Aaron Rodgers limping at Jets OTA's

7 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I read it once, and it disgusted me enough.

You're disgusted because he isn't sad about Roger's injury?? 

How are you still on the internet if that's the level it takes to be disgusted?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

You're disgusted because he isn't sad about Roger's injury?? 

How are you still on the internet if that's the level it takes to be disgusted?

Okay. You have a point.

I want Bills fans to uphold the same level of classiness I saw from Frank Reich, Marv Levy, and many others. If I can rely on other Bills fans for that, it makes me feel better about my own decision to be a Bills fan. If however I see Bills fans falling short of that standard, I feel that it's a reflection on me. Why? Because I chose to be a Bills fan. If I choose to be part of a group which isn't associated with high standards, then that absolutely, 100%, reflects negatively on my own character. If Eagles fans were rooting for a player to get injured--or, to be more accurate, were expressing zero remorse for a player injury--then that wouldn't bother me much. That's exactly what I'd expect from Eagles fans. But when Bills fans do the same, it makes me feel disillusioned. Like the group I thought I was signing up for wasn't the same as the group I was actually joining.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Okay. You have a point.

I want Bills fans to uphold the same level of classiness I saw from Frank Reich, Marv Levy, and many others. If I can rely on other Bills fans for that, it makes me feel better about my own decision to be a Bills fan. If however I see Bills fans falling short of that standard, I feel that it's a reflection on me. Why? Because I chose to be a Bills fan. If I choose to be part of a group which isn't associated with high standards, then that absolutely, 100%, reflects negatively on my own character. If Eagles fans were rooting for a player to get injured--or, to be more accurate, were expressing zero remorse for a player injury--then that wouldn't bother me much. That's exactly what I'd expect from Eagles fans. But when Bills fans do the same, it makes me feel disillusioned. Like the group I thought I was signing up for wasn't the same as the group I was actually joining.

I think you need to toughen up. Bills fans are just a group of people who root for the same football team. There are great people among them, and there are terrible people among them too. You don't have to agree with anyone you don't want to, Bills fan or not. And it is your right to voice your displeasure with an opinion. But you are going overboard with this talk of disillusionment and trying to hold an entire group of people to a level of "class" that you deem appropriate. Just my 2 cents.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think you need to toughen up. Bills fans are just a group of people who root for the same football team. There are great people among them, and there are terrible people among them too. You don't have to agree with anyone you don't want to, Bills fan or not. And it is your right to voice your displeasure with an opinion. But you are going overboard with this talk of disillusionment and trying to hold an entire group of people to a level of "class" that you deem appropriate. Just my 2 cents.

I will give you an example. Let's start by thinking of something which pretty much all of us can agree is wrong. Pretty much everyone would agree it is wrong to abuse dogs. So then you go to the discussion board of some random sports team, and you find a lot of their fans are arguing that abusing dogs is no big deal. In a situation like this, would you form a negative opinion of their fan base?

You may be thinking that my example is a poor one, because abusing dogs is way worse than expressing indifference to the injury of a player. But, you'd be wrong to think that. If someone deliberately broke a dog's leg, is that abuse? Obviously it is. Gungy wrote, "So [Aaron Rodgers'] entire leg could disintegrate while he’s hugging his parents and I wouldn’t shed a tear." What if he had written, "A dog's entire leg could disintegrate while his owner was hugging him, and I wouldn't shed a tear" ? Would that be okay? If something is abuse when done to a dog, it's abuse when done to a human too. It's no more okay to abuse a human, than it is to abuse a dog.

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

No one should sleep on the Jets. They still have a very strong defense, and a solid offense. And, in fact, this might end up being the best O-line Tyrod Taylor's ever played behind.

For sure 

But T-Mobile is also 6 years past his prime... Hasn't had tons of starting experience in the last 6 years 

Is obviously slower and less athletic than when we had him.... 

Tyrod could definitely win some games if Rogers goes down.. but he certainly is physically on the downside

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I will give you an example. Let's start by thinking of something which pretty much all of us can agree is wrong. Pretty much everyone would agree it is wrong to abuse dogs. So then you go to the discussion board of some random sports team, and you find a lot of their fans are arguing that abusing dogs is no big deal. In a situation like this, would you form a negative opinion of their fan base?

No, I would form a negative opinion about the people arguing that abusing dogs is no big deal. Blaming a group for the actions of individuals in that group (actions over which the group have no control) is a very slippery road

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, julian said:

lol… a bit much vitriol for an athlete who you’ve never met or had any personal interactions with, you don’t agree with his views so the world is better off without him lol, you must save the really harsh criticism for the actual douchbags in the league who abuse women, animals and endanger the public.

Yeah, when your own family won't speak to you it usually means you're a pretty good dude.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

No, I would form a negative opinion about the people arguing that abusing dogs is no big deal. Blaming a group for the actions of individuals in that group (actions over which the group have no control) is a very slippery road

I give you credit, for identifying the weakest part of my argument.

Nonetheless, there are a number of examples where groups or organizations have received negative judgements, due to the actions of a relatively small percentage of their members. Actions which others in the group or organization didn't condone, and in many cases weren't even aware of. Perhaps we should be more just and fair in our thinking, and rise above the type of thought process which condemns an entire group or organization, due to the actions of a few. If you've adopted that type of thinking across the board, then that's a good thing.

