Bills sign Gable Steveson

I’m glad we’re trying him out.  Never underestimate a top notch wrestler.  I was when young and you have to have incredible balance,  and excellent hand maneuvers.  Power is a bi-product.  He might make the PS, but so what.  Of he turns into something, maybe in 1-2 years he makes the starting roster.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Roundybout said:

It’s a legit concern, especially if Minnesota changed its laws specifically because of his case. 

It’s Matt Haack tho

The fact that YOU went digging for this so YOU could post it certainly said something about someone.  

17 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Lack of evidence isn't a technicality

It is when this is considered a "lack of evidence".  

"Freeman also hinted that alcohol may have been involved, saying that under Minnesota’s current laws on intoxication and a victim’s ability to give consent, his office was restricted in how it could bring charges in the case.

In neighboring Wisconsin, Freeman said, prosecutors have broad discretion to charge suspects who know or should know that someone’s alcohol consumption can impair his or her ability to give consent. He said he and others have pushed Minnesota lawmakers to pass similar legislation but have been unsuccessful so far."

Three things and I am gonna move on from the thread:

- regrading the rape charges, none of us should be playing morality police here…we should have learned our lesson. The Bills take that kind of thing seriously, so if they’re good, we should be good.

- regarding never playing football or defensive line…let’s not make it out to be rocket science. It’s defensive line. That’s where every coach puts the big dumb guys. Most of what you learn playing defensive line beyond the basic rules of football is how to whip the man across from you…pretty much the same thing you learn in wrestling. 

The reason there aren’t more wrestlers in football is because most of them aren’t big enough to play on the line. And to those that say it hasn’t happened very often in the past, most guys who dedicate their life to a sport to the point where they win a gold medal aren’t only 24 when they decide to move on. More like 34. It’s rare that an elite AND accomplished athlete changes sports at such a young age.

- lastly, I find this whole thing ironic. Not more than a month ago, quite a few people on this board were talking about how they could scout players better than pro scouts and Beane EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER WERE PRO SCOUTS. Whole threads about how experience doesn’t really matter. Unless you are a DL, apparently…then you need years of experience tackling dummies in pads.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Mikey152 said:

Three things and I am gonna move on from the thread:

- regrading the rape charges, none of us should be playing morality police here…we should have learned our lesson. The Bills take that kind of thing seriously, so if they’re good, we should be good.

- regarding never playing football or defensive line…let’s not make it out to be rocket science. It’s defensive line. That’s where every coach puts the big dumb guys. Most of what you learn playing defensive line beyond the basic rules of football is how to whip the man across from you…pretty much the same thing you learn in wrestling. 

The reason there aren’t more wrestlers in football is because most of them aren’t big enough to play on the line. And to those that say it hasn’t happened very often in the past, most guys who dedicate their life to a sport to the point where they win a gold medal aren’t only 24 when they decide to move on. More like 34. It’s rare that an elite AND accomplished athlete changes sports at such a young age.

- lastly, I find this whole thing ironic. Not more than a month ago, quite a few people on this board were talking about how they could scout players better than pro scouts and Beane EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER WERE PRO SCOUTS. Whole threads about how experience doesn’t really matter. Unless you are a DL, apparently…then you need years of experience tackling dummies in pads.

But how Dom they know if he's dumb enough??  Did they do an IQ test?  

So....a couple of posters claiming they could be pro scouts is your argument that this guy could be an NFL D lineman?

I love everything about your post

8 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

Gable sounds great, wrestlers are badass, but 260 lbs seems a touch light. I'm sure he is camp fodder but sure would be cool to see a little guy at DT.

260 some say 275.  Either way he is a tweaner.  These NFL wrestlers were also much larger humans.  You make significantly more money in the NFL than wrestling at an Olympic level.  Something kept him from playing in high school.  Longest of long odds.  The brit Clayton?  He has a better chance imo.  His athletic profile matches the elites at the OT position.  Steveson does not really match anything.  If he adds 25 to 30 pds how much of his athleticism is diminished?

