A Super Bowl in London?

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It won't happen. I think the time difference is a limiting factor here. Realistically the latest you can kick off to get it all in and get people out of the stadium and back to their hotels etc is about 7pm. That's 11am Pacific time. Do the NFL really want a Superbowl kicking off then? 

Of course Sadiq wants it. He is the Mayor of London and it would bring in a chunk of revenue. I might be biased of course but London is the greatest city on earth IMO, it just isn't the right place for the Superbowl. 

This is perfect answer. With the longer halftime and more frequent TV timeouts, they would be playing the game way past midnight in London and that would still be far too early for west coast time. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No way the NFL would do this right?  This is our sport.

Would they ever put Wimbledon or Europa Championships in NYC? 

Not the best argument since the World Cup was played in US and will be again in 2026 and that is definitely not our sport. 

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You could have Wimbledon in NYC or maybe in nearby Flushing and call it something like The US Open.

• Haha (+1) 1

I suppose it’s an inevitability, given the sharp rise in international games, to say nothing of the greed of owners. Frankly, I’d rather the game be played there than Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Jersey or any other very cold city with an open air venue. As long as it’s free to watch, idgaf.

• Simon changed the title to A Super Bowl in London?
48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It won't happen. I think the time difference is a limiting factor here. Realistically the latest you can kick off to get it all in and get people out of the stadium and back to their hotels etc is about 7pm. That's 11am Pacific time. Do the NFL really want a Superbowl kicking off then? 

Of course Sadiq wants it. He is the Mayor of London and it would bring in a chunk of revenue. I might be biased of course but London is the greatest city on earth IMO, it just isn't the right place for the Superbowl. 

Immensely enjoyed spending a few days in London for a Summer holiday in my university years (late 90's early 00's) and would love to come back--one of the best memories was literally stumbling onto the "Trooping the Colours" parade as unbeknownst to me it was happening the same day I'd planned to visit the Buckingham Palace area (pre-smartphone instant info days), and I got a great spot along the route to be able to snap some photos of the then elder Queen Mum and cohorts passing by in their open carriages, good times. Is Strongbow cider still available on tap in the pubs over there?     

Every city mayor who's got a stadium would like to host a Super Bowl.  Just part of the job.

Terrible idea on several fronts as many of you astutely point out, and I'm not particularly worried about it happening.  London mayoral elections come every four years, and while Khan has won three terms, and he can run for as many as he wants, political tides - and priorities indeed change.

I have said for a while the NFL is playing a very dangerous game with US fans as they push to expand the league globally. I get doing regular season games overseas and realistically expect that the 18th game will basically be an overseas game for every team yearly. Fine I get it, not the coolest thing but also not the worst as seeing the Bills play in Berlin would be a fun experience. The major Euro soccer leagues do have matches like this here in the US and the other major US leagues do regular season games abroad too.

But the playoffs and the super bowl are entirely a different animal and thing. No other sports like world wide has ever auctioned off their major title like that outside of home grounds and it would be offensive to US fans for the NFL to do that. As it is I think the way the Super Bowl has priced itself away from so many regular fans is wrong in itself. The NFL is the only major US sport where the idea of the casual fan going to the title game is basically a non starter these days. Moving the game to England which means earlier starting times, no US city benefiting from it, a million other things just comes across as tone deaf to your fans and a straight up slap in the face.

The smartest thing the NFL has forever had going is the ease of watching games on national networks and the big games being here to see. Folks are already annoyed as it is with the monetization that streaming has brought and this may be the move if they ever made it that fully shakes the applecart in a way you cannot get back.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Not the best argument since the World Cup was played in US and will be again in 2026 and that is definitely not our sport. 

I think the bolded probably tells you why.  The World cup involves teams across 100 countries and for has moved their championship venue across planet for the last 90 years.

Europa only involves teams in Europe.  Would they ever move the EUROPA League Championship to the US?

Us moving the Super Bowl to London would be equivalent of them moving the Europa League Championship to NYC.

They would not do that so why would we?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Khan is just not a good person nor is he fit to be the representation for London. This is a terrible idea and there are greater issues that should be addressed that fall under his responsibility than trying to land a Super Bowl.

Eff him. 

I mean he just won a 3rd landslide victory in the Mayoral election. 

38 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Immensely enjoyed spending a few days in London for a Summer holiday in my university years (late 90's early 00's) and would love to come back--one of the best memories was literally stumbling onto the "Trooping the Colours" parade as unbeknownst to me it was happening the same day I'd planned to visit the Buckingham Palace area (pre-smartphone instant info days), and I got a great spot along the route to be able to snap some photos of the then elder Queen Mum and cohorts passing by in their open carriages, good times. Is Strongbow cider still available on tap in the pubs over there?     

Yep, mid June trooping the colour. I know because the brass band rehearse up and down under my office window for a month beforehand and it has begun! 

Yea you get Strongbow less now than you did. The hipsters prefer the trendy Irish bottled ciders but if you can find a proper decent old style boozer you will get it. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I mean we have given you two world cups in the last 30 years whereas the home of football hasn't had one since 1966! Whereas you lot can only just kick a soccer ball.  I saw Diana Ross try.... 

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think the bolded probably tells you why.  The World cup involves teams across 100 countries and for has moved their championship venue across planet for the last 90 years.

Europa only involves teams in Europe.  Would they ever move the EUROPA League Championship to the US?

Us moving the Super Bowl to London would be equivalent of them moving the Europa League Championship to NYC.

They would not do that so why would we?

The Superbowl winners call themselves "World Champions" do they not? 

Edited by GunnerBill

44 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Terrible idea on several fronts as many of you astutely point out, and I'm not particularly worried about it happening.  London mayoral elections come every four years, and while Khan has won three terms, and he can run for as many as he wants, political tides - and priorities indeed change.

Yea Khan has won three mayor victories and three pretty comfortable ones at that. London is a Labour city. Always has been. Boris broke the mold but he is the only Conservative to have won the mayoralty since it was introduced. That said, while the Conservatives were in power nationally it suited them to have a Labour mayor. They ran Zac Goldsmith who was a credible candidate but way too rich the first time against Khan but they have run two utterly hopeless fruitcakes against him the last twice. It suited them to have him there as a bogey man to try and pin transport strikes and police #### ups and infrastructure overspends on. 

With them about to get pulverised in the General Election and the likelihood of at least a decade out of power I suspect they will try and run a more credible candidate next time. But even if they do it is still an uphill battle for a Tory to win London. So Khan could be around a while yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

kickoff would be 7pm EST.  Usual time. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

kickoff would be 7pm EST.  Usual time. 

Exactly why it wouldn't work. That's 11pm here. Wherever you have it - Wembley, Tottenham, Olympic Stadium... you can't get people out and home / to hotels at 4am. 

3 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Can they command exorbitant ticket prices there? Will enough people go who will pay?

Yep. They'd sell out. Absolutely no problem. Within minutes. 

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Khan is just not a good person nor is he fit to be the representation for London. This is a terrible idea and there are greater issues that should be addressed that fall under his responsibility than trying to land a Super Bowl.

Eff him. 

Eff him x 2 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.