Bills sign Gable Steveson

59 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Chris Hogan. Lax, played on two winning Super Bowl teams. 

LOL…after lax he played 3 years of college football

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I never said it's a high percentage chance of working out 

But having five people on active rosters in a program that's only been around for 7 years... 

I didn't even think that was possible so yes to me 5 in 7 years is a good amount.. not a high probability but they are out there 

Again you're not training a athlete to go to the NHL at 25 years old and he's never played ... But world class athletes have picked up football 

There is precedence

But yes I never thought they'd get five players on game day rosters this quick... That's actually good amount for a new program imo

It will be a lot more successful in 15 years as well

I think it's a good start to the program and shows that it's possible

I don’t know… I don’t think there’s as much of a chance or a precedence that you do - especially trying to win a PS squad on the DT with the Bills.   But we’ll see

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t know… I don’t think there’s as much of a chance or a precedence that you do - especially trying to win a PS squad on the DT with the Bills.   But we’ll see

I like that the bills really are leaving no stone unturned 

Even if there's a 99% chance this doesn't work out.. I like that they are looking at all avenues

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

And I believe Hogan played one year of college football at Monmouth 

But your point stands that he was in a division one program 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That's two players at training camp that have never played the sport before. Pretty weird but alright.

In fact I'd bet anything he's coming to camp because he's a gold medal winner and McDermott thinks the team can learn something from that.

One difference between the 2 is Bob Hayes played football at Florida A&M.  He was already a football player.

Don't see this guy having a chance to make the 53.  Maybe not even the PS.

He is an amazing athlete and maybe, just maybe he brings in a working example of techniques that could be useful to other players.

Laugh all you want, but McDermott has been talking to players about this stuff for years.

If he is lost in practice, they will move on to someone else.  The "outcry" about this is laughable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Jordan Mailata just signed a 3 year, 66m contract extension with the Philadelphia Eagles.

He had zero NFL experience and entered the league from Rugby. He's now a top paid, top performing Left Tackle in the NFL.

Is that common? No. But you never know what you're going to get when you bet on athleticism. The Eagles and Eagles fans are sure glad they took a chance on an athletic guy with no experience.

I can't imagine getting upset over signing a Camp Body. It has absolutely no bearing on anything. You act as though we would have acquired a Pro Bowl player at another position if we hadn't brought him in. It doesn't preclude any other signing. We just traded out a guy who had no shot at making the roster for someone who most likely wont. 

It's no risk, no guarantees, all reward.

Do you know how many years it took?  Or was one off-season good enough? 

7 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Hey so uh, he only beat a rape charge on a technicality - a technicality that Minnesota changed in 2021 specifically because of his case. Might be some lurking character concerns. 

https://apnews.com/general-news-1221944d273eb2cdb0d285de3d665b3f

I saw a USA Today article about that.  The technicality was that Minnesota law stated that if the woman was drunk by her own consent, she could not accuse the men of rape.  It was a stupid law and Minnesota struck it down two years later.  My reaction is to ask, "Who is Gabe Steveson now?  Is he the same person now that he was 5 years ago?  It was a cruel, stupid and criminal thing that Steveson did five years ago and the law that allowed him to get away with it was stupid and wrong.  However, I don't think it is the job of the NFL to rectify the shortcomings of a bad state law.  I don't like to see any team sign scumbag players, but neither do I want to continue to punish players whose character may have changed since they did the terrible thing they were accused of doing.  I think I have to trust my Bills to do their due diligence and look into the current character of the players they keep on and add to their roster, and make the right decision on an individual basis.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mrags said:

He could have one leg and the other could be gimpy, if he’s a wrestler, McDermott will find him a home and he'd still be faster than Coleman.

There. That's what I'd expected you to write.

Edited by Rampant Buffalo
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I find these signings to be pretty troubling. Doesn’t this mean that they also have to release someone? So a young man who’s devoted his life to playing football and gets his shot on an NFL roster is told he has to go home because the Bills have decided to give his spot to a novelty dude who’s never played the game? Sad. 

Yup. If you're not gonna good enough someone wants to see what a world class athlete can do with your spot. 

Edited by That's No Moon

People are debating if he can become an NFL starter. How about you argue if he can be more than Kameron Cline or Kendal Vickers, two players on our practice squad you can't name or make comparisons with because you didn't know they exist. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm sorry but I view this as a distraction from the task at hand.  Steveson is clearly a powerful man with good awareness of leverage and positioning, but there are a thousand things to know about playing any position in the NFL, and he doesn't know any of them.  

Maybe this is just a squirrel for reporters to chase, instead of asking endless repetitive questions about experience at WR or whether McDermott or Babich will call defensive plays.  

34 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

People are debating if he can become an NFL starter. How about you argue if he can be more than Kameron Cline or Kendal Vickers, two players on our practice squad you can't name or make comparisons with because you didn't know they exist. 

Kendal Vickers isn't on the team anymore.

You're not asking a great athlete who never played football before to play a "skill" position (i.e. RB, QB, WR, CB) you're asking him to play DT. "Get past that big guy, ok you did that. Now swing left behind your teammate and get past that guy etc., etc." It won't be from physicalness that he doesn't make it, it will be mental. How quickly can he learn to follow the defensive calls and then eventually, how quickly can he learn to adapt to the changes when all goes to hell and he needs to adapt to what is going on to make a play. Some great athletes are great because they are coachable and hopefully he is that type. IMO, hard for anyone sane to poo poo this signing when who we are dropping is a punter that would not have made the team anyway. Why not take a minor risk and see what the guy can mentally understand and do when given a chance. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Can he avoid holding?  It’s probably instinctive at this point.

You can use hands without holding... First it's technique.....

You're allowed to get inside and under your opponent shoulder pads and use it as leverage... Wrestlers are Masters at leverage...

Anything outside the pads will get a flag... If you're inside and under the pads... You're allowed to grab and control all you want , they won't throw a flag 

So he needs to get coached on using his leverage to get under the shoulder pads instead of around them... To where he can use his explosiveness and grappling and move people around like a steering wheel... Once you get that leverage inside the shoulder pads you're the driver

If you get your hands inside... You control the other person and they won't throw a flag

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

I'm sorry but I view this as a distraction from the task at hand.  Steveson is clearly a powerful man with good awareness of leverage and positioning, but there are a thousand things to know about playing any position in the NFL, and he doesn't know any of them.  

Maybe this is just a squirrel for reporters to chase, instead of asking endless repetitive questions about experience at WR or whether McDermott or Babich will call defensive plays.  

It's also a squirrel for us to chase, considering we've just spent 10 pages discussing a player unlikely to make the final roster.

Let's say you were to take the brain of an elite DL, and put it into Steveson's body. How well do you think he'd do? If you like the answer to that question, then ask yourself this: does Steveson have time to learn a sufficient amount of that elite DL's skill set, before he washes out of the NFL? Probably not? Okay, well in that case what can be done to shorten his learning curve?

Undersized, athletic DL. So you think, situational pass rusher. Great. If he can focus 90% of his learning just on that one thing, maybe he shows enough to at least make the practice squad. That keeps his NFL career alive, and gives him the time he needs to keep learning the position.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.