Bills sign Gable Steveson

There’s almost nothing I understand less than signing a guy to play football (at this level) who hasn’t played before. There are prob 2k fringe NFL level players that are available that have a lifetime of football experience…..this is a move you make in a lower tier league. I just hate doing stuff like this. What’s the best case scenario? Just a waste of a roster spot. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There’s almost nothing I understand less than signing a guy to play football (at this level) who hasn’t played before. There are prob 2k fringe NFL level players that are available that have a lifetime of football experience…..this is a move you make in a lower tier league. I just hate doing stuff like this. What’s the best case scenario? Just a waste of a roster spot. 

Stevenson's athleticism is off the charts, the only thing possibly holding him back is height.  I'm a huge fan of this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Cool story but Brock Lesnar, as massive and strong as he was and also an Olympic level wrestler didn't make it with the Vikings.  Football leverage is different.  

I don't see anything coming from this but maybe this guy is different.

According to some sources Brock Lesnar almost made the 53 man roster with the Vikings, the Vikings considered having him as a reserve defensive linemen. Lesnar was cut as he was beaten out by Spencer Johnson who ended up having a 9 year NFL career. I think the Vikings felt Lesnar wasn't going to take a Practice Squad spot so after Lesnar was cut Lesnar went back to pro-wrestling for a stint in Japan before doing MMA both more lucrative than being a PS player. 

• Like (+1) 1

Freak athlete.  Cost was the 3rd punter on the roster.  Probably gone by August.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You have 91 spots that need to get down to 53 (+ Practice Squad)

You have 38 guys who won't make the roster.

Do you allocate spots to 38 guys who have college and pro tape that you know likely won't make it? Or do you allocate 37 spots to guys who have college and pro tape that you know likely won't make it and then 1 to a World Class athlete that is a complete wild card?

It's extremely low risk and with way more upside than any of the fringe NFL level players with a lifetime of experience. The lack of experience is the selling point here.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's a lottery ticket.  The 90th guy on the roster almost never makes it.  Why sign a fringe guy that you know is just that.  Better to throw a dart at someone who has ridiculous athletic skills.  They worked him out so they must have seen something.

I have the same philosophy in FF redraft leagues (not that that means anything).  In the late rounds, why pick up a WR that will go for 3 TDs and 450 yards?  He is never going to start for me.  If I have injury problems, someone like him will be sitting on the waiver wire.  I'd rather shoot for the boom or bust.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Cool story but Brock Lesnar, as massive and strong as he was and also an Olympic level wrestler didn't make it with the Vikings.  Football leverage is different.  

I don't see anything coming from this but maybe this guy is different.

Well, thats not the entire story.  Lesnar was in the combine that year and had a great showing and a lot of teams were interested in him.  The buzz was real at that point.  However, he got into a motorcycle accident when a van hit him a couple months later and that messed him up.  He ended up with several injuries, and that had most teams out on Lesnar at that point until the Vikings decided to still bring him in even though he wasn't fully recovered from the injuries yet.  

Because his groin was not yet healed, he didn't officially sign with the Vikings until late in the offseason at the end of July.  So he was way behind, especially having not played football since high school.  Vikings had no choice but to cut him a month later when finalizing the roster.  

Brock didn't try football again after that, he had already turned his sights on MMA and started training for that where he went on to be champion.  

So we will never know what could have been for Brock in the NFL, the accident wasn't even his fault.  It was an unfortunate development, but he wowed at the combine and flashed signs for the Vikings.  But he was just too far behind to make the roster and he also had equal desire to try himself in MMA which is where he went instead to great success.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.