Guilty As Hell!!

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Oddly enough I have.   Studying transcendentalism was a requirement for earning my degree.    You assuming I haven't, along with your assumption all Trump voters are uneducated idiots, shows both your ignorance and your arrogance.      

I've also read Howard Zinn, Kierkegaard, Rimbaud, Tolstoy, and Che Guevara- just in case we are all doing this weird flex where we list the authors/poets we've read to try and convince people we are superior beings.

Which Tolstoy book?

Manhattan Jury Finds Former President Guilty in Bookkeeping Case

by Victoria Taft

Donald Trump was found guilty today of 34 counts of falsifying bookkeeping records. There was already little doubt when this trial began on April 15, 2024, with jury selection that this collection of Manhattanites would find Donald Trump guilty. Manhattan voted overwhelmingly for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Joe Biden in 2020.

As the trial dragged on for weeks, keeping the 2024 GOP candidate on the sidelines, it became crystal clear that Judge Juan Merchan was the prosecution's plus-one to this party. Merchan was all-in on the prosecution's confusing, Jenga-like legal theory of the case and did all he could to hold up the rickety superstructure

https://pjmedia.com/victoria-taft/2024/05/30/verdict-in-trump-case-n4929403

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Oddly enough I have.   Studying transcendentalism was a requirement for earning my degree.    You assuming I haven't, along with your assumption all Trump voters are uneducated idiots, shows both your ignorance and your arrogance.      

I've also read Howard Zinn, Kierkegaard, Rimbaud, Tolstoy, and Che Guevara- just in case we are all doing this weird flex where we list the authors/poets we've read to try and convince people we are superior beings.

I never insinuated any of that. I did detect a bit of smarminess in your earlier “probably just need to read some Emerson” comment, though. 

• Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Manhattan Jury Finds Former President Guilty in Bookkeeping Case

by Victoria Taft

Donald Trump was found guilty today of 34 counts of falsifying bookkeeping records. There was already little doubt when this trial began on April 15, 2024, with jury selection that this collection of Manhattanites would find Donald Trump guilty. Manhattan voted overwhelmingly for Hillary Clinton in 2016 and Joe Biden in 2020.

As the trial dragged on for weeks, keeping the 2024 GOP candidate on the sidelines, it became crystal clear that Judge Juan Merchan was the prosecution's plus-one to this party. Merchan was all-in on the prosecution's confusing, Jenga-like legal theory of the case and did all he could to hold up the rickety superstructure

https://pjmedia.com/victoria-taft/2024/05/30/verdict-in-trump-case-n4929403

Don't forget the election of 2020 was stolen from Trump, too! 🤣

"Many global heads of state of democratic countries (France, Japan, Israel, etc.) have gone to prison.... The incongruity of the Manhattan case as the venue for Trump’s legal humiliation is that it did not represent his worst crimes, or close to it. The case was always marginal, the kind of charge you would never bring against a regular first-time offender. It was the sort of charge you’d concoct if the target is a bad guy and you want to nail him for something. This, too, is not without precedent. Al Capone’s conviction for tax evasion is the paradigmatic example.... The legal ramifications of this weakness will play out in some indeterminate, possibly terrible fashion.... Life isn’t fair, nor is the legal system...."

Writes Jonathan Chait, in "Trump’s Conviction Means Less Than You Might Think/A lot depends on what happens next" (NY Magazine).

Possibly terrible.... It's obviously terrible. It's only a question of which form of terribleness lies ahead.

So Chait is openly saying the the legal system isn't fair and Trump was convicted for being "a bad guy."

You want us non-haters to just accept that, as if it's a form of world-weary sophistication?

No, you will have to bear the weight of the consequences of persecuting a political opponent.

You should not get off easy. 

Posted by Ann Althouse 

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2024/05/the-conviction-of-former-president-is.html

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/trumps-felony-conviction-means-less-than-you-might-think.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s early.. but I can say from the people I know in politics (on both sides) that this is NOT playing out how Dems thought it would pre-trial.

It started to shift during the trial due to narratives developing and polls hardening.  (The expectation was always that “convicted felon” would be a game changer)

As the trial developed, those on both sides started to realize that likely won’t happen. 

