Bills sign Gable Steveson

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Not for nothing 

https://www.statecollege.com/articles/local-news/watch-bo-nickal-micah-parsons-and-others-run-hills-with-logs-and-struggle/

Watch Micah Parsons get made to look a fool by PSU wrestlers. I mean I get it - wrestlers are just different. I dunno how this turns out, but this dude is gonna make some folks look silly in some of the workouts and maybe even the field 

And football is wrestling? Oh wait a minute….no it isn’t. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And football is wrestling? Oh wait a minute….no it isn’t. 

what exactly is the risk here? Are you worried about player #90 on the camp roster?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Cool story but Brock Lesnar, as massive and strong as he was and also an Olympic level wrestler didn't make it with the Vikings.  Football leverage is different.  

I don't see anything coming from this but maybe this guy is different.

I believe the Vikings were impressed with Brock.. wanted to send him to NFL Europe to get more experience 

Which Brock did not want to do

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

what exactly is the risk here? Are you worried about player #90 on the camp roster?

Worried…no. I just think it’s sad for another young man and his family who put hours of work in for many years. There are a very finite number of spots available. 

You get 90 guys and you know 15-20 of them essentially have zero shot to make the team. You might as well fill those spaces with insane athletic talent and see if you get surprised. 

The Bills have a whole lot of lotto ticket players at camp and if 1-2 of them hit Beane will end up looking like a genius. 

Zero risk, so go for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Worried…no. I just think it’s sad for another young man and his family who put hours of work in for many years. There are a very finite number of spots available. 

I mean, we know who McDermott is lol. All these guys work hard though, including this guy. 

If nothing else this guy may make the other guys on the team work just a tiny bit harder on conditioning so as not to get embarrassed. That alone would contribute more than most #90 roster players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, appoo said:

I mean, we know who McDermott is lol. All these guys work hard though, including this guy. 

I have no idea what you do for a living but I’m dying to hear if you’d have the same reaction if after getting your accounting degree you found out your potential employer passed you over for that internship because they decided to roll the dice on a guy who they heard was good at math. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Everyone is saying practice squad but we’ve seen the Bills activate the PS DT’s over the past few years.  I think it’s going to hard for him to even get a shot on the PS.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Does this mean fans will start wearing singlets to the games?

Who here would still look good in one?

Judicious use of a Bildo in your singlet might possibly help the look…, 😂

hung like a Brahma Bull…, 

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no idea what you do for a living but I’m dying to hear if you’d have the same reaction if after getting your accounting degree you found out your potential employer passed you over for that internship because they decided to roll the dice on a guy who they heard was good at math. 

This situation happens every day to all sorts of people in all sorts of professions.  

Maybe it's not fair but it is the way it is. You can work hard at something all your life and your peak might not be as good as someone who just picked it up. 

I played a club sport at a high level after college and convinced my brother in law to try out for the team I was on.  Not only did he make it, he ended up higher on the roster than me because of his excellent athletic skill, despite me playing the game for 10+ years. I wasn't salty though, it's just the reality of the situation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

Nor do you 

i know the wrestling culture fairly well and i know that he's done nothing but good stuff since, being an exemplary athlete.

i follow college wrestling. this guy was one of a handful of the best wrestlers. ever.

• Agree 2

Just now, Bruffalo said:

This situation happens every day to all sorts of people in all sorts of professions.  

Maybe it's not fair but it is the way it is. You can work hard at something all your life and your peak might not be as good as someone who just picked it up. 

I played a club sport at a high level after college and convinced my brother in law to try out for the team I was on.  Not only did he make it, he ended up higher on the roster than me because of his excellent athletic skill, despite me playing the game for 10+ years. I wasn't salty though, it's just the reality of the situation. 

That of course can happen as well….but generally not at the NFL level. Just the other day we were discussing who the Bills should sign with their remaining few million dollars. I don’t recall anyone suggesting they should go look across the street to see if any of the new stadium steel riggers had potential, because after all they lift heavy stuff every day. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If there were a Super Bowl for offseason story lines, the Bills might win it every year.

You may want to follow some other teams to get perspective..

In the division, you have a starting QB that was being recruited to run as VP for a fringe political candidate and believes he can be immortal if he concentrates really hard with his mind and takes enough horse tranquilizer while sitting in the dark..

..it tends to make signing an olympic athlete as a camp body look rather mild in comparison.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

That of course can happen as well….but generally not at the NFL level. Just the other day we were discussing who the Bills should sign with their remaining few million dollars. I don’t recall anyone suggesting they should go look across the street to see if any of the new stadium steel riggers had potential, because after all they lift heavy stuff every day. 😉

Except this is a high level athlete with a background in a correlate skill, as there is some crossover in skillset with wrestling and O/D Line technique. We're not going out and signing a pole vaulter. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.