Kaiir Elam discussing the last 2 years & his struggles...

Posted (edited)

Topic- Elam talks about his struggles 

message board response-

"I wish him the best and hope he improves"

Rebuttal response- "so what you're saying is that he sucks and you're so perfect of a person that you never struggled with anything ever in life and that your junk is bigger than all of us?"

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/29/2024 at 9:19 AM, BarleyNY said:

I cringe every time I read something as unaware and ridiculous as this. Elam isn’t some child trying to learn to ride a bike or a junior high schooler struggling with algebra. This is a grown man who is being paid millions of dollars to do his job. I’m sure he’s trying and getting help from his team, but the adults in the room understand what happens when a team member can’t do their job and holds his team back. 

In general I agree with you, with the one caveat that I felt ever since we drafted him that he was a square peg in a round hole. He has measurables and bloodlines and played in the SEC but aspects of his film sucked.

Beane is generally a good evaluator of talent but whiffs in some patterned ways. I cringed the night we drafted him. Of the CBs left on the board after the McGuffie pick to the Chiefs, I wanted Tarik Woolen.

I say give Elam one more chance (at corner and/or safety) but then dump him before the season if it isn’t working because he’s a liability to us winning a championship. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 8:24 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Wouldn’t shock me if he’s traded before the season.

I would be. He'd have been traded already if anyone was offering us anything beyond a bag of balls. After spending a 1st on him, they're going to give him every chance to bloom before they trade him for nothing. And as others have pointed out, behind Douglas and Benford - all we have is Elam and a camp of Practice Squad and UDFA players. We've yet to replace Dane Jackson on the team - I don't see us replacing Elam too with the field of guys we have at our disposal beyond him.

There's been a sentiment that our former CB coach was not a fan of Elam, personally or professionally, and that it contributed to both Elam's stunted development and the DB coaches firing. Beane reportedly told Elam it's a clean slate for him this season and I suspect much of that was due to having a new coach. He'll be given this season. If he underperforms in Year 3 - it'll probably spell the end for him. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/29/2024 at 2:48 AM, BigDingus said:

I'm probably one of the most vocal "Elam is a bust" guys on the board, but man I really want him to prove me wrong.

He says "it's not like I was cutting corners, it's not like I wasn't listening, wasn't taking notes, wasn't preparing the right way... just that it allowed me to learn though..."

What does that even mean? He's clearly acknowledging he's fallen short, but if it was none of those things that held him back & he was doing all those things right, how did he learn anything from that?

I know he's trying to give off a positive attitude & show he's got a positive mindset, but it makes me think "well then why is a 1st round talent struggling to fight for a backup role if they're already listening, taking notes, preparing the right way, etc.?"

The idea that McDermott doesn't play rookies was always a silly excuse & definitely not true, but on the other hand he's being kept around for a reason. There's obviously still potential that the coaching staff sees, and he has had some clutch moments for us.

Hoping at the end of the year someone can quote this thread & say "Hahaha you were wrong!" but I've all but checked out on expecting anything from Elam.

I believe Jahmile Addae will help his game preparation.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

In general I agree with you, with the one caveat that I felt ever since we drafted him that he was a square peg in a round hole. He has measurables and bloodlines and played in the SEC but aspects of his film sucked.

Beane is generally a good evaluator of talent but whiffs in some patterned ways. I cringed the night we drafted him. Of the CBs left on the board after the McGuffie pick to the Chiefs, I wanted Tarik Woolen.

I say give Elam one more chance (at corner and/or safety) but then dump him before the season if it isn’t working because he’s a liability to us winning a championship. 

I think Beane is a good evaluator overall, but he’s painted himself into a corner a few times. It bit him with Elam. But he did something that good GMs do. He knew Elam was a big risk so he hedged and took Benford in the same draft. That’s worked out very well and mitigated Elam not working out (yet).

