Bills sign Gable Steveson

3 hours ago, McBean said:

Aaron Donald 2.0.

Nice find SEAN!

Loooove it.

I'll let others discuss whether Steveson is deserving of this opportunity.

I'm more interested in finding out whether one of the greatest wrestlers of all time has the ability to play NFL football after having never played organized football at any level.

It's really quite an intriguing experiment. His height is similar to Donald though Donald was listed at 285 and Steveson is listed lighter than that.

I'd really love to know his measurables... particularly his arm length.

If I had to guess I'd say he never plays in a regular season NFL game... but hopefully this is a fun diversion from the usual offseason story lines and I'd love if he proved me wrong.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

And the roster of Jags outside of Allen continues 

He's a developmental camp prospect. It's not like we had the option to sign someone who's never played Football before or we sign a Pro Bowler, and they went with Steveson over the Pro Bowler. It's like complaining about signing Undrafted Free Agents.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/1/2024 at 3:05 AM, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

I like the fact that we're leaving no stone unturned to find talent.

Stephen Neal was a NCAA championship wrestler who went from never playing football to an excellent starting guard and 3X Superbowl champion with the Patriots.

It's a low-risk high reward bet.

Neal didn't play in college, but he played in high school. Still an amazing story, though.

This thing with Steveson should be fun. Who knows? Maybe he'll make it worthwhile.

5 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

And the roster of Jags outside of Allen continues 

Milano's a JAG? Diggs was a JAG? Kincaid is a JAG? Hyde and Poyer? Tre White? Oliver? Douglas? Dawkins?

That's just stupid.

Nor do you know Steveson will be a JAG. It's possible. He might never be good enough to be a JAG. But he might be good. Hell, he might be terrific. Paying him practice squad money to find out isn't a bad idea or a misuse of resources at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 1:59 PM, HappyDays said:

That's two players at training camp that have never played the sport before. Pretty weird but alright.

In fact I'd bet anything he's coming to camp because he's a gold medal winner and McDermott thinks the team can learn something from that.

Desperate times call for desperate measures…

The best you could possibly hope for, with this guy, is that he has a red shirt year or two on the practice squad while he learns the game of football…That is, of course, if he is even worthy enough to earn a spot…😉

Edited by JaCrispy

On 6/1/2024 at 10:08 AM, Gugny said:

The article you quoted states that the Bills should be "ashamed" of having signed Steveson. The basis for that claim is a single incident. A woman got drunk and had sex with Steveson and another wrestler. She later sought to press rape charges, but was unable to do so. Her argument was that she was too drunk to give consent, therefore making it rape. She was unable to press rape charges because it had been her own choice to get drunk. The article used the word "awful" to describe the law which prevented her from filing rape charges.

Before deciding whether we should agree or disagree with the reporter's opinions, let me ask you this question. Should people be held responsible for the actions they take, while drunk? For example, imagine a really strong guy who's an angry drunk. If he has a lot of alcohol, he'll get into fights, and often send other men to the hospital. Do we say, "He was drunk, and so not responsible for his actions." Or, do we say, "Dude. You need to cut this out. If that means don't get drunk any more, then don't get drunk."

For the second example, imagine a woman. She knows that when she gets drunk, she'll have sex with guys she wouldn't have had sex with, had she been sober. Knowing this, she chooses to get drunk while in the company of men she finds attractive. She has sex with these men. Then presses rape charges afterwards. If she pressed rape charges against a man, that man's good name might later be dragged through the mud, by media outlets such as USA Today. 

So which would you rather have? Would you rather be sent to the hospital by the angry drunk? Or would you rather have criminal charges filed against you, and your good name attacked by the national media? Why do we want the people in either of these examples to keep getting drunk? Why not have them both stay sober, so that other people don't get hurt?

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

I think you are making assumptions about the female that you have no way of knowing.

What if said girl wasn't a heavy drinker and she happened to get drunk and lose inhibitions, even flirt with men having a good time.

What if she WAS promiscuous, or even a Prostitute.  Is your stance that even such a woman as that, a slut cannot be raped?

It seems tto me hat the responsibility of who forces who to have sex is the issue. Her consent? Are you thinking she wanted it? asked for it by being drunk? OH HOW DARE SHE DRINK in front of horny men. she was asking for it. Maybe she was unable to consent being blacked out. Shouldn't;t have been drinking though. How dare her

SMH

Lord have mercy. 

Nope. Not what I was saying. I was addressing the specific issue of a woman giving her consent in the moment. Then she withdraws consent after the fact and presses rape charges. Her argument is that she was drunk, and therefore her consent didn't count.

If a woman doesn't give consent, and a man has sex with her anyway, then that's rape. Period. End of story.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Nope. Not what I was saying. I was addressing the specific issue of a woman giving her consent in the moment. Then she withdraws consent after the fact and presses rape charges. Her argument is that she was drunk, and therefore her consent didn't count.

If a woman doesn't give consent, and a man has sex with her anyway, then that's rape. Period. End of story.

