The 77 second Miracle in 1990, Broncos at Bills

37 minutes ago, AZSanta said:

I was shocked to see the refs telling the crowd to quiet down before the Elway fumble. That seems ridiculous that the NFL would have refs do this back then.

There was a rule in place back then...a stupid one that they got rid of pretty quickly 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I was at this game and have been to many Bills games, home and away, over the years, including the comeback playoff win against Houston.  This short segment of time was the loudest, craziest, most raucous crowd I have ever experienced at a Bills game (or any other sporting event, for that matter).  I'll never forget it!

Was there with my Dad and I have always maintained that game was the loudest I have ever heard that stadium. I lost my voice for a week after that one. Great memories.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

A true classic. I -and all who were in attendance will never forget it! Then we followed this game up with a last minute, come from behind Home win vs the Jets, then SNF Home game vs the Raiders -where we came from behind again in the 4th quarter. We KNEW then this would be a special season -a Super Season.

Enjoy!

Thanks.  I watch this every time it's posted.   Fantastic!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I’m old.  But I really like watching the old broadcasts… without all the distracting onscreen stuff.  You get to just see the players and crowd.    Now… you have the constant ticker with scores and individual stats, down and distance, current LOS, first down line, tv station logo,  and whatever else I’m forgetting.    You forget how distracting that all is, until you see one of these old broadcasts. 

Not to mention announcers that actually talk about the game being played on the field. 

I am old though. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

A true classic. I -and all who were in attendance will never forget it! Then we followed this game up with a last minute, come from behind Home win vs the Jets, then SNF Home game vs the Raiders -where we came from behind again in the 4th quarter. We KNEW then this would be a special season -a Super Season.

Enjoy!

I was always thought this was the entire turning point for this franchise. 

• Like (+1) 3

Wasn't there, but watched it. Still get goose bumps.

Crazy series of events. 

Best part, I was young, in my early 20's, single, my own apartment, new car, good job, hope for Buffalo sports teams wasn't completely crushed yet 😀

Man.....Good times! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Enjoy!

That blocked field goal is a thing of beauty. The ball just happens to land in the hands of the guy furthest down the field in open space. Wish we had some of that luck in the superbowls 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PonyBoy said:

Wasn't there, but watched it. Still get goose bumps.

Crazy series of events. 

Best part, I was young, in my early 20's, single, my own apartment, new car, good job, hope for Buffalo sports teams wasn't completely crushed yet 😀

Man.....Good times! 

Those early 20s, carefree days are so special!  It doesn't take long before the weight of the world crushes your spirit :lol:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Those early 20s, carefree days are so special!  It doesn't take long before the weight of the world crushes your spirit :lol:

To quote the late great George Carlin...Behind every pessimist, there was once an optimist. 

Let's go Buffalo! I want it so bad for that region of crazy fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Dan said:

I’m old.  But I really like watching the old broadcasts… without all the distracting onscreen stuff.  You get to just see the players and crowd.    Now… you have the constant ticker with scores and individual stats, down and distance, current LOS, first down line, tv station logo,  and whatever else I’m forgetting.    You forget how distracting that all is, until you see one of these old broadcasts. 

Not to mention announcers that actually talk about the game being played on the field. 

I am old though. 

I feel this way watching an NHL game.  Watch a hockey game from the early 80s where the boards, ice, jerseys, helmets are free of annoying advertising.  Such a clean game.

• Like (+1) 4

20 hours ago, Dan said:

I am old though. 

Watch the old AFL broadcasts with Curt Gowdy and Charlie Jones, they made the game truly entertaining!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

Man Norwood wanted them to have this one lol

Levy should  have saw the writing in the wall and replaced him after this game. Who knows maybe history is changed with a different kicker?

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I've told this  story before. September 30 1980. Was at this game.  Dad was in the Oncology ward at Mercy Hospital. Mom was visiting him all day the next day and I swung by to pick her up after work. Was telling him about the game. About  6:45 he said he was cold and sleepy as he really couldn't  sleep well the night before. So mom and I decided to go home and let him rest. Starts coughing up blood and was dead in a few minutes. The lung tumor was right alongside his trachea and he bled to death when  it ruptured.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AZSanta said:

Levy should  have saw the writing in the wall and replaced him after this game. Who knows maybe history is changed with a different kicker?

He was even much worse the following year late in the season against the Raiders. A couple missed XPs and a bunch of missed FGs from in close..

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2024 at 12:16 PM, BillsPride12 said:

There was a rule in place back then...a stupid one that they got rid of pretty quickly 

It was around longer than I thought. I think they officially got rid of it in 2006. So, it was around for more than a decade. But they didn't really enforce it much after a while.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

It was around longer than I thought. I think they officially got rid of it in 2006. So, it was around for more than a decade. But they didn't really enforce it much after a while.

Yeah I am surprised to hear this.  I thought the rule was taken out long before the 2000's lol.  But yeah sounds like it just became something they didn't enforce.  Outside of that Bills Broncos game I can't recall seeing another game offhand where this penalty was actually called. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.