Does James Cook leave or get an extension if he keeps this level of play up?

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ray Davis was drafted to be his replacement. 

This is what I think as well. And in 2 years they will draft Davis's replacement. They have shown this is what they like to do at RB in the past with Singletary.

That said Cook is a good back. He'll find someone to pay him well if he keeps being productive. The drops, fumbles and mediocre pass blocking skills leave him below elite level, however.

43 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree, especially if Cook does not improve.  While Cook had good 2023 numbers he didn't look special in the eye test.  A lot of what he did was based on circumstances, being the RB1 for the team and having a better O line.

I hope the FO gets back to the strategy of inexpensive RBs - and put those resources into WR (and of course the franchise QB).

When teams play Buffalo, they scheme to stop/slow down Josh.  They don't scheme for Cook.  The attitude is: Yeah, Cook may hurt us, but Allen will kill us if we let him.  He's a nice back but I think his solid YPC since being with the Bills is more a factor of the offense he's in and how he's used.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

Davis is the future of our RB insurance.......bank on it.

Actually, as little as I know college ball, this was my first thought when we drafted him.  Davis will be the new starting RB on a rookie contract when Cook leaves.  

48 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

True duel threat

Word. I wonder if he prefers sabers or flintlock pistols?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Actually, as little as I know college ball, this was my first thought when we drafted him.  Davis will be the new starting RB on a rookie contract when Cook leaves.  

I think Davis is a "plug and play" type player for us.......you can basically throw him into the line-up, let Cook walk and not miss a beat.

• Like (+1) 1

It's really all dependent on the numbers. 

If it makes sense for both sides, ok.

If he's looking to be the highest paid RB then that's a big no.

There's a reason why Ray Davis was drafted.

9 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Word. I wonder if he prefers sabers or flintlock pistols?

I let it go, but I knew it was a matter of time before someone commented. 🤣

If you have a problem with that I'll see you at dawn! 

Slingshots are my choice 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

It seems to me a lot of top RBs sign huge 2nd contracts that never end up seeing the final years of the contract.

If Cook is playing well, it would behoove him and his agent to sign a 3-year deal for "reasonable" money.

I got no problem paying a very good RB who fits a team's scheme and system $3M-$4M per year.

I think he gets a 2nd contract. I dont think it breaks the bank or is anything crazy, as is the RB market.

He makes about $1.5M/yr now. Maybe gets ~$3M-4M/yr on a 3yr extension.

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It seems to me a lot of top RBs sign huge 2nd contracts that never end up seeing the final years of the contract.

If Cook is playing well, it would behoove him and his agent to sign a 3-year deal for "reasonable" money.

I got no problem paying a very good RB who fits a team's scheme and system $3M-$4M per year.

Ha! Pretty much where I'm at too.

• Like (+1) 2

The general rule seems to be that you're gonna pay two star skill players. It doesn't matter that he's a running back if he's producing in the offense. 

Pay him and Kincaid. Structure it so you'll be able to get out and pay Coleman or another rookie down the line (if he turns out good, obviously). If you don't want to pay a RB simply because he's a RB then you gotta be confident you'll get a player just as good in the draft or accept the fact that you'll be overpaying in free agency.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Ray Davis was drafted to be his replacement. 

I had Davis as my 3rd best RB in the draft on my board and felt like he wasn't just a piece to compliment Cook, he was a guy who could take over at some point too.  So I would think Beane saw some of the same things in him.  

The real question for me is if Davis and Cook become more of a 50/50 tandem and Cook doesn't command an egregious amount as a FA and prefers to stay on a home town discount.  2 important things is that we don't have a top heavy WR1 contract now and Von's deal will be gone.  So we would have the cap flexibility to retain Cook of the deal was reasonable.  

If I had to put money on it now though, I would say that Cook probably doesn't get the 2nd contract here.  Which also makes me wonder if Beane tries to trade Cook a year early if Davis comes in and has a strong rookie year.  

• Agree 1

Looking at the RB market:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/player/_/year/2024/position/rb/sort/cap_total

Seems like we should be able to get him re-signed around $3M/year. Let's say $3.5M.

That isnt significant money, imo, and doesnt fall into "paying stars". We pay special teamers more money than that.

If Cook continues to produce and improve, no reason to not extend him a few more years at that rate.

• Like (+1) 3

Draft one to replace him. Paying running backs doesn't usually work out these days.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Looking at the RB market:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/player/_/year/2024/position/rb/sort/cap_total

Seems like we should be able to get him re-signed around $3M/year. Let's say $3.5M.

That isnt significant money, imo, and doesnt fall into "paying stars". We pay special teamers more money than that.

If Cook continues to produce and improve, no reason to not extend him a few more years at that rate.

If he is only worth 3 million a year, that means he was largely average and not a difference maker. That's less than Devin Singletary got paid. Let running backs like that walk.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.