand J
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FireChans said:

The way of the running back continues.

140 million a dozen.

9 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

This is insane $$$. The NFL has lost it.

Why? He’s easily the best WR in the league and by far the best player on his team.   Why shouldn’t that result in a huge contract?  

The NFL never loses…

38 minutes ago, Brand J said:

But those RBs are still asked to do more than any other skill position on offense. They rush the ball, they block for the QB, they run pass routes, they touch the ball on average 2-3x more than any WR1. Their value has gone down because it’s such a passing league now, but a great RB should definitely be rewarded more than the $13M/yr they’re currently slotted. For all they’re asked to do and how many times they touch the ball, they have a real gripe with the salary cap. 

The list of WRs who out earn players like CMC, Saquon, and Jacobs to name a few is a tragedy. 

I remember reading an article about RBs who had received big contracts. Just about every RB they mentioned hit the wall 1 - 2 years in to his big new contract.

Are there RBs who remain in their prime for many years? Yes, but those are the exceptions. Usually, by the time a RB's rookie deal is completed, most of his good years have been used up. That's a strong reason not to pay big money to a RB.

3 hours ago, Nester said:

Why would the value be at RB?  There was literally one RB in the league last year that really mattered.  The next 10 best were effectively indistinguishable from one another.

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

I remember years and years ago when the nfl was a run heavy league, people used to say wide receivers were a dime a dozen. I think (to some degree) the nfl is going back to that. Not cuz teams run so much, but because it's such a pass happy league now, wr's are readily available.

Are they, though?  There are 32 teams in the NFL.  The WR with the 64th highest yardage total last year had 540 yards. Everyone seems to think that an average WR2 has 900 yards, but that’s just not the case.  In reality, there were fewer than 32 WRs who reached that mark.

13 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Keon's cousin in Dallas must have spiked a football when he saw this today.  He is going to get the same money as jefferson I bet.

Dallas has to figure out what they're going to do with Dak Prescott.

12 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

However I do not view Jefferson as a savior either.  What it would cost to have him and pay him would probably limit the team in other places forcing him to have to be a savior and hence the problem and why most of these teams with the big expensive #1 WR have no championships.

12 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Well, that settles it, you can not have a QB and a WR 1 on the same team.

How many teams are paying top 10 compensation for a QB and a WR at the same time?

The answer is 2 teams:

Detroit Lions: Jared Goff and Amon-Ra St. Brown

Philadelphia Eagles: Jalen Hurts, AJ Brown, AND DeVonte Smith

11 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Seems like crazy numbers that will likely haunt the team.  It’s tough to say as letting talent like that walk is also tough.  

As has been mentioned, the Vikings didn't have a choice but to re-sign Jefferson. They were unsuccessful in their attempts to trade him so they had to overpay to give their rookie QB a legit target, appease their fan base, and soothe his hurt ego.

9 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Bills are all-in on going against the grain of what other teams are doing on offense.  Most teams are focusing on QB/WR pairs and paying a fortune for them, and so most defenses are focused on stopping the pass.  The Bills are building a huge set of TEs and WRs, and look to me like a team that's going to balance passing and running, trying to wear out smaller defenses.  For this purpose, the Bills are not putting a huge pile of cash in anyone's pocket except Josh Allen's, and that makes perfect sense to me.  

Beane had a personal rule of not buying expensive FAs, instead building through the draft and smart trades.  He broke that rule with the Von Miller signing, which was a direct response to the 13 second game's failure to get to Mahomes.  That looked good until Miller got hurt (the Bills beat the Chiefs in the regular season when Miller pressured Mahomes and he threw an INT to Taron Johnson) but it's since blown up in their faces.  Now it's back to Beane following his own rule.  He's building a roster with a clear plan in mind, not the same plan as other teams are following, and that's probably going to work out well.

Brilliant post... you make two great points which seem pretty obvious but that not many here talk about:

• No team has as many 6'4" pass catchers as the Bills. These same players are above average run blockers. It's pretty clear that whether or not you like it... the plan is to have big, physical targets for Josh.
  • The Von Miller signing was out of character and against McBeane's long term roster-building philosophy but they did it in order to go "all-in" during the Josh Allen Championship window. It was a stab at glory and hasn't worked out (yet). I wouldn't rule out a similar move in the future but I think it would be more of a short term rental deal than the sort of multi-year commitment they made to Miller... once-bitten, twice shy I think.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why? He’s easily the best WR in the league and by far the best player on his team.   Why shouldn’t that result in a huge contract?  

The NFL never loses…

agree and revenue keeps increasing which means the cap also increases....so contracts will also

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I remember some weeks back when @Thurman#1 was shouting down the notion that the top of the WR market was in the mid-$30M's.  :doh:  

Some people on this board (like Thurm)  just have no reservations about being dead wrong about the obvious.

I listen to the Over The Cap’s podcast sometimes. It’s definitely not for everyone, but there are some great insights. About a month ago the host was talking about Jefferson’s contract. That the Vikings would want a longer extension of 5 years and JJ would want 3. Then he talked about the AAV for those deals before concluding that the best compromise might be something like a 4 year extension at $35M AAV. He was exactly correct. This is where the market is. 

Edited by BarleyNY

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.