A Super Bowl in London?

16 minutes ago, DrW said:

Going solely by seat revenue, the NFL has missed their opportunity. In 1950, Maracana stadium in Rio had a capacity of 200,000 - 210,000 attendees (now it is a measly 73,000). According to Wikipedia, the current stadia with the largest capacity are Narendra Modi Stadium in India (135,000; used for cricket) and ...

... Rungrado 1st of May Stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea (114,000; mainly used for soccer). A Superbowl in North Korea, the ultimate irony.

So I guess we’re going to India then! Wonderful 

• Haha (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So I guess we’re going to India then! Wonderful 

I can already imagine it. Instead of presenting a traditional half-time show, the Indian hosts decide to showcase a cricket test, lasting hours before the second half of the Superbowl starts.

Edited by DrW

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Are we really having this discussion? You think the NFL is going to hold a Super Bowl where the entire west coast will have to get up at 6:00am just to see the kickoff? Really? 🙄

Do the math again. The West Coast be watching kickoff at 10:00 am.

• Like (+1) 1

Personally, I think this is a terrible idea.  The NFL is currently an American sporting league.  Its championship ought to be in America where NFL fans can see it without a passport or transatlantic flight.  Someday when we have international franchises we need to start talking about a non-US Super Bowl.  Not before.  

Though I'm against a London SB, I've been wondering how Khan might try to sell the idea to Goodell.  And I remembered Goodell is dedicated to growing revenues to $25 billion.  Having a Super Bowl in the UK would raise the awareness of American football in England and enhance its branding as an international sport.    

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't mind it being there but be sure to fix that field as last thing you want is teams getting players hurt in the most important game of the season.

NFL don’t care if both rosters drop dead at kickoff. The money’s been made by then.

Of the Super Bowl ever gets played outside the US, I’ll lose it. I already hate myself for liking the NFL as much as I do. 

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No they are not. It will never happen because of the first reason. But if the first reason were overcome and they kicked off at 7pm GMT they'd sell out, multiple times over. 

I think it would happen as your Mayor suggested--7pm EST.  And I think it would sell out at the local hour.  For one night Londoners and others would gladly stay out until 4 am. 

21 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Mr. Khan,

We'll take the Premiere League Championship for the next 10 years in exchange for 1 SB.

(Good luck with your soccer voters next election, you wanker).

-Very Truly Up Yours,

America 

Umm...that league doesn't have a championship game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I am actually pretty much OK with wherever they want to have the Super Bowl.

Would attending a Super Bowl even be fun? It is insanely expensive and comprised of a very corporate crowd that either doesn’t follow the sport or are mildly interested at best.

I know a few folks that have gotten to go to various recent super bowls and they all say it’s the most boring football game they have attended. The passion is torn away from that particular game.

So, in my mind, have it wherever. I will happily watch with invested fans at a house party or a bar.

2 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

I am actually pretty much OK with wherever they want to have the Super Bowl.

Would attending a Super Bowl even be fun? It is insanely expensive and comprised of a very corporate crowd that either doesn’t follow the sport or are mildly interested at best.

I know a few folks that have gotten to go to various recent super bowls and they all say it’s the most boring football game they have attended. The passion is torn away from that particular game.

So, in my mind, have it wherever. I will happily watch with invested fans at a house party or a bar.

I agree. And a Super Bowl that starts at 1:20 pm would actually be a nice change. 

• Like (+1) 1

Monday Night Football used to start at 9pm. People got home late but it was fine even when it was in NY, the only city in the US similar size to London. 

A 9pm London Super Bowl would be:

4pm Eastern time

1pm West Coast time

So I don’t see time zone being a problem.

(I’m still against the idea though because it’s too mercenary to put the SB in a city that doesn’t even have a team.)

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

Monday Night Football used to start at 9pm. People got home late but it was fine even when it was in NY, the only city in the US similar size to London. 

4pm Eastern time

1pm West Coast time

(I’m still against the idea though because it’s too mercenary to put the SB in a city that doesn’t even have a team.)

Thats still around a 2am finish though London time. And I don't know how you get all those people out and home from Wembley or Tottenham at that time. The night time infrastructure just isn't in place to do it. 

And I know people will say "ah but for one night surely they will find a way" well take it from someone who was at the Euro 2020 (in 2021) final at Wembley with England in it.... those ad hoc one off arrangements don't work. And that game finished much earlier. The problem is our biggest stadia are not in very accessible spots. The Olympic Stadium might work a little bit better. But still not easy. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

4pm Eastern time

1pm West Coast time

Jets and Giants are teams without a city---they had an outdoor SB in Jersey.  A disaster.  Ditto Minneapolis.  Indy???  lol.

London all the way over those duds. 

Perhaps someday when the NFL has franchises in multiple cities throughout the world. But until then, it needs to be played in the good old US of A.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.