What made you a Bills fan?

23 hours ago, Kornfed said:

I was at the game you described in 1981 and sitting in the endzone where the guy climbed up the cables to the net as you described. Was against the Raiders and the Bills had the game until Art Thoms (Raider D line) picked up a fumble n returned for a TD with a couple minutes left in reg. Fergy won the game throwing a TD to Amhad Rashad for a great come back victory. ....... Yeah..... me n my buddies were partying hard but the guy climbing the cable made us look Einesteinesque. .... And that was hard to do!

To me the wildest part was people that were sneaking kegs into the game!!!  No crap I actually had a few beers off a keg that was snuck into the game.  Those were the daze!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/31/2024 at 7:05 AM, GunnerBill said:

I have told this story before, but my grandad was Czech, fought in the Polish army in WW2. He was captured by the Germans and put in a prisoner of war camp but managed to escape and make it to France where he was hidden by the resistance and eventually made it to London after the war. He eventually met my grandmother, they married, had kids (including my mum) and then at 61, just before I was born, my grandad had a massive heart attack and died. My grandmother would still go back to Poland and Czechoslovakia (as was) every few years to visit his family and in the early 90s was in a shop with her friend in Poland, overheard English speaking voices and got talking to an American brother and sister who themselves had family history in Poland and were back researching it. They ended up going for dinner, became friends and in 2002 we visited them in California where they now live for a family holiday. It was August and there was a Bills pre-season game (Lions, who else) on the TV and despite living in Cal they were from Buffalo and the guy is a huge Bills fan. So my dad (who had watched bits of the NFL when it first came to British tv in the 80s) and I sat down with a beer to watch the Bills game with him. I was hooked instantly, from a single, pretty ropey pre-season game. In those first few years as a student about to go of to university watching the games was impossible so I'd just follow the scores online. But in 2006 or 2007 Yahoo had a link up with the NFL and did an international streaming service. It was ropey as hell, buffered all the time, and the picture quality was terrible... but I subscribed. Then after a year the NFL took it in house improved the service and developed International GamePass and I think since 2008 I have missed one regular season game (Saints in 2013 under Marrone because I was at Wembley watching the 49ers instead). 

GB, thanks for sharing and to counter, the only game I’ve missed is the SB with GB as I had to travel to CA for a work training.  It’s not a Bills game, but it’s the only SB I’ve missed since the mid to late 70’s as I didn’t follow football before.  I’m just not that old.

On 5/31/2024 at 2:26 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Looks like we made it through another week! One week closer to the Bills/Cardinals home opener and the first (possible) step to Super Bowl Glory.

And again, I give kudos to those that asked some really thoughtful and thought provoking questions this week. Still, many more topics that can be covered. Looking forward to it.

For this week's Friday question of the day I would like to keep it easy and light. One of my personal favorite questions to ask people is simply "why". For many it's just something you're born into through family. For others it's a geographic thing. Yet others are fans of this team and have no ties to the area. No family that roots for the Bills. So the question of the day is:

What led to you being a Buffalo Bills fan? 

For me, I actually have my Mom to thank for it. She was a single mother in the 80s when it wasn't as widely normal to be such. With me at home she was raising a little boy with no male role model in the picture. She wanted me to have as normal an upbringing as other boys, so one thing she did was learn everything she possibly could about football.

And I grew up every Sunday with Sunday Sauce on the stove and the Bills game on watching football with my mother. She actually grew to be a big Bills fan and even took me to my first game. She let me pick 2 friends from school to bring and we were off to see the Joe Ferguson and the Bills take on the Jets. One of my fondest memories of childhood was during that game as I watched my Ma make a Jets fan that was being loud and obnoxious actually tear up and leave the game in the 3rd quarter. Yup. That was my Mom. She's been gone now for almost 28 years, and WHEN the Bills finally hoist that Lombardi, she will be the first person I think of.

So, what's your story? What are you the way you are (a Bills fan, in this case).

