Does James Cook leave or get an extension if he keeps this level of play up?

Bills might be facing a tough decision heading into 2025 if Cook has another good year this year.  Cook will be on the final year of his deal in 2025...so do you think if he keeps playing at a high level they commit to him with an extension or do you think they avoid having an expensive RB and either try and trade him or just let him walk in FA?  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills might be facing a tough decision heading into 2025 if Cook has another good year this year.  Cook will be on the final year of his deal in 2025...so do you think if he keeps playing at a high level they commit to him with an extension or do you think they avoid having an expensive RB and either try and trade him or just let him walk in FA?  

Very largely dependent on this season imo.  He was solid in 2023, some drop issues.  I do wonder if keeping him out of the end zone (he gets like no red zone carries) will make him want to leave though.  

I don't think he would get one if he keeps dropping touchdown passes.  I do think the team likes him a lot.  He adds an element of speed and explosiveness that they value in the running back room.  It also depends a lot on how much he would be seeking. If it is around 10 million a year, they go a different direction. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I suspect part of Beane's cap-management plan is to keep drafting backs and never paying real money for one.  

You can't spend big at every position...  RBs are a dime a dozen...  Today's NFL is a passing league. 

I'm guessing those are his considerations.   I think Cook walks.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9

I vote no, I like him a lot athletically but he has some significant holes in his game....catching, blocking and short yardage.  The catching is something he needs to improve on, as is blocking, to some degree this is willingness.  He does not have the body for short yardage and that wont change.

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I suspect part of Beane's cap-management plan is to keep drafting backs and never paying real money for one.  

You can't spend big at every position...  RBs are a dime a dozen...  Today's NFL is a passing league. 

I'm guessing those are his considerations.   I think Cook walks.  

I agree, especially if Cook does not improve.  While Cook had good 2023 numbers he didn't look special in the eye test.  A lot of what he did was based on circumstances, being the RB1 for the team and having a better O line.

I hope the FO gets back to the strategy of inexpensive RBs - and put those resources into WR (and of course the franchise QB).

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No. 

Never.

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s an average RB so far in his career. Right now the decision is let walk.

he was 3rd in scrimmage yards for RBs, 18 yards from 2nd.. 

True duel threat

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

he was 3rd in scrimmage yards for RBs, 18 yards from 2nd.. 

True duel threat

The top 3 RB’s in scrimmage yards 2 years ago were Jonathan Taylor, Najee Harris, and Austin Ekeler. 

Ekeler is washed, Najee’s career has hit a cliff, and Jonathan Taylor hasn’t cracked 1k rushing yards since.

DO NOT PAY RUNNING BACKS. IT IS THE WORST INVESTMENT IN THE NFL. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

I am of the mindset to let your RBs walk after their rookie contract especially if you have a Franchise QB. Would rather spend the money on the offensive line and have system like Denver had all those years where they would just churn out RBs who ran for 1k. 

Edited by billieve420

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The top 3 RB’s in scrimmage yards 2 years ago were Jonathan Taylor, Najee Harris, and Austin Ekeler. 

Ekeler is washed, Najee’s career has hit a cliff, and Jonathan Taylor hasn’t cracked 1k rushing yards since.

DO NOT PAY RUNNING BACKS. IT IS THE WORST INVESTMENT IN THE NFL. 

Which is one of the reasons why I’ve supported taking one of the best ones in the draft in rd1 before. You get him for that 5th year option which is huge. And if he’s really good and still producing you can always franchise tag him at least once. Hell, by then Allen’s career will likely be close to over. 

• Disagree 2

38 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s an average RB so far in his career. Right now the decision is let walk.

The guy finished 3rd in yards from scrimmage for all RBs in the NFL in his second year.  How is that average?  

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I think walk. Davis will have 2 years in the system and can take over, draft another mid round RB that year and keep cycling through. 

The ONLY thing that changes the equation is if he becomes a real receiving threat. That could make them re-consider. I don't just mean a decent check down option. I mean Kamara or McCaffrey who teams design pass plays for. I don't see Cook ever being that but if he were then it might tip the balance for them. 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Which is one of the reasons why I’ve supported taking one of the best ones in the draft in rd1 before. You get him for that 5th year option which is huge. And if he’s really good and still producing you can always franchise tag him at least once. Hell, by then Allen’s career will likely be close to over. 

Never draft one day 1 either. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think walk. Davis will have 2 years in the system and can take over, draft another mid round RB that year and keep cycling through. 

The ONLY thing that changes the equation is if he becomes a real receiving threat. That could make them re-consider. I don't just mean a decent check down option. I mean Kamara or McCaffrey who teams design pass plays for. I don't see Cook ever being that but if he were then it might tip the balance for them. 

Never draft one day 1 either. 

So you don’t agree with my argument. Got it. Say no more Fam 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.