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Besides the dude has actually made plays in some limited time... Has picked off Patrick mahomes twice 

Mckelvin took years to turn into a solid corner... But once the light clicked he became very steady 

Elam is on the same trajectory and will probably give us a few good seasons... People act like him being injured can't affect a corner 

This is the reason why you draft corners every year... So you can have four guys you can play

He certainly is not a lost cause

New Coach changed our Leodis McKelvin. Asked him to be the receiver and play the ball a such

Major turnaround for him

Now 

Go beat that ass Elam !

14 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Kind of funny, I posted how much I like this board because of its fan insight and enthusiasm, despite some issues.  Then the thread immediately degenerated into a bunch of insults and arguing.  I guess that just has to be part of it, unfortunately. 😔

serves you right .

We are a fickle bunch indeed

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Elam's been taking boxing classes with the great Joe Messi.   And he said something about it that I thought was interesting:

"My number one thing is becoming a better me every single day.  I think boxing has definitely helped me become that from a physical aspect, but now mental aspect as well, to allow me to stay calm, relaxed and able to execute details and fundamentals without getting stressed out or tense."

Is he saying that he's had a problem with getting stressed or tense in football games?  Has his struggle been more mental/psychological than physical?  

ww.wkbw.com/sports/buffalo-bills/i-love-it-buffalo-bills-cornerback-kaiir-elam-using-boxing-to-improve-mental-and-physical-health

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

And yet this same GM in an eerily similar situation with WR they went a different route.  Took the 1 WR and did not back it up in a deep WR class. 

To me, it's another sign they have planned all along for the early June trade.   My theory is the FO was thinking the other outside WR is Coleman backed up with the versatile C Samuel.  That would have been my plan, and what I consider something a good GM would do.

SF who is supposedly not in our desperate situation took a 1st round WR and backed it up with a 4th rounder and just signed their WR3 from last year ( J Jennings) to $10M guaranteed over 2 years.  Normally that would give rise to some speculation but their GM says they have no plans on trading any WRs, and as I've been told countless times, our GM says we are set.  Darn.

You make a good point about Beane not taking a second WR in the draft this season. I think it was a mistake not to do at least that. As for a post 6/1 trade for a top level WR like Aiyuk, I’d love it. But I will believe it when I see it. That doesn’t seem to be the plan this offseason. Next offseason I think may be different though. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/29/2024 at 6:07 AM, BuffaloRebound said:

Seems like he loses focus and gets grabby. I don’t think it has anything to do with being  a big CB.  Maybe he wasn’t mature enough and thought his last name and his notebook spiel was enough to make it in the NFL.  Let’s hope he gets it now.  Sometimes it takes guys a couple years to learn how to be a professional.  

I remember Tra'Davious was kinda grabby his rookie year. Kaiir just needs to trust in his ability to recover if he makes a false step. His speed and acccelaration are up to the task. He also needs quicker reaction time and some ability to anticipate for things like jumping routes when we blitz, etc. I too am waiting for the game to slow down for him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/31/2024 at 12:59 AM, hondo in seattle said:

Elam's been taking boxing classes with the great Joe Messi.   And he said something about it that I thought was interesting:

"My number one thing is becoming a better me every single day.  I think boxing has definitely helped me become that from a physical aspect, but now mental aspect as well, to allow me to stay calm, relaxed and able to execute details and fundamentals without getting stressed out or tense."

Is he saying that he's had a problem with getting stressed or tense in football games?  Has his struggle been more mental/psychological than physical?  

ww.wkbw.com/sports/buffalo-bills/i-love-it-buffalo-bills-cornerback-kaiir-elam-using-boxing-to-improve-mental-and-physical-health

Being grabby could absolutely stem, in part, from anxiety/panic at the route stem or initial break, when a WR will naturally gain some advantage and it's on the DB to sink and release and recover. Essentially, it's on the DB to trust his technique and innate talent to close without overtly impeding the WR. He's always shown signs of being handsy, and add to that him going from primarily press-man to playing off a bunch and reading multiple cues determining his post-snap responsibilities, and there could def be an exponential need for holistic re-training of his mind and body. 

