Does James Cook leave or get an extension if he keeps this level of play up?

Cook needs to work on two things and get better at 

1- pass protection 

2- hanging on to the ball 

If he can prove this year that he can do that I think he gets an extension , I think a Cook will have 50 + receptions this year, and  I don’t think it’s crazy to say that Cook can lead the league in total yards from scrimmage , 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I suspect part of Beane's cap-management plan is to keep drafting backs and never paying real money for one.  

You can't spend big at every position...  RBs are a dime a dozen...  Today's NFL is a passing league. 

I'm guessing those are his considerations.   I think Cook walks.  

1567 total yards is a dime a dozen ?when was the last time we had a good RB since L McCoy left ? We used a premium draft capital on Cook yes if he’ll ask for something crazy then he walks but otherwise I think he gets extended 

Edited by Putin

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

Stop with this dime a dozen BS when was the last time we had a good RB since L McCoy left ? We used a premium draft capital on Cook yes if he’ll ask for something crazy then he walks but otherwise I think he gets extended 

What’s a reasonable contract?

Also I think Singletary was very productive for us in limited time. We didn’t run as much when he was here.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What’s a reasonable contract?

Also I think Singletary was very productive for us in limited time. We didn’t run as much when he was here.

He was 4th in rushing and in the top 5 or better in total yards ( if I’m not mistaken) 

to be honest I’m not sure what would be a reasonable contract , but it he can clean up the drops and be even a bigger threat as a receiver then he should be paid as a top 5 RB what ever that is 

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

The guy finished 3rd in yards from scrimmage for all RBs in the NFL in his second year.  How is that average?  

1567 total yards is a dime a dozen ,why pay or waste draft capital there’s plenty of undrafted RB’s you can get every year 😉

1 minute ago, Putin said:

He was 4th in rushing and in the top 5 or better in total yards ( if I’m not mistaken) 

to be honest I’m not sure what would be a reasonable contract , but it he can clean up the drops and be even a bigger threat as a receiver then he should be paid as a top 5 RB what ever that is 

He was 5th in most carries vs 6 or fewer in the box also. The rushing doesn’t impress me.

What has to separate RBs is the receiving. He definitely has a skill set as a route runner that not all RBs have. But he’s been inconsistent. If he cleans that up and becomes a 70 catch RB, sure. He probably gets a 2nd contract.

Its also tough with Allen but he has to score more.

1,500 total yards, 60-70 catches, 10 total tds. Thats a solid stat line that isn’t easy to replace.

He’s got the total yards just needs to increase the TDs. He won’t get many tds inside the 5 with Allen so he’ll need to break some TDs for long gains. Also not drop TDs.

Some random thoughts:

-- After 2 years in the league, Cook does not have a lot of mileage on him. So I would be less fearful of signing him to a 2nd contract than I would be if he were a true workhorse style RB.

-- Davis profiles to be more of a "every-down" back than Cook does. Obviously he has not played a down in the NFL yet, so we will have to see.

-- The Davis/Cook combo could be lethal, if Davis proves to be the 4th-round steal I hope he proves to be and Brady comes up with some quality schemes.

-- The market the last couple of years has not been a great one for RBs, as teams have realized the short lifespan they have and the typical poor investment in giving a workhorse RB a huge 2nd contract

All of this is to say that if Cook continues to improve and evolves into a mainstay "lightning" in a proverbial thunder-and-lightning running game, then he could very well be worth re-signing, provided that the contract is a modest one. Conversely, if Davis does turn out to be a workhorse, it would not be difficult finding a 3rd-down back to replace Cook and compliment Davis. So many factors at play here, some of which we will find out this year: Does Cook continue to improve? How good is Davis?

Regardless, if Cook is looking for a contract that pays him north of, say, $4M per season, then that money would be better invested elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was 5th in most carries vs 6 or fewer in the box also. The rushing doesn’t impress me.

What has to separate RBs is the receiving. He definitely has a skill set as a route runner that not all RBs have. But he’s been inconsistent. If he cleans that up and becomes a 70 catch RB, sure. He probably gets a 2nd contract.

Its also tough with Allen but he has to score more.

1,500 total yards, 60-70 catches, 10 total tds. Thats a solid stat line that isn’t easy to replace.

He’s got the total yards just needs to increase the TDs. He won’t get many tds inside the 5 with Allen so he’ll need to break some TDs for long gains. Also not drop TDs.

I think Cook will have bigger role as a receiver  in this new Brady’s offense , I can see Cook getting 15 touches and 5+ targets average about 100 total yards per game 

11 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Some random thoughts:

-- After 2 years in the league, Cook does not have a lot of mileage on him. So I would be less fearful of signing him to a 2nd contract than I would be if he were a true workhorse style RB.

