Bills sign Gable Steveson

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Brandon Beane: Hey coach. I've found this guy who has never played football.

McD: Sounds terrible Brandon.

Brandon Beane: Yes. But... he was a wrestler.

McD:  ...

CTkv.gif

There are a good amount of instances of people who didn't play football and we're good enough athletes to learn the sport 

You're never getting a quarterback who is new to the position...

But you can get it defensive tackle or defensive end... Belichick drafted a lineman who was a wrestler and never played football 

Ended up winning three super bowls with the Patriots

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I think he will be able to move OT's around with his hands and techniques.

Maybe guards.  The length and size of OTs are something he hasn't ever experienced.     

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Maybe guards.  The length and size of OTs are something he hasn't ever experienced.     

Yea, too small to be a defensive end... But wrestlers have great leverage 

he might be something in a pass rushing package as a defensive tackle

1 hour ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

An Olympic gold medalist signed to play defensive line? I'd like to hear @mrags thoughts on how Stevenson's 40 time compares to Coleman's.

He’s slower than Coleman but because he wrestled he holds more weight with McClappy 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

I like the fact that we're leaving no stone unturned to find talent.

Stephen Neal was a NCAA championship wrestler who went from never playing football to an excellent starting guard and 3X Superbowl champion with the Patriots.

It's a low-risk high reward bet.

A freakish Brit rugby player, a pro lacrosse player (former MVP), and a former gold medal wrestler.    I love it!  

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There’s almost nothing I understand less than signing a guy to play football (at this level) who hasn’t played before. There are prob 2k fringe NFL level players that are available that have a lifetime of football experience…..this is a move you make in a lower tier league. I just hate doing stuff like this. What’s the best case scenario? Just a waste of a roster spot. 

This guy is a high end athlete with quickness that will give him and advantage.  He has a Master’s degree in understanding leverage.  Long-shot yes, but not out of the question that he becomes a NFL player in a year.

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

He’s slower than Coleman but because he wrestled he holds more weight with McClappy 

I read your post 15 times, and it still said the same thing. That he's slower than Coleman! 😮 Do I need to get my eyes checked, or am I hallucinating, or what's going on here?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

0 chance he makes the roster but interesting to say the least 

You're probably right. But we generally keep 5 DT's. Ed Oliver, Daquan Jones, Dewayne Carter, and Austin Johnson are locks. But for the last spot, it's Dashawn Williams, Eli Ankou, UDFA Branson Deen, and him. It'll probably be Williams, but he only has 15k in guaranteed money. So if Steveson was able to translate his freak athleticism at an accelerated rate - it wouldn't be completely unheard of for him to take that last spot, as there's no real guaranteed money locked in to DT5.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Hey so uh, he only beat a rape charge on a technicality - a technicality that Minnesota changed in 2021 specifically because of his case. Might be some lurking character concerns. 

https://apnews.com/general-news-1221944d273eb2cdb0d285de3d665b3f

It will be interesting to see how many get bent out of shape, as they did for the recent, more publicized incident.

It's funny, when the other 31 teams make signing like this, TSW cries about other teams playing 4D chess and Beane not thinking outside of the box. Then when Bills make signing like this, TSW cries about Beane wasting time and resource on the player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mollymalonesmafia said:

Might as sign kaepernick while we are at it

I never understand the uproar of signing a Camp Body who most likely has a ceiling of the Practice Squad. It's just a lottery ticket, gambling on his literal Olympic winning athleticism. It's not like signing someone like Steveson keeps us from signing a difference maker at any position. It doesn't have any barring on any other acquisition. Like, who cares? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

This guy is a high end athlete with quickness that will give him and advantage.  He has a Master’s degree in understanding leverage.  Long-shot yes, but not out of the question that he becomes a NFL player in a year.

And you have ZERO issues with his rape allegation. Am I correct?

I've known a couple national champion wrestlers.  The explosion and quickness in tight spaces should translate, and every wrestler understands leverage.  Stephen Neal [Pats] started on a SB winner, has a world championship & 2 NCAA D-I titles in wrestling, Jim Nance [Pats] and Curley Culp [Chiefs] were national champion wrestlers who were NFL standouts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.