Does James Cook leave or get an extension if he keeps this level of play up?

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

So one poster determines your entire consideration of a thread's relevance.

Most of us in favor of considering a 2nd contract are saying it would be only considered for one third that.

And I'm sorry @Mat68 $15M is never happening.

You quoted one poster who said no RB should get a second contract 3 posts ago. 

Here if you forgot it was all of 7mins ago:

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Who is saying $15M a year?

There is one NFL RB making more than that, CMC.

Running back contracts have been in decline the last few years vs the total team cap.

Going into training camp this season the Buffalo Bills are the NFLs lowest RB cap spending team.

So, the Bills should go lower?  Anyone thinking that any UDFA off the streets is better than Cook is a fool.

What cracks me up is the INSANE position that "NO RB SHOULD EVER BE SIGNED TO ANY 2ND CONTRACT".

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

You quoted one poster who said no RB should get a second contract 3 posts ago. 

Here if you forgot it was all of 7mins ago:

@DrDawkinstein, other posters in this thread, and I have been proposing number way lower.

I did not see his particular post about $15M, but you continue with your "hot takes".

I'll move on.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Stats say he’s “special”, reality says he’s a paper Tiger.  These are the EXACT type of players you let walk and go get paid stupidly somewhere else.    He’s not a difference maker, outside of the drops he had that cost us in big moments.  He’ll be RB 2 here by mid-season and this won’t even be a debate.

I tend to lean toward this scenario.  You either can catch the ball or you can't.  I don't think some jugs machine is going to help his focus.  We made the correct decision on Tremaine Edmunds & Gabe Davis.  I think James follows those 2 into fa.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I generally agree, unless he starts doing what he did at UGA... which is running literal slot AND outside WR routes while being a RB. 

That's a pretty unique skillset, but the drops - if they continue - will hold him back from ever reaching his ceiling and keep him relegated to a RB classification and we definitely shouldn't be giving RB's second contracts. 

If he corrects that this season, and we use him in a way that keeps the wear and tear to a minimum.. I'm not totally opposed to giving a second contract to a RB who can, on any play/alignment, flex out to WR and run actual WR routes against a linebacker or safety. 

Like you said and I 💯 agree if the drops continue there's no way we keep him beyond his rookie deal. He's a good rb between the 20's but not a redzone power back. He absolutely can't keep dropping easy td passes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Concurrent threads considering paying James Cook $15M AAV and mocking the Vikings for extending Jefferson is so on brand

Who is mocking the Vikings?  Pointing out there is 20 mil difference likely larger at the top of the RB market vs Wr.  With the way Wr contracts are going Cooks contract likely falls somewhere in Wr 2 to Wr 3 range.  I would argue it it’s easier to find a wr 2 or 3 in the draft than a back like Cook.  Still big if is injury.  Only had one year of that level of usage.  2024 will be telling if he can handle that consistently. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, appoo said:

He was 11th in EPA last season, 5th in Yards after contact, had less tackles for losses than guys like CMC, had the 2nd most 10+ rushes in the league, and had a decent prescence in the pass game. 

Sure RBs are a dime a dozen, RBs with him impact are actually somewhat rare 

James Cook Light boxes. CMC heavy boxes.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)

I'm guessing the strategy will be to draft a mid-round guy every year or two to keep the pipeline going so that they don't have to ever pay a RB a 2nd contract.  Maybe Davis takes over when Cook's contract expires and they'll draft another back sometime in the next couple of years.  Singletary, Moss, Cook, Davis, fill in the blank.  Cheap veteran RBs on short-term deals can be mixed in.

If the Bills have a strong OL and an effective passing game, this model can work.  If the OL can't run block and there's no threat of the pass, this will not work.  Great RBs can produce behind a weaker line and mediocre backs can produce behind a strong line, but mediocre backs can't produce behind a weaker line.  The threat of the pass can also move the safeties back out of the box and help open up the run game.  I'm optimistic that they'll be able run the ball effectively with Kromer and Brady at the helm with their current personnel.  If the 5th round C from Georgia pans out, they should have a very strong line for the next few years and even if he doesn't, they still might be fine with Edwards at G and McGovern at C.  They looked pretty good in post-Dorsey portion of last season.  They put on a clinic during the Dallas game.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

As with all things it depends...

