ESPN will decide if NHL can return

Adam

If they don't want the NHL to be successful, they will be very critical, and not show much on sportscenter. If they want to push the NHL, then all of the people that the program so successfully will watch.

ESPN basically has become much better at creating the news by controlling their viewers than they are at reporting it.

Ummmm, yeah.

360331[/snapback]

Face the facts- whatever they want to push becomes big- they push individual accomplishments in all sports, bombard us with tons of highlights of them, and eventually it becomes what we want to see. They have an agenda, but most people miss it. They are as bad as the rest of the media

Face the facts- whatever they want to push becomes big- they push individual accomplishments in all sports, bombard us with tons of highlights of them, and eventually it becomes what we want to see. They have an agenda, but most people miss it. They are as bad as the rest of the media

360338[/snapback]

Ummm, yeah.

360338[/snapback]

No, no...You have it all wrong!

It's not ESPN your taking about, its HALIBURTON

:blush:

360338[/snapback]

You can imply that it worked with X-Games. Bottom line, no matter how much they push, if there's no interest in the sport, people will turn off. There was a lot of grassroots support for X-Games types of sports, and that's why it took off. Hockey has been marginalized by its own doing, not by what ESPN decides to air.

If media controls the minds of the sports fans, why did Goodwill games fail on TBS?

You can imply that it worked with X-Games.  Bottom line, no matter how much they push, if there's no interest in the sport, people will turn off.  There was a lot of grassroots support for X-Games types of sports, and that's why it took off.  Hockey has been marginalized by its own doing, not by what ESPN decides to air.

If media controls the minds of the sports fans, why did Goodwill games fail on TBS?

360354[/snapback]

The media can't push just anything, but they do push the things that will give them the easiest stories. They push things that are very boring- it took me hours to deprogram somebody from thinking that homeruns are "oh-so-entertaining!"

Of course they are, how could you not enjoy something that no play is to be made on. ESPN dumbs its viewers down- the guy I talked to had no idea what a double switch was....that would be too hard for the so-called journalists on E-spin to explain. They are too worried about telling us what to like- which they do all the time if you watch for it.

The Media controls everything we see and pay attention to....just like ESPN controls much of our sports viewing options.

Just today, there are debates as to why younger white women like Natalie Halloway gets all the attention (and Laci Peterson, runaway bride, etc...) Meanwhile when a black or Hispanic woman disppears the media doesn't really give a hoot.

360338[/snapback]

Umm, they must give what people want, as they drove every other competitor off the air.

• 4 weeks later...
Umm, they must give what people want, as they drove every other competitor off the air.

360497[/snapback]

Actually, they get people to want what they give........more people are simpletons than not.........just ask Paris Hilton.

When I was programming radio stations I used to hear the same thing..."If you only played more music by (BAND NAME HERE) people would like them!" The reason that most classic rock stations play only about 500 songs is that's all most people want to hear.

If ESPN showed hockey 24/7, it would not make hockey more popular. ESPN is entertainment, not school. You don't watch to learn, you watch to sit in your underwear, crack open a cold, one and scratch your nuts.

PTR

When I was programming radio stations I used to hear the same thing..."If you only played more music by (BAND NAME HERE) people would like them!"  The reason that most classic rock stations play only about 500 songs is that's all most people want to hear.

I have a theory that kind of ties into that - "Most people suck". It's not totally fleshed out, but that's the basic premise. Nothing like hearing the same songs over and over again on any given station. Then, if you work a different shift later that day, you can hear the exact same tape played back again on your way to/from work twelve hours later.

If they don't want the NHL to be successful, they will be very critical, and not show much on sportscenter. If they want to push the NHL, then all of the people that the program so successfully will watch.

ESPN basically has become much better at creating the news by controlling their viewers than they are at reporting it.

360330[/snapback]

Booya, Shazzam, Shaba Laba Ding Dong!!

I know where you are coming from. I stopped watching ESPN on a regular basis when Chris Berman lowered himself to appologize for Rush Limbaugh's "dispicable conduct". Meanwhile you have a bunch of loudmouth NBA broadcasters coming up with BS every night. ESPN is basically a 24 commercial. It markets to teenagers and minorities. If you happen to watch and aren't in those demographics, God bless...but they are going after Madison Ave #'s.

The only way hockey goes mainstream is if they embrace fighting. It was a great game in the 70's when rivalries were personal. Don Cherry was right...bring in the Euros and the game goes soft. Look at how ESPN was creaming in their pants for Pistons/Pacers brawl....violence sells. Violence actually has a place in hockey. Hopefully the players will be hungry when they get back and be more physical.

Booya, Shazzam, Shaba Laba Ding Dong!!

I know where you are coming from. I stopped watching ESPN on a regular basis when Chris Berman lowered himself to appologize for Rush Limbaugh's "dispicable conduct".  Meanwhile you have a bunch of loudmouth NBA broadcasters coming up with BS every night. ESPN is basically a 24 commercial. It markets to teenagers and minorities. If you happen to watch and aren't in those demographics, God bless...but they are going after Madison Ave #'s.

The only way hockey goes mainstream is if they embrace fighting. It was a great game in the 70's when rivalries were personal. Don Cherry was right...bring in the Euros and the game goes soft. Look at how ESPN was creaming in their pants for Pistons/Pacers brawl....violence sells. Violence actually has a place in hockey. Hopefully the players will be hungry when they get back and be more physical.

380375[/snapback]

Uhm, tennages and minorties are about as opposite as you can be from the demographic they want. Not saying ESPN is not getting plain unwatchable, but still white middle class males between the ages of 18 and 55 is who they want.

Who else wanted to puke watching Berman last night during the home run derby. My lord, is he just awful now, especially on baseball. Can somewhat bear him on primetime, but thats about it.

Okay, who better to team with Joe Morgan, one of the all time great baseball announcers in Jon Miller, or 10 years stale Chris Berman. Please stick to the NFL Chris!!!!!

Well he's better than Stuart Scott...BOO YA!...Pure crap....If one watched sportscenter when Hockey/Basketball/Football seasons run concurrently...NHL highlights come on in about the 45th minute......After football and after BB. It used to piss me off because they didn't do enough to promote the game....a game they had rights too att...and they didn't have NBA rights then. They coulda done more to promote it. Just my 2 cents.