Couldn't Haack it. Matt released.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

the point stands..

If punting didn't matter, teams would just go with the cheapest guy every year, i.e. CFAs, much less not bother drafting them.  As for not being with the team long, I didn't realize his 2024 salary guaranteed in March.

1 hour ago, Nebillzfan said:

I think browning is going to be our punter this season.  We definitely are making a youth movement with the roster. It also daves us money 

See above.  We better hope his 34-1/2 year old leg holds up.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

If punting didn't matter, teams would just go with the cheapest guy every year, i.e. CFAs, much less not bother drafting them.  As for not being with the team long, I didn't realize his 2024 salary guaranteed in March.

See above.  We better hope his 34-1/2 year old leg holds up.

Punters may have an impact on bad teams (maybe).  Not on SB contenders.  Bills were #30 in Punts last season. 

Punters are the cheapest guy....there are onloy 3 getting over 3 million a year.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Punters may have an impact on bad teams (maybe).  Not on SB contenders.  Bills were #30 in Punts last season. 

Punters are the cheapest guy....there are onloy 3 getting over 3 million a year.

True they’re typically the cheapest guy. But several SB teams have drafted them, like the Ravens, Bucs and Bills off the top my head. 

Edited by Doc

On 6/1/2024 at 1:27 PM, JohnNord said:

The OTA reports were that the Bills were giving UDFA Jack Browning a lot of work holding with Bass and he was successful on all of his FG’s including a 70 yarder.  I think he has a legit chance to unseat Martin who faded badly last season and held during one of Bass’s worst seasons

First Bojo, now Haack....man, Bass really needs some special kind of holder, amirite?!

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

True they’re typically the cheapest guy. But several SB teams have drafted them, like the Ravens, Bucs and Bills off the top my head. 

Drafted Punters are even cheaper.

The Bills twice drafted a Punter in 35 years.   No Bills drafted Punter has punted for the Bills since the one who made the team in 1990...

On 6/1/2024 at 1:58 PM, Dan Darragh said:

According to the Bills web site, Haack had uniform #15.  Can't allow that to happen, they had to cut him.

The great Jack Kemp can rest in peace.

Todd Collins is upset with you. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Drafted Punters are even cheaper.

The Bills twice drafted a Punter in 35 years.   No Bills drafted Punter has punted for the Bills since the one who made the team in 1990...

Actually drafted punters aren't cheaper.  The Cheaters took a punter in the 6th round last year and he's averaging $1M/year.  Meanwhile Browning signed a deal averaging a little under $950K with the Bills, which he likely won't see because they're forced to stick with Martin.  Sure it's not a huge difference, but a drafted punter costs a draft pick that could be used on a non-"meaningless" position. 

And we know what happened with the last punter the Bills drafted.  He's now with the Chefs. 

Punting does matter even to good teams.  Now with that said, I wouldn't be spending more than $2M/year ($3M is crazy) on a punter unless he could coffin corner most punts inside the 5.

Edited by Doc

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Actually drafted punters aren't cheaper.  The Cheaters took a punter in the 6th round last year and he's averaging $1M/year.  Meanwhile Browning signed a deal averaging a little under $950K with the Bills, which he likely won't see because they're forced to stick with Martin.  Sure it's not a huge difference, but a drafted punter costs a draft pick that could be used on a non-"meaningless" position. 

And we know what happened with the last punter the Bills drafted.  He's now with the Chefs. 

Punting does matter even to good teams.  Now with that said, I wouldn't be spending more than $2M/year ($3M is crazy) on a punter unless he could coffin corner most punts inside the 5.

Browning is undrafted.  It really doesn't matter for good teams.  This is why they bounce around the league so much.  Only 11 have been drafted in the past 5 seasons.

The last Punter the Bills drafted is wearing his orange jump suit in KC--it's the official away uniform of that team. Should fit right in, no?

48 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I felt they let Martin go and brought Haack back because of holding for Bass.   So my guess is Haack is brought back, unless they think the rookie has it figured out with Bass.

With Martin‘s 2024 salary being guaranteed for this year, no way they’re bringing Haack back.

On 6/3/2024 at 7:45 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Punters aren’t going to win you any games. You just need them not to lose you any. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Punters aren’t going to win you any games. You just need them not to lose you any. 

Absent a blocked punt (usually not on the P), Punter would struggle to lose a game

4 hours ago, Doc said:

With Martin‘s 2024 salary being guaranteed for this year, no way they’re bringing Haack back.

For some reason I keep thinking Martin left in the off-season.  Thanks for the correction 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Absent a blocked punt (usually not on the P), Punter would struggle to lose a game

Not really. A bobbled or fumbled snap resulting in a block or failure to get a punt off (therefore on the punter), a shanked punt resulting in field position that gives opponent a score or a mishandled snap/hold on a FG/XP can all do it. Job 1 for a punter is avoiding those mistakes. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Martin has a cap hit of $2.05M cap hit with only $800k in dead money.

If they let Martin go for Browning, they save $400k in cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/player/_/id/12447/sam-martin

His $1.5M salary became guaranteed in March.  That plus his amortized SB means an almost $2M cap hit with just $100K in savings if cut now.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.