In general I would not pay big money to a RB.  They are probably the most replaceable position in NFL besides guards and non-pass rushing linebackers. In addition there is an ample supply of good enough running backs. 

The game has changed. Many of us grew up on Thurman Thomas, Faulk, Tomlinson, and James that were elite dual threat running backs.  Those guys are now mostly replaced by the superstar TE and slot WRs that create bugger mismatches.  

Now if you can get both parties to make a sensible deal and it is for a max of 3 years I can see a second contract getting done. 

The it depends part, really comes down to timing of other guys. There will be several guys off the books in 2025 and next year they have 3 picks in the top 2 rounds to add young bodies. So they can be strategic in who they let walk and who they bring back. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s an average RB so far in his career. Right now the decision is let walk.

He's a GOOD running back but not GREAT.  I think he could be replaced fairly easily. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, DeepPass said:

He's a GOOD running back but not GREAT.  I think he could be replaced fairly easily. 

Maybe I should say he’s your average good RB.

Any Bills RB will face a lot of light boxes. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I really think Cook is going to be something special when he puts it all together—Georgia is for RBs what Penn State used to be for linebackers—they churn out quality backs and his pedigree is there. I think this will be a big year for him, and see Beane hanging on to him with our better cap situation incoming, imho. I get all the arguments about RB being devalued, but last I checked you still need to be able to effectively run the ball, and if you can get great protection from the position, not just good enough, I’d pay something for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Who is mocking the Vikings?  Pointing out there is 20 mil difference likely larger at the top of the RB market vs Wr.  With the way Wr contracts are going Cooks contract likely falls somewhere in Wr 2 to Wr 3 range.  I would argue it it’s easier to find a wr 2 or 3 in the draft than a back like Cook.  Still big if is injury.  Only had one year of that level of usage.  2024 will be telling if he can handle that consistently. 

oh i dunno only like every other post in that thread like

12 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

This is insane $$$. The NFL has lost it.

12 hours ago, Iverwig said:

He will be traded in a couple years. 

12 hours ago, Brand J said:

$35M AAV, yikes.

12 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Signing a super elite WR before you have the QB room in hand seems like putting the cart before the horse

11 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

This is an insanely stupid contract.

10 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

How deep has Jefferson taken the Vikings?

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Does it matter for the Vikings? They haven't won anything with him, and now they don't have a QB. They haven't won a single playoff game with Jefferson.

10 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

absurd to pay a non-QB that much money

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

That is stupid money even for a great WR.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Rookie QB contracts cause teams to make dumb decisions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills might be facing a tough decision heading into 2025 if Cook has another good year this year.  Cook will be on the final year of his deal in 2025...so do you think if he keeps playing at a high level they commit to him with an extension or do you think they avoid having an expensive RB and either try and trade him or just let him walk in FA?  

Sounds like a question that can't be answered until after 2024.

3 minutes ago, Manther said:

Sounds like a question that can't be answered until after 2024.

Well in the question posed it was asking under the assumption he had a good 2024 already, so nah, you don’t need to wait to answer under the context of how the question was phrased.  

• Like (+1) 1

Cook should be balling out and making JA17 love him. 

If Cook wants to play the money game, the Bills should play it back. Hardball, incentives, tag.. But if JC4 plays nice and Josh feels like he has to have him, then things could go well for the next four years. 

Whether he stays or goes....helluva pick by Beane.  He traded back twice (what would become the Benford pick I believe).  Clearly they didn't have a 2nd round grade on him, but they still liked him.  I'm never on team running back early in the draft.  But I appreciated that Beane took a weapon.  A clear explosive upgrade over Devin.  Just like Kincaid was a clear explosive upgrade over Knox.  And now Keon.  So that pick, to me, heralded a new approach.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.