Gronkowski, Kelce, Graham, Ward - Why do fans want want a Randy Moss type?

Chaos

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It's not besides the point at all. Again, people are sleeping on the role that Kincaid/Knox and Cook/Davis will play in the offense moving forward. We are not replacing Diggs this year or next year. Bills will not have a WR on the team in the foreseeable future that commands 160+ targets per year. That is not the direction the offense wants to go. 

Both Diggs and Davis were phased out of the offense last year and the Bills turned the season around from a 5-5 start to a 6-1 finish with the one loss to the eagles in that 7 game stretch hardly falling on offensive issues.

Why are we making a big deal out of replacing two players that were phased out of the offense last year when the Bills went on their winning streak?

Perfect. How did it turn out for them in the playoffs? Pretty sure they still don’t have rings on their fingers. 

Just now, mrags said:

Perfect. How did it turn out for them in the playoffs? Pretty sure they still don’t have rings on their fingers. 

No offense but that response gets a huge eye roll. so what were their excuses in 2020, 2021 and 2022? No rings either. 

Bengals no rings with Chase, Higgins and Boyd.

Miami, zero division titles with Hill and Waddle.

No rings in Philly with those WR’s.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If the Bills are successful, maybe they will have the luxury they had in the 2020 season where Allen was not called on to carry a heavy load with his legs to end the 2020 season and the Bills went on a long winning streak. But as mentioned before, that 2020 season may never repeat itself again. Just as the 2018 and 2019 seasons for Mahomes and Jackson never repeated themselves to this point

do you think the “luxury” of 2020 had ANYTHING to do with the number of high quality receiving targets Allen had?

On 6/1/2024 at 11:04 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

Well......about that......

Diggs isn't going to the HOF......not with the numbers needed as an accumulator nowadays.  

And the recent Bills teams will be as forgotten as the Marty Chargers or Marvin Lewis Bengals if they don't somehow win a SB soon.

So ultimately Diggs will probably be remembered most for making one of the greatest plays in postseason history. :lol:

Diggs_TD_catch_slomo_awareness_.gif

Interesting thought about Diggs not going to the Hall of Fame.  

The WR position is interesting in today’s game compared w that of even 10 15 20 years ago.  A lot of catches today doesn’t mean nearly as much as what it used to be.  

How many catches would the WR’s on Air Coryell or the Greatest Show on Turf have today?   What about Andre Reed or Eric Moulds?  What about Jimmy Smith and Keenan McCardell?  The game doesn’t allow for nearly the physicality that it had in yesteryear.  Just a different game catching when the safety can’t come running across the field and try and knock you out as the ball is landing in your hands.  And the QB has to worry about being concussed on every drop back. 

Peter King said he voted for guys to get in the HOF who changed the game.  Not many do that today.  Mahomes.  Kelce.  Josh Allen. Maybe Justin Jefferson at some point.  Gronk.  Brady  Brees  Maybe Justin Tucker.  I wouldn’t put Lamar there.  Because Mike Vick did it all first.  And I would argue was at least as good and probably more exciting.  Aaron Rodgers.  Big Ben.  Maybe Derrick Henry.  Maybe Matt Stafford.  Aaron Donald. The punter from the Raiders and Texans who was drafted the same year as Janakowski.  (His name escapes me at the moment) Was tremendous.  Charles Woodson.  (Not many defenders from the modern game) Urlacher.  Always fun to argue about and discuss that.  I have always thought that Kent Hull should have gotten in the Hall.  But maybe I am. biased.  Great career. And a great guy.  

There are a lot of great athletes today.  But not many that transcend different eras of the game anymore. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

do you think the “luxury” of 2020 had ANYTHING to do with the number of high quality receiving targets Allen had?

I think it had many, many factors. That’s quite obvious as we know. A couple of those factors will not repeat themselves in our lifetimes. A QB taking the league by surprise and telling the league “here I am” only happens once. A global pandemic, once in a lifetime. 

They didn’t have quite the same level of success in 2021 with those receivers still on the roster. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

No offense but that response gets a huge eye roll. so what were their excuses in 2020, 2021 and 2022? No rings either. 

If you really think you’re better off having a bunch of Joes at WR then a top 10 guy then I don’t know what to tell you. There’s plenty of replies I could have made instead of what I did. But at the end of the day none of it makes a difference. In the end plenty of people were angry that Diggs dropped that pass last year which could have won us the game. Instead we want to replace him with a bunch of joes that aren’t even as good. And I’m perfectly fine getting rid of Diggs. But the fact is they are trying to replace hundreds of targets from last year with a has been head case, a guy that drops more balls than Davis, and a completely unknown rookie. Adding more young talent is not and wouldn’t have been a bad thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

If you really think you’re better off having a bunch of Joes at WR then a top 10 guy then I don’t know what to tell you. There’s plenty of replies I could have made instead of what I did. But at the end of the day none of it makes a difference. In the end plenty of people were angry that Diggs dropped that pass last year which could have won us the game. Instead we want to replace him with a bunch of joes that aren’t even as good. And I’m perfectly fine getting rid of Diggs. But the fact is they are trying to replace hundreds of targets from last year with a has been head case, a guy that drops more balls than Davis, and a completely unknown rookie. Adding more young talent is not and wouldn’t have been a bad thing. 