Me, personally, I do think he still has some work to do with suburban women and non-lean independents. 

However… Dems started to worry during the trial and *so far* post-conviction, it’s been a nightmare for Dems.   Not just the 34.8M of fundraising… it’s the 30% new donor figure.   It’s tech guys like Shaun Maguire.  It’s the sentiment developing that “I don’t like him but I have to vote for him as a bulwark against this bulls**t”.  

(Some) took a victory lap last night on certain networks, but the reaction is more muted today and this article has become the start of the blowback to Bragg and how this trial was handled… along with the developing buyers remorse of this prosecution. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s early.. but I can say from the people I know in politics (on both sides) that this is NOT playing out how Dems thought it would pre-trial.

It started to shift during the trial due to narratives developing and polls hardening.  (The expectation was always that “convicted felon” would be a game changer)

As the trial developed, those on both sides started to realize that likely won’t happen. 

Me, personally, I do think he still has some work to do with suburban women and non-lean independents. 

However… Dems started to worry during the trial and *so far* post-conviction, it’s been a nightmare for Dems.   Not just the 34.8M of fundraising… it’s the 30% new donor figure.   It’s tech guys like Shaun Maguire.  It’s the sentiment developing that “I don’t like him but I have to vote for him as a bulwark against this bulls**t”.  

(Some) took a victory lap last night on certain networks, but the reaction is more muted today and this article has become the start of the blowback to Bragg and how this trial was handled… along with the developing buyers remorse of this prosecution. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/trump-was-convicted-but-prosecutors-contorted-the-law.html?utm_campaign=intel&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

• Thank you (+1) 1

NY Magazine: Trump Prosecutors Contorted the Law

JOHN SEXTON 

Over at New York Magazine, former federal prosecutor Elie Honig has a piece which attempts to be down the middle on the Trump conviction. On the one hand, Honig offers respect to the jury who he says did their job.

On the other hand, he points out that there remain a lot of problems with this case, any one of which might be grounds for it to be overturned on appeal.

Honig also mentions DA Bragg's decision to run for office based partly on his anti-Trump record. But his main issue with the case is the completely novel and unique legal approach which turned what were a bunch of misdemeanor business records charges that were already past the statue of limitations into 34 felony charges. That was a magic trick performed solely because the defendant was Trump.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2024/05/31/ny-magazine-trump-prosecutors-contorted-the-law-n3789389

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/trump-was-convicted-but-prosecutors-contorted-the-law.html?utm_campaign=intel&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

NY Magazine: Trump Prosecutors Contorted the Law

JOHN SEXTON 

Over at New York Magazine, former federal prosecutor Elie Honig has a piece which attempts to be down the middle on the Trump conviction. On the one hand, Honig offers respect to the jury who he says did their job.

On the other hand, he points out that there remain a lot of problems with this case, any one of which might be grounds for it to be overturned on appeal.

Honig also mentions DA Bragg's decision to run for office based partly on his anti-Trump record. But his main issue with the case is the completely novel and unique legal approach which turned what were a bunch of misdemeanor business records charges that were already past the statue of limitations into 34 felony charges. That was a magic trick performed solely because the defendant was Trump.

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2024/05/31/ny-magazine-trump-prosecutors-contorted-the-law-n3789389

No, he's just guilty

Face it, you support a convicted criminal

Wow, that's your hero 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Tiberius said:

No, he's just guilty

Face it, you support a convicted criminal

Wow, that's your hero 🤷‍♂️

And maybe now that it's over, we look not at the wisdom or propriety of the charges and trial, but to what he actually did:

- almost undoubtedly (although he laughably denies it) had sex with a professional sex worker, right after his son's birth

- worked with the most comically disreputable publication in America to plant false stories about his REPUBLICAN primary opponents (Ted Cruz's father with Oswald!) and to bury stories about his own affairs (Karen McDougal) and one-off hooker bangs (Stormy)

- conspired with his toadies to mischaracterize those payoffs as legal fees on numerous official filings

THAT is their hero.

We'll get the "well Biden ... Hunter ... Ashley's diary! But come on, Biden is nobody's hero. He's just the alternative we've been handed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1