20 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I remember Tra'Davious was kinda grabby his rookie year. Kaiir just needs to trust in his ability to recover if he makes a false step. His speed and acccelaration are up to the task. He also needs quicker reaction time and some ability to anticipate for things like jumping routes when we blitz, etc. I too am waiting for the game to slow down for him.

Tre possesses infectious, innate confidence and composure that not every talented athlete has. Elam might be a more tightly-wound guy who isn't so clear-headed under duress. 

• Like (+1) 1

Elam’s problem is that he hasn’t been coachable and insisted on relying on his athleticism to play the position. He didn’t change his approach even after being downgraded on the depth chart. Basically, he should have been moved while he had trade value but teams hate to admit whiffing on 1st rounders. I’ll believe he can play the position effectively when I see it, until then he’s a stubborn head case.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

On 5/30/2024 at 9:08 PM, BarleyNY said:

I think Beane is a good evaluator overall, but he’s painted himself into a corner a few times. It bit him with Elam. But he did something that good GMs do. He knew Elam was a big risk so he hedged and took Benford in the same draft. That’s worked out very well and mitigated Elam not working out (yet).

I don't agree that Benford was drafted thinking Elam was a risky pick.  If they felt that way about Elam they would not have drafted him.  They drafted Benford because they valued him higher than where they picked him.  Easy to project now but Beane made a comment that they were surprised he was still available.    In all honesty if Benford wasn't drafted Elam is already starting.  

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I don't agree that Benford was drafted thinking Elam was a risky pick.  If they felt that way about Elam they would not have drafted him.  They drafted Benford because they valued him higher than where they picked him.  Easy to project now but Beane made a comment that they were surprised he was still available.    In all honesty if Benford wasn't drafted Elam is already starting.  

If Beane didn’t recognize that Elam was a risky pick - even more so than a typical draft pick in that range - then he’s not nearly the GM I think he is. And if Benford wasn’t on the team then we’d have picked up a reasonably priced vet. 

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

If Beane didn’t recognize that Elam was a risky pick - even more so than a typical draft pick in that range - then he’s not nearly the GM I think he is. And if Benford wasn’t on the team then we’d have picked up a reasonably priced vet. 

They had Dane Jackson.  Benford was a BPA pick.  Elam has not been bad.  Majority of NFL teams he would be the starter.  Without Benford he would be the starter here.  

Elam is a pick like every first rd pick under Mcbeane.  Young prospect with an elite trait.  After 13 secs Beane wanted a guy who could play press.  The games Elam has played he has made plays.  Too inconsistent for Mcdermott but his good is as good as anyone in the corner room.  Hitting on Benford is a net positive.  If Elam improves that could be the tandem going forward in 25.  

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

They had Dane Jackson.  Benford was a BPA pick.  Elam has not been bad.  Majority of NFL teams he would be the starter.  Without Benford he would be the starter here.  

Elam is a pick like every first rd pick under Mcbeane.  Young prospect with an elite trait.  After 13 secs Beane wanted a guy who could play press.  The games Elam has played he has made plays.  Too inconsistent for Mcdermott but his good is as good as anyone in the corner room.  Hitting on Benford is a net positive.  If Elam improves that could be the tandem going forward in 25.  

Disagree on Elam. Inconsistent equals bad as a CB. He has made some plays, but he also can’t be counted on to not screw up. I hope the light goes on for him. But right now he’s just a first round pick who can’t earn his way onto the field. 

Interviewer - "When you got on the field, you seemed to handle it pretty well. Do you think it was during the week that gave you trouble?"

Elam - "It's whatever you want to say... I mean I wasn't playing, I wasn't playing."

I like that he's not trying to make any excuses, but at the same time his response was confusing. I only quoted one part of it because the rest of it was unintelligible, but it at least sounds like he understands his performance is why he's not seeing the field & is working to correct that.

Really hope he's successful. We need CB depth badly. Benford, Douglas & Johnson make a solid starting lineup, but beyond that is a dramatic drop off. Elam has the power to greatly alleviate that issue.

• Like (+1) 1