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I see it differently. Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game. His yards per attempt is 7.7 vs. 7.4 for Tom Brady. Rodgers' INT percentage is 1.4, compared to 1.8 for Brady. There are areas where Brady's numbers are better than Rodgers, such as career passing yards and number of Super Bowl rings. But there's no denying that Rodgers is a great player.

He comes across well in his press conferences. Like a laid back regular guy, who sometimes demonstrates a good sense of humor. If you wanted to point out negatives about him, the most obvious is that he plays for a division rival. He's exerted too much influence over coaching (Nate Hackett) and personnel decisions. But you look at a lot of other guys in the NFL, and they're being arrested or sued for cruelty to dogs, or breaking boys' legs, or beating up women, or grinding on flight attendants without consent. If injuries must happen, I'd rather they happen to guys like those, as opposed to someone like Rodgers.

He has always come across as a self obsessed douche to me and I think the way he behaved in Green Bay both at the end of the McCarthy era and then again post the drafting of Love was really poor. He is on my list of most disliked NFL players. 

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I see it differently. Aaron Rodgers is one of the greatest QBs ever to play the game. His yards per attempt is 7.7 vs. 7.4 for Tom Brady. Rodgers' INT percentage is 1.4, compared to 1.8 for Brady. There are areas where Brady's numbers are better than Rodgers, such as career passing yards and number of Super Bowl rings. But there's no denying that Rodgers is a great player.

He comes across well in his press conferences. Like a laid back regular guy, who sometimes demonstrates a good sense of humor. If you wanted to point out negatives about him, the most obvious is that he plays for a division rival. He's exerted too much influence over coaching (Nate Hackett) and personnel decisions. But you look at a lot of other guys in the NFL, and they're being arrested or sued for cruelty to dogs, or breaking boys' legs, or beating up women, or grinding on flight attendants without consent. If injuries must happen, I'd rather they happen to guys like those, as opposed to someone like Rodgers.

I think he's the greatest to ever play the game at that position.  I also think his narcissistic personality is the main reason he only has only one ring and one Super Bowl appearance in 16 seasons.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

If Jets fans wanted to, they could throw a lot of this same mud at Josh Allen. Allen gets a lot of attention, ergo he's an attention-seeker. Want to portray Allen as someone who treats others poorly? Maybe they'd examine his breakup with Brittany Williams, through the lens of a strong anti-Allen bias. Obviously you don't want fans of opposing teams acting that way, because it's completely classless. Speaking of completely classless: wishing an injury on a football player is not okay. Are there exceptions? Yeah. If a player drags his pregnant ex-girlfriend down three flights of stairs, that's a valid reason for wishing an injury on that player. But the fact a player believes the world works differently than how you think it works? That's a completely unacceptable reason for wishing injury on a player. Be better.

Let's not forget he doesn't talk to his family even though his dad attended every game since he was a kid and didn't stop when he went pro. I like the QB not the person so much

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think he's the greatest to ever play the game at that position.  I also think his narcissistic personality is the main reason he only has only one ring and one Super Bowl appearance in 16 seasons.

Correct. Aaron's biggest problem has always been Aaron. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I give you credit, for identifying the weakest part of my argument.

Nonetheless, there are a number of examples where groups or organizations have received negative judgements, due to the actions of a relatively small percentage of their members. Actions which others in the group or organization didn't condone, and in many cases weren't even aware of. Perhaps we should be more just and fair in our thinking, and rise above the type of thought process which condemns an entire group or organization, due to the actions of a few. If you've adopted that type of thinking across the board, then that's a good thing.

I think a lot of the concern isn't at all that he has opinions, but that a lot of people trust and listen to his opinions.

Add to that the fact that there are a lot of people who share many of his opinions that are also influencers who do not actually believe what they are saying and are doing it for engagement numbers, to make money, and to be liked.

It feels calculated and contrived in some ways.

Also, I think it's fair to assume there are people on this board who know people who have changed significantly as a result of the online algorithms pushing engagement through conspiracy theories (which yeah is kinda a conspiracy theory perhaps (I mean not really though, this is pretty clearly the case and not at all a profound statement)). Seeing someone, in their mind, continuing to rope people in, someone they view as a phony grifter...I could see how that could lead to feelings of anger and hurt and not caring, at least in the moment, if something bad happened to the person. 

Also, indifference isn't the same as wishing ill will, I don't think, but do we really want me to start typing a whole bunch of words trying to figure that out? I'll leave it here :)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

I would never disagree that Rodgers is one of the best ever. 

And I’m also not comparing him to other players (on or off the field).  I don’t enjoy the whataboutism game. 

The fact (yes, fact) is that he is attention  wh.ore, douchebag, conspiracy theorist. 

The world needs fewer of those. 

So his ***** entire leg could disintegrate while he’s hugging his parents and I wouldn’t shed a tear.

Your post is ironic. I suspect unintentionally ironic.  

I am absolutely delighted that the Jets went all-in again on a 40-year qb coming off a serious injury, who was in obvious decline two seasons ago.  We’re lucky, because that roster’s not bad at all and the defense gives Josh fits. This will be Mr Clean’s last year, unfortunately…

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.