Rank the Rush albums

Rank all the Rush studio albums  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rush studio album do you think is the best?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemishperes
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback
    • Snakes and Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

Posted (edited)

All the albums have some special moments. But for me, their most complete album is Clockwork Angels. No sleepers or skip songs on that album. It is a true masterpiece; what a way to finish your career. 

What say you?

Edited by Draconator
  • Like (+1) 2

I’ve always been partial to Hemispheres. The A side is not as powerful overall as the A of 2112, but it it’s a great concept tying into Cygnus X-1, and the album overall has some truly memorable tracks:

The Trees

La Villa Strangiato

The Sphere

Agree with the OP - every album except maybe the first is memorable for its own reason. But I’d have to put MP as the most complete. Nothing there below a grade of B+ by my opinion for sheer listenabilty, although other albums have more for music geeks like me.

• Like (+1) 2

I don't specifically recall their "Parament Waves" album, but voted for it anyway 😜

If you ask me again next week, I'd probably give a different answer...but that's the way it is with Rush fans.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DD4Bills said:

I don't specifically recall their "Parament Waves" album, but voted for it anyway 😜

I can never spell Permanent right. So I did what I thought, and Grammerly gave me "parament" and I totally missed that—fixed now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

The one i have tattooed on my arm - Grace Under Pressure.  

83889515_158488508900017_724342686397916

20 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

I became a Rush fan with a Farewell to Kings and Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 still rank among my favorite tracks. 

The first of my 23 Rush concerts was the final date on that tour in Halifax Nova Scotia

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The first of my 23 Rush concerts was the final date on that tour in Halifax Nova Scotia

The first of my 37 Rush Concerts was also on that tour, in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Rico said:

All The World’s A Stage

Permanent Waves

Fly By Night

Rush

Hemispheres

A Farewell To Kings

Caress of Steel

I left the live albums off—just the studio albums. The live albums are an entirely different thread. 

Never bought a Rush album, but, my younger brother did. I had been going to concerts a couple years, he hadn’t. 

My mother made me take him to his 1st concert in ‘76, Rush at the Century Theater. I was glad he was a Rush fan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, US Egg said:

Never bought a Rush album, but, my younger brother did. I had been going to concerts a couple years, he hadn’t. 

My mother made me take him to his 1st concert in ‘76, Rush at the Century Theater. I was glad he was a Rush fan.

Mine too, I still have the beat up stub... its in two pieces. Rush is ok but really I only like the hemi lp and the worlds a stage lp's. 

22 minutes ago, T&C said:

Mine too, I still have the beat up stub... it’s in two pieces. Rush is ok but really I only like the hemi lp and the worlds a stage lp's. 

You went to the same ‘76 show?

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, US Egg said:

You went to the same ‘76 show?

Yes, but if I remember right it was billed as the new century theatre.... the price was $6.00. I'll have to look tomorrow for more details off of the stub.

18 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The one i have tattooed on my arm - Grace Under Pressure.  

83889515_158488508900017_724342686397916

18 hours ago, Draconator said:

The first of my 37 Rush Concerts was also on that tour, in Buffalo. 

This is the 40th anniversary of p/g.

Nothing officially announced yet, but we should be getting a deluxe box set treatment.  I have the MP box but skipped Signals because it had no live material. If any box set  needed a live show it was Signals as it's the only tour from the 80s without either a soundboard bootleg or official live release.

7 hours ago, T&C said:

Yes, but if I remember right it was billed as the new century theatre.... the price was $6.00. I'll have to look tomorrow for more details off of the stub.

There an old interview with Neil Peart where he talks about driving down from St. Catherines to see Genesis at the Century theater circa 73/74. 

On 6/1/2024 at 2:22 AM, US Egg said:

It might of been, but it was hardly new. Had only about 2500 seats.

Saw so many good bands there before they made it to the big time.

My 1st concert was there, Genesis in ‘74. Mind blowing., also ELO, Billy Joel, The Tubes, they were wild, Kansas.

And again, in ‘78 I had to take my brother to see some band he liked called Van Halen, I was glad he was a fan.

Found the Neil Peart article.  You took in that Genesis Buffalo show with Neil only a few months before he joined Rush in '74.

Peart went on to say that he was fortunate enough to see Collins play with Genesis in 1974 at the Century Theater in Buffalo, New York. “It was simply a galvanising performance by him and all of that excellent band,” he said. “The music from that night’s show echoed in my head long after”.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/phil-collins-influence-rush-neil-peart/

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Found the Neil Peart article.  You took in that Genesis Buffalo show with Neil only a few months before he joined Rush in '74.

Quite a testament to the band that two years later they packed the same theater…..and I was there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.