I became one on a dare.

On 6/1/2024 at 3:23 PM, JohnNord said:

Long story short….growing up in Buffalo it was a fandom handed down to me from my family/community 

But more specifically what drew me in was the 1988 season when the Bills were good for the first time that I could remember.  People in Buffalo were very excited about the team. The playoff win against Houston was one of the first games I can remember really looking forward to.   So many superstars on the team and nearly a decade of sustained success.   

88 Team and season pretty cool, you knew they were really back!

The fact they were back for a second SB in a row

SB XXV was the 1st game i ever saw, and it was a rough year, mother died 3 months before. I only knew a couple of team names, 49ers, Giants and perhaps Redskins.

I remember the announcer saying Bills were favorite, arrogant and bickering, so i was for the other team.

The next year, probably the 2nd full game I ever saw, they were back. I thought, well it's their turn now.

The 3rd SB definitly sealed it.

On 5/31/2024 at 5:26 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Looks like we made it through another week! One week closer to the Bills/Cardinals home opener and the first (possible) step to Super Bowl Glory.

And again, I give kudos to those that asked some really thoughtful and thought provoking questions this week. Still, many more topics that can be covered. Looking forward to it.

For this week's Friday question of the day I would like to keep it easy and light. One of my personal favorite questions to ask people is simply "why". For many it's just something you're born into through family. For others it's a geographic thing. Yet others are fans of this team and have no ties to the area. No family that roots for the Bills. So the question of the day is:

What led to you being a Buffalo Bills fan? 

For me, I actually have my Mom to thank for it. She was a single mother in the 80s when it wasn't as widely normal to be such. With me at home she was raising a little boy with no male role model in the picture. She wanted me to have as normal an upbringing as other boys, so one thing she did was learn everything she possibly could about football.

And I grew up every Sunday with Sunday Sauce on the stove and the Bills game on watching football with my mother. She actually grew to be a big Bills fan and even took me to my first game. She let me pick 2 friends from school to bring and we were off to see the Joe Ferguson and the Bills take on the Jets. One of my fondest memories of childhood was during that game as I watched my Ma make a Jets fan that was being loud and obnoxious actually tear up and leave the game in the 3rd quarter. Yup. That was my Mom. She's been gone now for almost 28 years, and WHEN the Bills finally hoist that Lombardi, she will be the first person I think of.

So, what's your story? What are you the way you are (a Bills fan, in this case).

born there….  Buffalo area fan.  I route for WNY sports teams like seven though I didn’t go to the colleges they get my full support in national tournaments ( canisuis, Niagara, st Bona, UB, RIT) .  This weekend Niagara played in ncas baseball tourney

my brother nd his wife are from buffalo, live in nashville, kids born/ raised on nashville.

Bills ahead of Titans

Predators ahead of Sabres

y brother wasn’t as much a hockey fan, they lived out of buffalo for some time snd because my SIL didn’t see the Sabres she lost some attachment to the,. Bills they easily could see and follow because football is heavily on national TV

• Like (+1) 1

So the year was 1988. I just finished up freshman football and caught sone of Jim Kelly on tv that year. I was born and raised in central NJ so my entire family was Giants fans. As I watched that year and got more into football I saw something in that team. I fell in love with the Bills and was happy to give an FU to the rest of my family until superbowl 25 where I literally cried in the bathroom after Norwoods wide right. After I watched the Bills Shellac the Raiders 51-3 I thought we got this. Then 4 straight years of humble pie. Even though my lesson in humility was brutal, it taught me to stay the course. Here I am at the beginning of my 37th season as diehard as ever. Go Bills!!

Posted (edited)

Destiny.  Born on the day players reported for first ever Bills Training Camp in 1960 at Knox Polo Grounds in East Aurora.

Also as a 5 year old received a 1965 AFL Champs football signed by all the Bills on that year's team from Daryle Lamonica.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.