Couldn't Haack it. Matt released.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I still can't believe Haack almost single handedly lost that Jets game a couple years ago.  I think he had a 7 and 12 yard punt.  This team deserves a better punter and kicker. Bass gets one more year to turn it around.  Take a peek at Coughlin from the UFL....93%.

Listen I don't think bass should be cozy..  he definitely needs to pick it up fast

But kicking at Ralph Wilson stadium is the hardest kicker job in the world..  statistically it is the hardest stadium to kick in 

You can't just plug in any old kicker... They need a certain skill set..  a plus plus leg 

It's not like kicking in Indianapolis or Dallas

They need to cut through the heaviest wind in the NFL

Edited by Buffalo716

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen I don't think bass should be cozy..  he definitely needs to pick it up fast

But kicking at Ralph Wilson stadium is the hardest kicker job in the world..  statistically it is the hardest stadium to kick in 

You can't just plug in any old kicker... They need a certain skill set..  a plus plus leg 

It's not like kicking in Indianapolis or Dallas

They need to cut through the heaviest wind in the NFL

Wind or no wind, Bass better start getting back to 82-85%.  Elliot didn't have a problem in the rain with that game winning 60 yarder. Viniteri going clutch in the snow.  I don't wanna hear the weather excuse train roll in again.  I don't even feel confident in Bass beyond 40 yards and neither does McD.  Like I said, he gets 1 more year to figure it out or he and his contract are gone. Every point is precious, especially with so many new offensive players.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen kicking in Buffalo is not easy..  it's the hardest professional stadium to kick in statistically 

That means the Buffalo kicker.. needs a plus plus leg... With plus accuracy... And can kick with wind in his face or cross...

It's the windiest stadium in the league... With consistently some of the worst weather 

It's not easy... I'm not giving Tyler bass a pass... He's paid to make the kicks

But it's not like kicking in Indianapolis... Tyler bass already has a natural fade in his kicking motion... His ball moves left to right..  which is why he lines up on the left hash mark for Pat's 

He's never been great on the right hash mark which is where he took the kick from versus the Chiefs... He needs to improve from the right hash mark 

And cut down on the fade a bit

I think Bass is probably toast. I praise the Bills kickers since SN11. It’s actually a bright spot in my Bills memory bank how surprising well they’ve done kickers. Completely understand the difficulties of the job. Bass’s stock fade is bad for his job. I think we have enough to cut losses and make something else happen. Even an old reliable type can be dependable at 50yds in January. I’d be interested in what’s available. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Wind or no wind, Bass better start getting back to 82-85%.  Elliot didn't have a problem in the rain with that game winning 60 yarder. Viniteri going clutch in the snow.  I don't wanna hear the weather excuse train roll in again.  I don't even feel confident in Bass beyond 40 yards and neither does McD.  Like I said, he gets 1 more year to figure it out or he and his contract are gone. Every point is precious, especially with so many new offensive players.

Listen I'm not making excuses for bass... I'm just saying how tough it is to kick in Buffalo as your home stadium 

I have lost faith in him... But he could have had an injury that affected him 

I don't even think he has a full season... If he starts with The yips they're going to go to somebody else... But I hope he gets it together

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Listen I'm not making excuses for bass... I'm just saying how tough it is to kick in Buffalo as your home stadium 

I have lost faith in him... But he could have had an injury that affected him 

I don't even think he has a full season... If he starts with The yips they're going to go to somebody else... But I hope he gets it together

Well we agree on 2 things. He definitely has the yips and unless he improves,  he's gone.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

According to the Bills web site, Haack had uniform #15.  Can't allow that to happen, they had to cut him.

The great Jack Kemp can rest in peace.

But Browning is wearing 30, which is not a good number for a punter.  Someone needs to fix this, pronto.

Nah, let’s go old school with a LB who also punts like Paul Maguire.

"Bogus brothers trying to play when they know they can't hack it...

cause they leg is trash like 8-ball jackets...

Now tell me I can't tear it up...

Go get some toilet paper cause you punt like butt"

I wonder what Beane says every time he calls Matt.

"Hey wanna get a little run up here for a few weeks?"

"Hey, you bored?"

"Hey, you know why I'm calling."

Text:

"Ready?"

On 6/1/2024 at 1:27 PM, JohnNord said:

The OTA reports were that the Bills were giving UDFA Jack Browning a lot of work holding with Bass and he was successful on all of his FG’s including a 70 yarder.  I think he has a legit chance to unseat Martin who faded badly last season and held during one of Bass’s worst seasons

yeah its all about the FG holding aspect, if Browning is a decent punter and a great holder that Bass has confidence in, he gets the job. 

I don't plan on punting much this season ! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

should have just kept Martin.

also this chaos at the P position by Beane the past 4 seasons proves punting doesn't matter.  

Martin is still on the team. For now. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

should have just kept Martin.

also this chaos at the P position by Beane the past 4 seasons proves punting doesn't matter.  

Martin's still on the team as it should be a competition between him and the undrafted rookie they signed in Jack Browning.  Why they signed Haack in the first place is perplexing.  My best guess is that as long as they could sign a punter who could compete after the draft (Browning) that proved he could hold during OTA's they were going to release Haack.  If not, it would be a Martin/Haack competition this summer.

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I can't believe, this journeyman punter with a noodle leg , for NFL standards 

Gets this much attention

Holding is one of the most overblown aspects that this board cares about lol

Yeah it's important but the skill to learn it is vastly overrated and people here think it's challenging...

People said Corey b sucked at holding... I went through every single hold over his multiple years here and he didn't have laces in more than eight times... Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of holds eight times laces were in...

I haven't gone through Sam Martin's.. but I can guarantee you he did not have laces in more than a few times... And it doesn't even impact the kick much

It messes up the kicker's mind... Which shows they are the feeble one 

Corey b went to the browns and their kicker says he's the best holder he ever had.. but he was trash according to this board 

See how easy it is to learn to hold? You can go from trash to the best a kickers ever had fairly quick 

Any athlete can learn the skill and it's not tough... There's never been a punter who is cut because of his holding skills LOL they cut you for shanking 12-yard punts

There is more than just laces out. Is it consistently on the correct spot( not in front of the spot or back of the or left or eight of it) , at the correct time, with the correct front to back lean and side to side angle.

Bj went to green bay before Cleveland and their kicker sucked eggs that year he was there.

It is much more than laces out.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

There is more than just laces out. Is it consistently on the correct spot( not in front of the spot or back of the or left or eight of it) , at the correct time, with the correct front to back lean and side to side angle.

Bj went to green bay before Cleveland and their kicker sucked eggs that year he was there.

It is much more than laces out.

Mason Crosby been on the decline when he got there .. he was an old kicker passed his prime and had rough years in his past

You're not answering my point... Cleveland's kicker said he's terrific... Nobody goes from bum to terrific in a year or two 

His holding struggles were overblown... He wasn't re signed because he called his own fake field goal and shank 22 yarders

No punter has ever been cut because of his holding skills... Because even the worst ones get it right the majority 

he had eight bad holds.. out of hundreds lol it's not rocket science...  It's the easiest job for a pro athlete 

And Mason Crosby fell off 

Edited by Buffalo716

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.