Does James Cook leave or get an extension if he keeps this level of play up?

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Draft one to replace him. Paying running backs doesn't usually work out these days.

If he is only worth 3 million a year, that means he was largely average and not a difference maker. That's less than Devin Singletary got paid. Let running backs like that walk.

Or it just means the market for RBs doesnt pay them well. Fine, let's say $4M, which is more than Singletary, Saquon Barkley, and Austin Ekeler just got. Plus the cap will be going up.

The exact value doesnt matter. The point is, we can talk about some very good RBs that still make less than $5M/year. This isnt the WR market.

If your guy performs well, and you can keep him for that cheap, you keep him.

• Like (+1) 1

He needs to live up to his receiving profile coming out of Georgia to be considered for a second contract. 

He's a much better RB than I ever though he would be, but the receiving aspect is what separates him from RB and "weapon".  

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Or it just means the market for RBs doesnt pay them well. Fine, let's say $4M, which is more than Singletary, Saquon Barkley, and Austin Ekeler just got. Plus the cap will be going up.

The exact value doesnt matter. The point is, we can talk about some very good RBs that still make less than $5M/year. This isnt the WR market.

Yes, you keep him.  What also happens is less draft capital is needed for the position.  More chances for other offensive talent to be taken.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

New contracts are always at a premium. Existing contracts are always behind the curve.

And if he is a difference maker He'll cost $8m+. And if he isn't a difference maker, why resign him anyway? You might as well bring in some young, fresh legs.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills might be facing a tough decision heading into 2025 if Cook has another good year this year.  Cook will be on the final year of his deal in 2025...so do you think if he keeps playing at a high level they commit to him with an extension or do you think they avoid having an expensive RB and either try and trade him or just let him walk in FA?  

Don't care. You never EVER give an RB a second contract. Ever.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I hope Beane is smart enough to let him walk. He has good qualities but is far from ideal (blocking, short-yardage, etc.) and we get a comp pick.

Spend the money on WRs, O-line. 

Edited by Nephilim17

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, MJS said:

New contracts are always at a premium. Existing contracts are always behind the curve.

And if he is a difference maker He'll cost $8m+. And if he isn't a difference maker, why resign him anyway? You might as well bring in some young, fresh legs.

We arent talking about the anomalies like Kamara and McCaffery.

Barkley and Ekeler's contracts are new this year. Even Nick Chubb has only a $2.5M salary (with a $6M hit due to some dead cap)

Follow the link: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/player/_/year/2024/position/rb/sort/cap_total

There are only 4 RBs in the entire league making more than $8M, and that's with plenty of new contracts this year.

If he costs $8M+ then we've won a Super Bowl and he was MVP

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Barkley and Ekeler's contracts are new this year. Even Nick Chubb has only a $2.5M salary (with a $6M hit due to some dead cap)

Follow the link: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/player/_/year/2024/position/rb/sort/cap_total

There are only 4 RBs in the entire league making more than $8M, and that's with plenty of new contracts this year.

Barkley and Ekeler are older now. Barkley is 27 and Ekeler is 29. Plus Barkley has an extensive injury history. They are both on the decline.

But we'll see with Cook.

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Stop trying to convince me to subscribe to bad strategies! 

The only way I consider paying Cook is if he starts catching 60+ balls a year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Most here don't see what we are saying.  It has got to a point where 99% of NFL RBs are now put into a category where they are all

considered the same by way too many fans.

If Cook plays well his last 2 years and is in good health, you offer him a "reasonable" 3-year contract.  If he and his agent refuse and get

more money somewhere else, great.  Get a comp pick.

It seems to me fans have now combined the reality of not resigning RBs to huge $ 4-year contracts with the overreaction of never

resigning any RB to any length or any dollar amount.  As with most things in life the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Very largely dependent on this season imo.  He was solid in 2023, some drop issues.  I do wonder if keeping him out of the end zone (he gets like no red zone carries) will make him want to leave though.  

I don't know?  He's not built like a redzone runner and 4 td drops cannot be swept under the rug. Let's see if his ability to catch the ball has improved?  If it does then I'm keeping him.

2 hours ago, ClemsonBills said:

James Cook will not see a second contract. Doesn't matter how well he plays.

This is wayyyy …. overstated. I think there is room for a reasonable second contract.  However, to your point his skill set is limited and he is not good at pass pro. I just don’t see him getting a huge contract given the short half life of RB’s in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Stats say he’s “special”, reality says he’s a paper Tiger.  These are the EXACT type of players you let walk and go get paid stupidly somewhere else.    He’s not a difference maker, outside of the drops he had that cost us in big moments.  He’ll be RB 2 here by mid-season and this won’t even be a debate.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Don't care. You never EVER give an RB a second contract. Ever.

I generally agree, unless he starts doing what he did at UGA... which is running literal slot AND outside WR routes while being a RB. 

That's a pretty unique skillset, but the drops - if they continue - will hold him back from ever reaching his ceiling and keep him relegated to a RB classification and we definitely shouldn't be giving RB's second contracts. 

If he corrects that this season, and we use him in a way that keeps the wear and tear to a minimum.. I'm not totally opposed to giving a second contract to a RB who can, on any play/alignment, flex out to WR and run actual WR routes against a linebacker or safety. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.