Anyone Want To Take A Vet Minimum Flier On Yannick Ngakoue?

H2o

I don't think he will get vet minimum. I think a team will give him more than that. He is probably just holding out so he doesn't have to do all the offseason stuff.

6 hours ago, H2o said:

It wouldn't hurt for the competition at least. He had 9.5 sacks for Indy in 2022. It also seems like the type of move we would make at this point, if it is available. He and Floyd are both similar in size, though Floyd was always better against the run than Ngakoue. What say you TSW? 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yannick-ngakoue-hopes-establish-himself-004147330.html

It's my understanding we have reached out to him before and no Bueno.

I say get the young kids reps.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't remember that but if you have never heard the character issues with him I'm shocked. Why else do you think a reasonably productive player is looking for his 7th team in 6 years?

I’ve never seen an article or an interview stating that YN has character flaws.  Please feel free to share your source of this info.  He’s been on multiple teams (6 in 7) maybe because he’s a situational pass rusher asking for big $?  

Yes the annual Ngakoue thread. 1 of my favorite off-season past times. Is Jadeveon Clowney available too?

In years past I have thought he could be a serviceable addition. But he's always received more money than I think we'd be prepared to pay & for what he brings on the field, i dont think he's really worth it. Pretty much a 1 dimensional player, that doesn't get to the QB enough to justify having him on your team. At least imho.

So naturally this will be the year we sign him :P

7 minutes ago, Cubanmist 1 said:

Would love him on the team. Wondering why he is still a FA though.

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Because our pass rush is so robust?  I think it’s a no brainer at vet min to add him as a situational pass rusher.  Bills reportedly had interest in the past.

To the "wondering why he is still a FA" statement, I'm not sure, but guessing it's a solid possibility it could have something to do with how his season was last year. Only having 4 sacks and 7 QB hits in 13 games after signing a 10.5 mil contract for 1 year.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't hate it. But I don't think we're adding another DE and Ngakoue isn't signing for league minimum.

We lost Leonard Floyd (who was only really here bc of Miller not starting the year) and Shaq Lawson.

Since then we've signed Dawuane Smoot (to some guaranteed money), Casey Toohill, and Drafted Javon Solomon in the 5th (who should have been Drafted higher). We also re-signed AJ Epenesa to a long term deal with a BIG pay raise.

Of all the FA signings we've done, OJ Howard is the only one to ever be released when signed to guaranteed money. And of all the Draft Picks we've made higher than Round 6, Vosean Joseph is the only one to ever be released without ever being on the 53.

If Epenesa were someone they felt couldn't be a Starter if Miller doesn't bounce back, they wouldn't have signed him and to the money they did. Between Epenesa and Miller and what they're being paid, one of them is going to start and one of them is going to be DE3.

We're only keeping 5 DE's max. I don't see Smoot or Solomon being cut. And none of Groot, Epenesa, and Miller are going anywhere this season. That's your 5.

As it is, there isn't much of a path for Casey Toohill or Kingsley Jonathan to make the 53. I don't see them also cutting either a productive DE signed to some guaranteed money or a 5th Round Rookie. Which is what it would take to fit Ngakoue on to the 53.

I've said it before but when it comes to post 6/1 additions - i'd be looking at Cornerback. There's still a surprisingly decent crop of FA's left. And we never addressed the departure of Dane Jackson. We replaced White last season with Douglas. We replaced Neal with Hardy. But beyond Douglas and Benford (who is often injured), it's just Elam (still a massive question mark) and then Jackson's spot is currently to be filled by a UDFA or Practice Squad player.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, julian said:

I think the Bills decision makers are higher on Epenesa and Rousseau both having big years than the fanbase is. I hope it happens and Von can come back with 5-8 sacks, if that happens the pass rush should be good.

Agreed...I would rather get a Jerry Hughes as the backup and keep him fresh for the playoffs.   

Our defense needs to step up in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, julian said:

I think the Bills decision makers are higher on Epenesa and Rousseau both having big years than the fanbase is. I hope it happens and Von can come back with 5-8 sacks, if that happens the pass rush should be good.

Don't forget Taron and Milano!

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, H2o said:

It wouldn't hurt for the competition at least. He had 9.5 sacks for Indy in 2022. It also seems like the type of move we would make at this point, if it is available. He and Floyd are both similar in size, though Floyd was always better against the run than Ngakoue. What say you TSW? 

https://sports.yahoo.com/yannick-ngakoue-hopes-establish-himself-004147330.html

Depending on the price, absolutely. If not him, someone who can sack the QB.

I'm betting that he or another DE will be the main use this year of the $10M that will soon become available on the cap. They did it last year and while there are not as many DEs available late this year as there were last year, there are two or three reasonable possibilities and I think we'll be snagging one of them.

Ogbah, Carl Lawson or Hughes maybe as alternatives depending who's still available and who they think can still rush the QB.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

To the "wondering why he is still a FA" statement, I'm not sure, but guessing it's a solid possibility it could have something to do with how his season was last year. Only having 4 sacks and 7 QB hits in 13 games after signing a 10.5 mil contract for 1 year.

It could indeed. But it could also be something a lot of older vets feel about not really wanting to sign a contract till late so as to avoid OTAs and a lot of the off-season responsibilities.

DEs do have to learn a playbook, but it's not anything wildly complicated.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't remember that but if you have never heard the character issues with him I'm shocked. Why else do you think a reasonably productive player is looking for his 7th team in 6 years?

I've never heard anything about it either. Willing to believe it, but I've never seen anything.

Plenty of guys without character concerns go the wandering mercenary route, particularly as they get older and develop injury concerns. It's one of the best ways for a player (if there is a legit hunger for what he brings) to maximize his career $$. Look at Darrelle Revis for one. Leonard Floyd the last three few years for another.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I've never heard anything about it either. Willing to believe it, but I've never seen anything.

Plenty of guys without character concerns go the wandering mercenary route, particularly as they get older and develop injury concerns. It's one of the best ways for a player (if there is a legit hunger for what he brings) to maximize his career $$. Look at Darrelle Revis for one. Leonard Floyd the last three few years for another.

They both did it at the end of their careers. Revis was 29 when he left the Jets the first time. Floyd played for two teams before 30. Ngakoue is 29 now and is looking for a 7th team in 6 years. The skinny on him has always been doesn't play that run at all and tries when he wants. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I think they filled that 4th pass rusher rotation role with Smoot while adding Solomon as depth/development. Smoot had 4 really solid years in Jacksonville from 2019-2022. He had an off year in 2023 because he had a late season Achilles injury that placed him on the PUP in 2023. So that kind of explains why he came on a fairly cheap deal. But another year removed from his Achilles injury and I think he is due for a nice bounce back in 2024. Yannick as a 4-6 DE is a nice addition but I think the Bills are pretty good on Smoot in that Shaq Lawson back end of the rotation role. They probably also like having the back 2 spots be younger players developing like Solomon and another developmental player like Kingsley Jonathan. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They both did it at the end of their careers. Revis was 29 when he left the Jets the first time. Floyd played for two teams before 30. Ngakoue is 29 now and is looking for a 7th team in 6 years. The skinny on him has always been doesn't play that run at all and tries when he wants. 

This is besides the point.  If he was a problem he wouldn’t be landing $10M + 1 year contracts.  He’s a situational pass rusher, not a 3 down player.

Who’s skinny are you referring to?  Is this your perception or have you seen this reported somewhere?  This Bills outside pass rush is complete doo doo, I don’t see how adding a player that can get to the QB and at a vet min contract would be a bad decision.  I’m tired of watching Mahomes sit in the pocket for 10 seconds untouched.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.