Not that it didn't count, that it never existed

Many jurisdictions will hold that you cannot obtain consent from an intoxicated person, similar to how a contract signed under equivalent conditions would likely be unenforceable 

24 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not that it didn't count, that it never existed

Many jurisdictions will hold that you cannot obtain consent from an intoxicated person, similar to how a contract signed under equivalent conditions would likely be unenforceable 

Let's say a car salesman gets someone drunk. Then he gets them to buy an overpriced car they didn't need. Later, the contract is declared null and void. That's just putting things back to the way they were, except that some of the car salesman's time has been wasted. That's the outcome which does the least harm, and the person who's getting what little harm there is (car salesman) is also the one most at fault.

Now let's say a woman acts as described in my earlier example. She knows that if she's drunk she's more likely to have sex with some random guy. She routinely gets drunk around guys she's attracted to. Sometimes she has sex with one of them. If she feels bad about it the next morning, she presses rape charges. That makes it someone else's fault. She was not the one to blame. A man's life is now ruined. But the woman was not to blame. She should continue doing what she's doing.

We live in a culture where women are often told it's completely acceptable for them to act this way. But is that the message we should really be sending to women? Do we really want our legal system to uphold and enable this type of behavior? If a woman is going to feel bad about having drunken sex with men, then maybe she should control her drinking when she's around men?

19 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I'll let others discuss whether Steveson is deserving of this opportunity.

I'm more interested in finding out whether one of the greatest wrestlers of all time has the ability to play NFL football after having never played organized football at any level.

It's really quite an intriguing experiment. His height is similar to Donald though Donald was listed at 285 and Steveson is listed lighter than that.

I'd really love to know his measurables... particularly his arm length.

If I had to guess I'd say he never plays in a regular season NFL game... but hopefully this is a fun diversion from the usual offseason story lines and I'd love if he proved me wrong.

Egads... I see in today's Buffalo News that they're now saying he's 5'11"

I really hope he has LONG ARMS...

2 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

The article you quoted states that the Bills should be "ashamed" of having signed Steveson. The basis for that claim is a single incident. A woman got drunk and had sex with Steveson and another wrestler. She later sought to press rape charges, but was unable to do so. Her argument was that she was too drunk to give consent, therefore making it rape. She was unable to press rape charges because it had been her own choice to get drunk. The article used the word "awful" to describe the law which prevented her from filing rape charges.

Before deciding whether we should agree or disagree with the reporter's opinions, let me ask you this question. Should people be held responsible for the actions they take, while drunk? For example, imagine a really strong guy who's an angry drunk. If he has a lot of alcohol, he'll get into fights, and often send other men to the hospital. Do we say, "He was drunk, and so not responsible for his actions." Or, do we say, "Dude. You need to cut this out. If that means don't get drunk any more, then don't get drunk."

For the second example, imagine a woman. She knows that when she gets drunk, she'll have sex with guys she wouldn't have had sex with, had she been sober. Knowing this, she chooses to get drunk while in the company of men she finds attractive. She has sex with these men. Then presses rape charges afterwards. If she pressed rape charges against a man, that man's good name might later be dragged through the mud, by media outlets such as USA Today. 

So which would you rather have? Would you rather be sent to the hospital by the angry drunk? Or would you rather have criminal charges filed against you, and your good name attacked by the national media? Why do we want the people in either of these examples to keep getting drunk? Why not have them both stay sober, so that other people don't get hurt?

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I think you are making assumptions about the female that you have no way of knowing.

What if said girl wasn't a heavy drinker and she happened to get drunk and lose inhibitions, even flirt with men having a good time.

What if she WAS promiscuous, or even a Prostitute.  Is your stance that even such a woman as that, a slut cannot be raped?

It seems tto me hat the responsibility of who forces who to have sex is the issue. Her consent? Are you thinking she wanted it? asked for it by being drunk? OH HOW DARE SHE DRINK in front of horny men. she was asking for it. Maybe she was unable to consent being blacked out. Shouldn't;t have been drinking though. How dare her

SMH

Lord have mercy. 

I'd like to boil it down to the original question that @Rampant Buffalo asked?

Should a person who is drunk be held responsible for their actions?... or put differently does being drunk absolve a person of responsibility for their actions?

I think that's a very interesting question.

Some people have the strength of character to give up drinking because they cannot deny that it brings out something in them that shouldn't be brought out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Egads... I see in today's Buffalo News that they're now saying he's 5'11"

I really hope he has LONG ARMS...

I'd like to boil it down to the original question that @Rampant Buffalo asked?

Should a person who is drunk be held responsible for their actions?... or put differently does being drunk absolve a person of responsibility for their actions?

I think that's a very interesting question.

Some people have the strength of character to give up drinking because they cannot deny that it brings out something in them that shouldn't be brought out.

the thread has gone away from  the sports tangent so I will bow out after this reply. A person who is drunk of course can be held accountable for her actions and if appropo charges like Drunk in Public, drunk and disorderly, DUI etc. The common denominator there is alcohol. People are responsible for how much they drink and ramifications of that may mean charges, a bad hangover, a bad headache.  etc.  a person (man or woman) who decides drinking is not for them for any number of valid reasons is great. 

women who yell rape and weren't  raped are as despicable as a rapist. Scum of the earth type crime for the mere accusation taints a person wether truly innocent Or guilty. False claims make legitament ones suffer.

But this doubling down focus on her drinking sways focus away from a sexual incident it still placing blame and guilt on the person assaulted. Women can be evil and so can men bottom line.

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.