My opinion is that Kincaid, Shakir and Coleman are all “young talent” being added to the passing game with expanding and emerging roles. That’s 3 players when only what 4 or at most 5 can be on the same field at the same time. How many young guys do we need? Do they all need to be “young talent” guys?

Bills have invested their first two picks in the last two drafts into receivers. 

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

Partly thanks to our elite star WR1 failing to do what he was paid 22M to do.  Catch the dam ball.  Partly due to not being able to stop KCs offense with a depleted defense.

If we added a legit WR1 and he were injured and didn’t play in the playoffs would it still be Beanes fault for not adding more WRs?

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The Bengals and Philly both had leads late in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. Are you really trying to say the WR’s they have are more of a reason why they didn’t win the Super Bowl vs a reason why they got there? 

Who cares about the Dolphins, horrendous QB play, inability to beat any quality teams.

I’m not trying to argue either side but these examples don’t tell us anything. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Partly thanks to our elite star WR1 failing to do what he was paid 22M to do.  Catch the dam ball.  Partly due to not being able to stop KCs offense with a depleted defense.

If we added a legit WR1 and he were injured and didn’t play in the playoffs would it still be Beanes fault for not adding more WRs?

Adding more receivers would multiply the chances of actually finding one that wouldn’t drop balls in their hands with the game on the line that’s for sure 

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

The Bengals and Philly both had leads late in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. Are you really trying to say the WR’s they have are more of a reason why they didn’t win the Super Bowl vs a reason why they got there? 

Who cares about the Dolphins, horrendous QB play, inability to beat any quality teams.

I’m not trying to argue either side but these examples don’t tell us anything. 

I agree. I am pointing out how ridiculous Mr. rags claim of not winning a ring last year (but we did the previous years???) was. That our inability to win a ring with phasing diggs and Davis out somehow draws a conclusion worth while. 

many factors go into winning a ring. To put it all on one specific thing as he did is a bit ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Do you want to win or have a neat passing offense like Miami and end the season on a losing streak?

This is getting dangerously close to outright saying "having a talented passing offense is bad." It's not a dichotomy. You can win and also have elite pass catching talent - you know this, right?

You keep pointing to 2020 as a "luxury year." There was a pretty stark difference in how the 2020 offense was built. You can try to talk around that difference but it's clear as day.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

Adding more receivers would multiply the chances of actually finding one that wouldn’t drop balls in their hands with the game on the line that’s for sure 

assuming they can get on the field right? Who are you taking off the roster? 

kincaid and shakir all had great catch rates. The plan is to give them larger roles in the offense. 

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

My opinion is that Kincaid, Shakir and Coleman are all “young talent” being added to the passing game with expanding and emerging roles. That’s 3 players when only what 4 or at most 5 can be on the same field at the same time. How many young guys do we need? Do they all need to be “young talent” guys?

Bills have invested their first two picks in the last two drafts into receivers. 

Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t keep trying to look for better. 

again, the Bills themselves admitted their desire for new WRs. They not only drafted one early in the draft. They picked up Samuel, Hollins, MVS, and Claypool. They have proven they are looking to find new WRs. Regardless of your assumption that Kincaid, Shakir get more targets. And don’t get me started on Coleman. He may be done. He might be an all-pro after the first season. But he might also be a bust. Truth is we don’t know for sure. 

hell, 2 years ago we drafted Elam in the first rd and Benford in the 5th or 6th. And Benford is clearly better. They don’t take any chances 2 years ago when they needed CB but they did this year with the WR position. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We want a randy moss type because he's one of the best WRs ever and you want those kinds of players on your team

Right?!? And anyone that wouldn’t want one because they would prefer 5 Joes at WR make me lol 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We want a randy moss type because he's one of the best WRs ever and you want those kinds of players on your team

If you follow some of these arguments to their logical conclusion you end up at "elite WRs make it less likely you will win a Super Bowl."

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

kincaid and shakir all had great catch rates. The plan is to give them larger roles in the offense. 

So if you had a chance to get someone better in the draft you wouldn’t play them because the plan is to get Shakir more catches. Got it. Lol

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

😂😂Shakir was the 66th wideout in the league last season, why are you pretending he absolutely needs to be on the field above anyone else?

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If you follow some of these arguments to their logical conclusion you end up at "elite WRs make it less likely you will win a Super Bowl."

That’s what they believe. Yes. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

😂😂Shakir was the 66th wideout in the league last season, why are you pretending he absolutely needs to be on the field above anyone else?

It’s useless 808. They’ll never get it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.