-- Davis profiles to be more of a "every-down" back than Cook does. Obviously he has not played a down in the NFL yet, so we will have to see.

-- The Davis/Cook combo could be lethal, if Davis proves to be the 4th-round steal I hope he proves to be and Brady comes up with some quality schemes.

-- The market the last couple of years has not been a great one for RBs, as teams have realized the short lifespan they have and the typical poor investment in giving a workhorse RB a huge 2nd contract

All of this is to say that if Cook continues to improve and evolves into a mainstay "lightning" in a proverbial thunder-and-lightning running game, then he could very well be worth re-signing, provided that the contract is a modest one. Conversely, if Davis does turn out to be a workhorse, it would not be difficult finding a 3rd-down back to replace Cook and compliment Davis. So many factors at play here, some of which we will find out this year: Does Cook continue to improve? How good is Davis?

Regardless, if Cook is looking for a contract that pays him north of, say, $4M per season, then that money would be better invested elsewhere.

If Devin Singletary got $ 5.5 million per season I’m pretty sure Cook should and will get at least that and probably more 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Putin said:

1567 total yards is a dime a dozen ?when was the last time we had a good RB since L McCoy left ? We used a premium draft capital on Cook yes if he’ll ask for something crazy then he walks but otherwise I think he gets extended 

In the 1960s, the best athletes became RBs.  Nowadays, the best athletes become RBs and DBs.  That doesn't mean that all RBs are created equal but the difference between a very good back and an average back isn't all that great and not worth the salary differential when you're trying to build a passing attack.   

I think Beane sees his 1567 total yards is a result of the offense Cook plays, not a measuring stick of his talent.  

While Cook had 1,500 yards of offense, Allen had nearly 5,000.   Who are opponents scheming to stop?  Other teams game-planned to stop Allen.  They game-planned to cover Diggs.  Cook was an afterthought.  Just look at the two-high shells, 4-2-5, and other soft defenses we faced.  In the old days, the D's Allen often saw across the LOS would have been called "Pass Prevent."   

A little perspective...  Thurman got over 2,000 yards rushing and receiving in a 16-game season when he was a focal part of the offense.  OJ rushed for over 2,000 yards in a 14-game season against run-first defenses when he was the offense.  Cook gained 1,500 yards rushing and receiving against Pass Prevent defenses in a 17-game season when he was the threat Ds didn't worry about.  It's a nice accomplishment but not special.     

I personally don't think Beane sees Cook as irreplaceable.  That's my guess though I'm hoping Cook proves me wrong by gaining over 2,000 this year and making Beane and me rethink our positions.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

It depends on who we have behind him? Also at what level is Cook playing at? If he's a top 5 guy again I think you should re-sign him as long as it's not going to break the bank. By that time think Von's contract should be off the books so can use the money on Cook as needed. Yet we're still talking two more full seasons to play which is a long time for a RB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Unless he plays great and wants to sign for slightly below market, he’s gone when his contract is done.  There are few backs in the NFL worth a second contract and nothing Cook has shown so far makes me think he’s anything all that special.  I still think the guy is too soft and too often goes down on first contact.  

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

In the 1960s, the best athletes became RBs.  Nowadays, the best athletes become RBs and DBs.  That doesn't mean that all RBs are created equal but the difference between a very good back and an average back isn't all that great and not worth the salary differential when you're trying to build a passing attack.   

I think Beane sees his 1567 total yards is a result of the offense Cook plays, not a measuring stick of his talent.  

While Cook had 1,500 yards of offense, Allen had nearly 5,000.   Who are opponents scheming to stop?  Other teams game-planned to stop Allen.  They game-planned to cover Diggs.  Cook was an afterthought.  Just look at the two-high shells, 4-2-5, and other soft defenses we faced.  In the old days, the D's Allen often saw across the LOS would have been called "Pass Prevent."   

A little perspective...  Thurman got over 2,000 yards rushing and receiving in a 16-game season when he was a focal part of the offense.  OJ rushed for over 2,000 yards in a 14-game season against run-first defenses when he was the offense.  Cook gained 1,500 yards rushing and receiving against Pass Prevent defenses in a 17-game season when he was the threat Ds didn't worry about.  It's a nice accomplishment but not special.     

I personally don't think Beane sees Cook as irreplaceable.  That's my guess.  

I think the way the defenses we’re playing us was the reason why we drafted Cook with his skill set , I think he’s a perfect fit for this offense 

32 minutes ago, DC Grid said:

Unless he plays great and wants to sign for slightly below market, he’s gone when his contract is done.  There are few backs in the NFL worth a second contract and nothing Cook has shown so far makes me think he’s anything all that special.  I still think the guy is too soft and too often goes down on first contact.  