20 hours ago, Dunkirk Donski said:

Stevenson's athleticism is off the charts, the only thing possibly holding him back is height.  I'm a huge fan of this. 

The only thing holding him back is he doesn’t know how to play football. How insulting is it to these offensive linemen and offensive coaches to think a guy that knows nothing about the technical side of the game is going to just line up and be effective. He isn’t even big. It’s not like the guy is 6’7 320lbs or something. Like freak size where you might say just go run through a guy. He’s small for a Dlineman. If you are going to go outside the box with some freak athlete, put him at a position where he can do something unique with the ball in his hands or something. The guy is going to get blended into the scenery.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I find these signings to be pretty troubling. Doesn’t this mean that they also have to release someone? So a young man who’s devoted his life to playing football and gets his shot on an NFL roster is told he has to go home because the Bills have decided to give his spot to a novelty dude who’s never played the game? Sad. 

Your thoughts show empathy towards  guys being cut who devoted their lives  to football. Being cut from an NFL roster happens every season with such fellows as you describe. I totally understand the sentiment. Which is why those decisions are so difficult. 

The truth of it though is the NFL is a business first. They are in the business of winning football games.And a low risk high reward signing of an exceptional athlete does not surprise me.

working your entire life for a goal, and then ends sucks no matter who it is. 

root for the laundry. Root for championships. Root for the TEAM. Rooting for guys with questionable character issues from his past meh not so much.

Edited by muppy

3 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

The fact that YOU went digging for this so YOU could post it certainly said something about someone.  

Did we cut him yet?  Round Human can get all the credit.

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You and round boot can split the street cred 50/50.

1 minute ago, muppy said:

Your thoughts show empathy towards  guys being cut who devoted their lives  to football. Being cut from an NFL roster happens every season with such fellows as you describe. I totally understand the sentiment. Which is why those decisions are so difficult. 

The truth of it though is the NFL is a business first. They are in the business of winning football games.And a low risk high reward signing of an exceptional athlete does not surprise me.

working your entire life for a goal, and then ends sucks no matter who it is. 

root for the laundry. Root for championships. Root for the TEAM. Rooting for guys with questionable character issues from his past meh not so much.

I’m not actually referring to those that have been cut. I’m referring to those players that never got a chance to compete. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of college football players that don’t get drafted. They all put in the time. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not actually referring to those that have been cut. I’m referring to those players that never got a chance to compete. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of college football players that don’t get drafted. They all put in the time. 

okay I see. Guys who don't have gold medal credentials who focused on football not getting their shot. Well it isn't like they couldn't  be pursued by a different team. NFL athletes are all the cream of the football crop. And the cream Will rise to the top. Or they didn't get to their goal for reasons like injury, health.. Thank you for the clarification

13 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't see this guy having a chance to make the 53.  Maybe not even the PS.

He is an amazing athlete and maybe, just maybe he brings in a working example of techniques that could be useful to other players.

Laugh all you want, but McDermott has been talking to players about this stuff for years.

If he is lost in practice, they will move on to someone else.  The "outcry" about this is laughable.

it is SO the off-season. A signing like this is at least interesting chat fodder.  How he will perform is unknown. The elite skills make the guy like a unicorn really.

Or a low cost bust. As I already stated let the cream rise to the top. And the experts will decide if he is worthy of an NFL career. LOFTY Goal. Film at 11 

• Like (+1) 1

A great many hilarious takes here for a guy who is now 91st on the offseason roster.  The downside is zero.  The upside is he shows enough to make the practice squad.  Ho hum.  Of course we did have to cut the third punter.  

On 5/31/2024 at 11:05 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

Does this mean fans will start wearing singlets to the games?

Who here would still look good in one?

Don't body shame, we all would look fabulous!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.