How do you envision Khalil Shakir being utilized in this years offense?

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I did answer the question. I basically said your assumed answer is incorrect. 

This season will tell us more, much more IMO.  

Not sure why you are even arguing this point. Did I not state clearly that Dorsey was wrongly scapegoated and fired? Everyone knows the defense was terrible and led to many of our losses. Heck, look at the Denver game. The offensive personnel let Dorsey down with 4 huge turnovers, none of which can be pinned on the OC and the defense was horrendous, particularly late in the 4th quarter.

You also pointed out that we were 5-5 under Dorsey while 6-1 under Brady.  My perspective has not changed one iota.  Sometimes when I refer to things I'm referring to the going narrative(s), not necessarily what you stated.  

I also forgot to point out that it's interesting that of those 6 wins "under Brady" (i.e. why never "under McD"), our defense allowed 6, 10, 17, and 22 points.  Had our D allowed 6 or 10 in Dorsey's games we'd have won all 5.  If the D had allowed 17 we'd have won 4 of the 5.  We wouldn't even be having this discussion.  In short, our having gone 6-1 the last bunch of games had almost nothing to do with Brady.  

My main point when it comes to Dorsey is that he was not able to work with Allen at 100% of his capabilities. And in part it led to a 5-5 record. I'm not saying the Bills would have gone 8-2 if Allen ran more but anything would have helped and been better than 5-5. This IMO, was a upper management decision pushed on to the OC. I expect it to be pushed on to Brady to start this upcoming season as well. 

And my main point is that we haven't had an OC yet that has been able to work with Allen at 100% of his capabilities, particularly in the passing game.  

Poor defense is what led to a 5-5 record more than any other aspect of our play.  

It was absolutely an "upper management decision" pushed on Brady.  No competent and sensible OC structures structures an offense like we have with Allen back there without being forced to.  That's the entire point.  

McDefense is deliberately not hiring anyone competent to not be outshone or potentially lose his job to that person, which it seems would be incredibly likely given how our D folds and we make biggest coaching blunders in team history in the playoffs while continually playing not-to-lose.  

But that's not the narrative, far from it in fact.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Good post, and I'd like to add to what you've written.

Sixth loss, the Eagles. The Bills had two defensive coordinators for that game. The really good one was named Sean McDermott. In the first half, his defensive game plan held the Eagles to just three points. Our really good defensive coordinator exited in the third quarter. His place was taken by the terrible defensive coordinator. Who, coincidentally, was also named Sean McDermott. The soft zone/prevent defense became a sieve for the second half. It allowed the Eagles offense to complete 8 - 12 yard passes. Easy throws, easy catches, we did nothing to contest or challenge. Just let them have those. Easy peasy, at least for them. We would have challenged on a 20 - 30 yard play, but just let 'em have the 8 - 12 yard stuff. If we'd played any defense at all in the second half, that game is a Bills win. Unfortunately, the terrible defensive coordinator defeated the Bills defense, more thoroughly and completely than any opposing offensive coordinator ever could.

BTW, you implicitly raise something that I meant to bring up. 

If our D had played the same way down the stretch as it did in "Dorsey's" 5 losses and without any help from STs (Miami) or D (NE), we'd have been lucky to get to 3-4 and 8-9 overall.  We allowed an average of 24 PPG in those first 5 losses.  Had we allowed 24 in all of our last 7 games we'd have won only 3 pending the Chargers game which would have been a tie.  The Chargers with a 24th ranked D and fielding absolutely nothing of starting caliber talent on offense in that game.  

We'll figure it out this season.  Excuses and scapegoating can only go on for so long.  

As to Shakir, as I posted before, I see no reason why he couldn't be a 100 catch 1,500 yard and 10 TD WR in this offense.  Will it happen?  

And consider, if it did, if we had someone that knew how to maximize our passing game, and Shakir did hit or even get close to that, imagine what Kincaid and the others would do on coattails.  The offense would be explosive as it should be.  Instead we render Allen to the short-medium game, focus on running, and defense.  

Seems to me that if we cut loose our passing game we could go 13-4 or 14-3 perennially and have a whole lot more success in the playoffs.  The D would still be good, it simply wouldn't dominate our game strategy.  No need for all of these down-to-the-wire games against siht teams, we should have blown most of the teams we lost to, and some others, out.  We have the talent on offense.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

10 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Andy Reid or Ben Johnson as OC? Um, neither of those guys are coming as an OC to the Bills. When Ben gets a new gig it will be as a head coach. I don't believe I hinted either way my thoughts on replacing McD. For the record, I lean towards being perfectly fine with replacing McD for an offensive HC but that is an entirely separate conversation.

As for the Bills recent OC choices in Brady and Dorsey, I don't think it is at all uncommon to hire from within. I see that as a nothing burger. Again, I think Dorsey was unfairly put into a position where he was forced to run Allen less to start the season last year. The Bills offense was unsuccessful, the defense was horrendous at times and he was scapegoated for failing at a new offensive philosophy that was likely forced upon him from the HC and management. 

Reluctantly agree with all this, especially the bolded. Just found myself imagining a world where the underlying reason Ben Johnson eventually ended his candidacies for any remaining 2024 job searches is that he realized Sean McDermott is entering a make-or-break season in Buffalo. Best job ever (coaching Josh Allen in his prime) could have an opening during/after the 2024 season, and meanwhile Johnson gets to continue to run a high end offense with a better than average QB on a projected-to-be successful team. (Lotta respect actually for a guy who ostensibly turned down multiple HC jobs...waiting for the right fit. Super rare.)

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Reluctantly agree with all this, especially the bolded. Just found myself imagining a world where the underlying reason Ben Johnson eventually ended his candidacies for any remaining 2024 job searches is that he realized Sean McDermott is entering a make-or-break season in Buffalo. Best job ever (coaching Josh Allen in his prime) could have an opening during/after the 2024 season, and meanwhile Johnson gets to continue to run a high end offense with a better than average QB on a projected-to-be successful team. (Lotta respect actually for a guy who ostensibly turned down multiple HC jobs...waiting for the right fit. Super rare.)

But I'm not sure McDermott being in a make-or-break season is a reality. Nothing that the Bills have done or said this off-season leads me to believe that is the case. I still think they'd have to miss the playoffs for there to be a change. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But I'm not sure McDermott being in a make-or-break season is a reality. Nothing that the Bills have done or said this off-season leads me to believe that is the case. I still think they'd have to miss the playoffs for there to be a change. 

Yeah, especially given the soft rebuild/cap reset this year. From a managerial perspective, you don’t give a guy less resources (cap space) and then declare it a make or break year. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Totally agree, to be honest.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.