Does James Cook leave or get an extension if he keeps this level of play up?

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s an average RB so far in his career. Right now the decision is let walk.

He’s above average. I think he will have a Kamara like year coming up, like 1st rounder in fantasy type stats.

The big thing he needs to work on is with establishing a consistent catch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is wayyyy …. overstated. I think there is room for a reasonable second contract.  However, to your point his skill set is limited and he is not good at pass pro. I just don’t see him getting a huge contract given the short half life of RB’s in the NFL.

Some team will overpay to the point where the Bills will not match. The cap is going up and struggling teams typically overpay for skill position players. The Bills are smart and will continue to draft RBs (see Ray Davis). They will not sign a RB to a second year contract of any significant value with Josh Allen on the books. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s an average RB so far in his career. Right now the decision is let walk.

He was 11th in EPA last season, 5th in Yards after contact, had less tackles for losses than guys like CMC, had the 2nd most 10+ rushes in the league, and had a decent prescence in the pass game. 

Sure RBs are a dime a dozen, RBs with him impact are actually somewhat rare 

• Like (+1) 2

Goes against most.  If he stays healthy and continues to be top in the league in all scrimmage yards I entertain it.  Whats the contract look like?  Similar to the deal Curtis Samuel got?  High end similar to Gabe Davis?  I would argue he is more important to the offense than either. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't want a large percentage of our cap to a RB.  I don't think a team misses a step if they change their #1 every 3 or so years.

Just keep replacing.

I would guess his contract would look like a Wr 2.  10 to 15 per year.  Consider top Wr is 30-35

Even with two more, high quality Pro Bowl seasons, I don't think the Bills will give a then 27-year old James Cook the contract $$$ he's seeking.   

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

He’s above average. I think he will have a Kamara like year coming up, like 1st rounder in fantasy type stats.

The big thing he needs to work on is with establishing a consistent catch. 

I don’t think he does anything above average. The thing that was supposed to separate him was his receiving skills, but he’s inconsistent there.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think walk. Davis will have 2 years in the system and can take over, draft another mid round RB that year and keep cycling through. 

The ONLY thing that changes the equation is if he becomes a real receiving threat. That could make them re-consider. I don't just mean a decent check down option. I mean Kamara or McCaffrey who teams design pass plays for. I don't see Cook ever being that but if he were then it might tip the balance for them. 

Never draft one day 1 either. 

and even in that scenario it becomes a lot of money for a guy you hope is behind Kincaid and a WR by design - 

It will depend on what Cook commands. If Cook has another good season I think the front office would likely work out a 2-3 year extension but not at a huge number. I think they would be willing to keep him on a 8ish million dollar a year deal but Cook will likely want more. Either way the Bills have all the leverage after this season with one more year on his rookie deal after this season so at worst they just get one more year out of him and let him walk or trade him. 

• Dislike 1

If Cook continues to put up 1,100yds on the ground and 500yds receiving, he may price himself out of our range. I can't see us giving $10M or more per year to a RB. For those saying Ray Davis will be his replacement, that is yet to be determined by any sort of play on the field. I'm almost certain we will have drafted at least one more RB in the middle rounds by then as well. We'll see when the time comes, but for now we have Cook for two more year. Possibly three if we use the FT. 

I would be disappointed if we let him walk under any circumstance aside from him pricing himself well above what we could afford.

Letting a guy go who was top 6 in the entire league for scrimmage yds, in his 2nd year, in 13 starts isn't just replaceable by anybody. 

Hopefully he continues to grow as a player and we retain him for the foreseeable future in tandem with Davis or another complimentary back.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Concurrent threads considering paying James Cook $15M AAV and mocking the Vikings for extending Jefferson is so on brand

Who is saying $15M a year?

There is one NFL RB making more than that, CMC.

Running back contracts have been in decline the last few years vs the total team cap.

Going into training camp this season the Buffalo Bills are the NFLs lowest RB cap spending team.

So, the Bills should go lower?  Anyone thinking that any UDFA off the streets is better than Cook is a fool.

What cracks me up is the INSANE position that "NO RB SHOULD EVER BE SIGNED TO ANY 2ND CONTRACT".

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Who is saying $15M a year?

There is one NFL RB making more than that, CMC.

Running back contracts have been in decline the last few years vs the total team cap.

Going into training camp this season the Buffalo Bills are the NFLs lowest RB cap spending team.

So, the Bills should go lower?  Anyone thinking that any UDFA off the streets is better than Cook is a fool.

What cracks me up is the INSANE position that "NO RB SHOULD EVER BE SIGNED TO ANY 2ND CONTRACT".

8comments up

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I would guess his contract would look like a Wr 2.  10 to 15 per year.  Consider top Wr is 30-35

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

8comments up

So one poster determines your entire consideration of a thread's relevance.

Most of us in favor of considering a 2nd contract are saying it would be only considered for one third that.

And I'm sorry @Mat68 $15M is never happening.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.