What's your favorite word?

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

big debate in my house how to pronounce this. Options:

1) Nee-yo-kee 

2) nee-yaw-kee

3) no-kee

4) naw-kee

i think 1 is right and 2 is acceptable (though I seem to use them both myself). But I have heard 3 and 4 too. 

The word "gnocchi" is Italian. In Italian the correct pronunciation would be 3). The "g" is silent.

3 hours ago, DrW said:

The word "gnocchi" is Italian. In Italian the correct pronunciation would be 3). The "g" is silent.

I agree. Its definitely an N sound g silent. No G in choice #1

I love a fresh gnocchi. My college roommate would make it homemade with fresh spinach it was Divine

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, DrW said:

the G is silent in all four of the options I noted. Maybe I didn’t phonetically spell them the best way. But I think the key dispute is whether the G turns the “N” into more of a “nee.” 

21 hours ago, muppy said:

I think 1 is the correct pronunciation and we are both right 🙂

I have a LOT of favorite words. I like the word kaleidoscope  too. Not because it's that easy to spell I had to Google lol But the thought of putting an apparatus up to your eyes and watching all the colors swirl That my friends is cool. Always has been always will be.

I have been speaking of "legions" lately. a Large imposing group. a very  cool word.It sounds massive and cool to me.

Legion is a great word! It is rare when I can use it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the G is silent in all four of the options I noted. Maybe I didn’t phonetically spell them the best way. But I think the key dispute is whether the G turns the “N” into more of a “nee.” 

While there does not appear to be a consensus, most pronunciations have the "y" present after the n, but only fleetingly, not an "ee" turned into a syllable of its own. The fleeting nature of the sound is often indicated by the transcript "n(y)o-". 

Posted (edited)

I believe it is Yiddish but  I'm not  really sure of the exact spelling so I will describe the word and attempt to spell it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When your mind is totally confused, hazy, incoherent, muddled thinking

I heard on Judge Judy "Your giving me a Jouuge" basically mental confusion

Juuggghe

Juujhhuzz

EDIT: I Think my answer will be found here. 

https://www.hebrew4christians.com/Glossary/Yiddish_Words/yiddish_words.html#Sh

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/31/2024 at 6:16 AM, boyst said:

***** the ***** ***** is a legit statement.

What the ***** is the ***** problem, dumb ***** is also valid 

***** holy, that's ***** ***** up is valid.

***** hell, that's *****. Past tense works.

*****. Just simple ***** works

Yep. Best word ever.

For a long time, I would not have thought that people in reality communicated this way, but I have to admit that more recently I had to listen to a few people where every third word was the F word. For the first minute I was listening it piqued my interest, but then I noticed that besides the F word most of them had nothing to contribute to a meaningful discussion.

1 hour ago, DrW said:

For a long time, I would not have thought that people in reality communicated this way, but I have to admit that more recently I had to listen to a few people where every third word was the F word. For the first minute I was listening it piqued my interest, but then I noticed that besides the F word most of them had nothing to contribute to a meaningful discussion.

I'm surprised to hear this. Most folks who curse are generally smarter. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.