I’m sure you would be thrilled to hear those words form your employer 😉

29 minutes ago, Putin said:

I think the way the defenses we’re playing us was the reason why we drafted Cook with his skill set , I think he’s a perfect fit for this offense 

That's a fair point (though I might have preferred a power back for us).    

But when you think about cap management, do you pay him when his contract is up?  

I mean, ideally, our backfield would consist of Josh, a Thurman Thomas clone as HB and a Cookie Gilchrist clone at FB when we use a FB.   But if Thomas and Gilchrist clones were available, we couldn't afford them except on rookie contracts.  

If you're a GM building a team, you have to economize somewhere.  I think Beane's decided to economize at the RB position. 

I think he's decided that we can either be great at passing or great at running - but not both.  And, for obvious reasons, he's decided he wants us to be great at passing.  It's not true in every case, but Beane has tended to get us linemen who our better in pass-pro than run-blocking.  After all, we do have Josh.  The passing game is the priority.  

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

That's a fair point (though I might have preferred a power back for us).    

But when you think about cap management, do you pay him when his contract is up?  

I mean, ideally, our backfield would consist of Josh, a Thurman Thomas clone as HB and a Cookie Gilchrist clone at FB when we use a FB.   But if Thomas and Gilchrist clones were available, we couldn't afford them except on rookie contracts.  

If you're a GM building a team, you have to economize somewhere.  I think Beane's decided to economize at the RB position. 

I think he's decided that we can either be great at passing or great at running - but not both.  And, for obvious reasons, he's decided he wants us to be great at passing.  It's not true in every case, but Beane has tended to get us linemen who our better in pass-pro than run-blocking.  After all, we do have Josh.  The passing game is the priority.  

I think having a good running game makes your passing game even better , i believe the plan for this year is to run the ball more we drafted a RB to complement Cook , as of now  we don’t really have a true WR1 hopefully Colman will become that , even with Josh being a unicorn I think McD always wanted to run the ball more , and I don’t think you have to sacrifice that much of your salary cap to have a good running game by paying  James Cook 

Edited by Putin

RBs on first contract I’d pay and try to keep:

Breece

Gibbs 

Bijan 

Walker

I don’t think Cook is as good as those guys - but if he wants 3 years 15 million I’d have zero issue with that.   

Posted (edited)

It's already been said a few times in here, but I agree with it and will reiterate:

The only time you give a second contract to a running back is if he's either a big time threat in the receiving game (like CMC or Kamara) or is so elite that he's the engine of your offense (Derrick Henry or Jonathan Taylor). And even in the latter case, it's not always great business.

Generally speaking, and with very few exceptions: Draft, employ for four (or five) years, let walk, repeat.

All of that said, unless Cook ups his contributions to the passing game considerably, I don't think the Bills should (or will) re-sign him.

Edited by Logic

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Logic said:

All of that said, unless Cook ups his contributions to the passing game considerably, I don't think the Bills should (or will) re-sign him.

Cook was 7th in the NFL in yards receiving by a RB last season (while only 20th in targets) His 10.1 yards per catch was second only to Brian Robinson Jr. 10.2 for the 48 RBs with over 20 catches.  His 4 receiving TDs was 3rd overall behind McCaffery with 7 and Jerome Ford with 5.  He also caught 81.5% of his targets.  His 4.7 yards per carry was 6th of the 35 players with 150 or more carries last season.  

Seems to me that it's up to Josh and Brady to get him the ball more in the passing game. 

Bottom line:  Cook was 4th in the NFL in rushing yards, 7th in the NFL in receiving yards and 3rd in the NFL in yards from scrimmage.  Enough people.  We have an elite RB and if he continues to play at the this level, he will be getting a 2nd contract with the Bills.  

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Cook was 7th in the NFL in yards receiving by a RB last season (while only 20th in targets) His 10.1 yards per catch was second only to Brian Robinson Jr. 10.2 for the 48 RBs with over 20 catches.  His 4 receiving TDs was 3rd overall behind McCaffery with 7 and Jerome Ford with 5.  He also caught 81.5% of his targets.  His 4.7 yards per carry was 6th of the 35 players with 150 or more carries last season.  

Seems to me that it's up to Josh and Brady to get him the ball more in the passing game. 

Bottom line:  Cook was 4th in the NFL in rushing yards, 7th in the NFL in receiving yards and 3rd in the NFL in yards from scrimmage.  Enough people.  We have an elite RB and if he continues to play at the this level, he will be getting a 2nd contract with the Bills.  

Not worth paying for his rookie contract production beyond his rookie contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.