Kaiir Elam discussing the last 2 years & his struggles...

Posted (edited)

I'm probably one of the most vocal "Elam is a bust" guys on the board, but man I really want him to prove me wrong.

He says "it's not like I was cutting corners, it's not like I wasn't listening, wasn't taking notes, wasn't preparing the right way... just that it allowed me to learn though..."

What does that even mean? He's clearly acknowledging he's fallen short, but if it was none of those things that held him back & he was doing all those things right, how did he learn anything from that?

I know he's trying to give off a positive attitude & show he's got a positive mindset, but it makes me think "well then why is a 1st round talent struggling to fight for a backup role if they're already listening, taking notes, preparing the right way, etc.?"

The idea that McDermott doesn't play rookies was always a silly excuse & definitely not true, but on the other hand he's being kept around for a reason. There's obviously still potential that the coaching staff sees, and he has had some clutch moments for us.

Hoping at the end of the year someone can quote this thread & say "Hahaha you were wrong!" but I've all but checked out on expecting anything from Elam.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m actually trying to be patient with him for this year.  It took Bernard and others a couple of years so as long as he progresses this year, I’m good.  If he doesn’t progress this year, then we move on.  That’s. Just my humble opinion.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6

I’m not overly optimistic, but some of this bigger corners — like Rasul Douglass — take a few years to really get their mechanics sorted out. Still, with Elam’s physical tool kit, and background of NFL DBs in the family things like poor footwork shouldn’t be this big of an issue. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m not overly optimistic, but some of this bigger corners — like Rasul Douglass — take a few years to really get their mechanics sorted out. Still, with Elam’s physical tool kit, and background of NFL DBs in the family things like poor footwork shouldn’t be this big of an issue. 

It's a good point about bigger corners.  I read the commentary from Thad earlier in the thread, and I have to say I have no idea how Elam's (larger) size impairs his fit in this defense.  Douglas fits in this defense.  Benford, who is probably about 20 pounds heavier than Elam and the same height, fits in this defense.  Josh Norman has long fit in this defense.  And so have smaller corners like Levi Wallace.  So, contrary to Thad's point, I'm a little lost as to how size dictates fit at that position in this D, and I too am hopeful that Elam can figure things out. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Seems like he loses focus and gets grabby. I don’t think it has anything to do with being  a big CB.  Maybe he wasn’t mature enough and thought his last name and his notebook spiel was enough to make it in the NFL.  Let’s hope he gets it now.  Sometimes it takes guys a couple years to learn how to be a professional.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have a feeling this year it comes together for him. He is still very young, he has all the physical tools and wants to be better. It would be huge for the defense if he lives up to his potential. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Seems like he loses focus and gets grabby. I don’t think it has anything to do with being  a big CB.  Maybe he wasn’t mature enough and thought his last name and his notebook spiel was enough to make it in the NFL.  Let’s hope he gets it now.  Sometimes it takes guys a couple years to learn how to be a professional.  

His college film had a ton of grabbing at the top of routes. That tells me that he doesn’t have the agility to stay with quick WRs. I think it’s that rather than a loss of focus, though a lack of confidence could contribute. I don’t know that this is fixable. The situation is made worse by his poor feel for zone so we can’t hide him there. He feels like the CB version of a talented WR who doesn’t run his routes correctly or understand his route options. That all said, I think the Bills’ plan is to try to coach him up and get him on the field to see if he’s salvageable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

The Bills did not add much at CB.....yet they are down Tre and Jackson, right now it seems he is CB3 on the outside, he needs to step it up.  Or the Bills need to move him to a team that is better matched to his skill set.

27 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wouldn’t shock me if he’s traded before the season.

Other than his high draft round what makes him trade worthy? It takes two teams to make a trade and i just don’t see a good market for him.  

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I'm probably one of the most vocal "Elam is a bust" guys on the board, but man I really want him to prove me wrong.

He says "it's not like I was cutting corners, it's not like I wasn't listening, wasn't taking notes, wasn't preparing the right way... just that it allowed me to learn though..."

What does that even mean? He's clearly acknowledging he's fallen short, but if it was none of those things that held him back & he was doing all those things right, how did he learn anything from that?

I know he's trying to give off a positive attitude & show he's got a positive mindset, but it makes me think "well then why is a 1st round talent struggling to fight for a backup role if they're already listening, taking notes, preparing the right way, etc.?"

The idea that McDermott doesn't play rookies was always a silly excuse & definitely not true, but on the other hand he's being kept around for a reason. There's obviously still potential that the coaching staff sees, and he has had some clutch moments for us.

Hoping at the end of the year someone can quote this thread & say "Hahaha you were wrong!" but I've all but checked out on expecting anything from Elam.

Apparently you have never struggled to learn anything in your life time or fallen short at a certain job or project, some of the best lessons i have ever learned in my lifetime are those that have come through failure and that is what he may be talking about .

So let's hope by sitting back and watching those in front of him and being out on the field and making some mistakes he can take that experience in and learn from it and be the player they thought he could be when they drafted him .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm really pulling for the kid. Would be huge for him and the Bills if he finds his way.

I'm also a huge Brandon Beane fan.

Both being said, I can't understand why we would trade up in the first round to take a guy who doesn't know Zone and struggles in space. We have the tremendous benefit of having a consistent, established defensive scheme for 7 years. We didn't we just pick a guy who actually fits it?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, T master said:

Apparently you have never struggled to learn anything in your life time or fallen short at a certain job or project, some of the best lessons i have ever learned in my lifetime are those that have come through failure and that is what he may be talking about .

So let's hope by sitting back and watching those in front of him and being out on the field and making some mistakes he can take that experience in and learn from it and be the player they thought he could be when they drafted him .

I cringe every time I read something as unaware and ridiculous as this. Elam isn’t some child trying to learn to ride a bike or a junior high schooler struggling with algebra. This is a grown man who is being paid millions of dollars to do his job. I’m sure he’s trying and getting help from his team, but the adults in the room understand what happens when a team member can’t do their job and holds his team back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

His college film had a ton of grabbing at the top of routes. That tells me that he doesn’t have the agility to stay with quick WRs. I think it’s that rather than a loss of focus, though a lack of confidence could contribute. I don’t know that this is fixable. The situation is made worse by his poor feel for zone so we can’t hide him there. He feels like the CB version of a talented WR who doesn’t run his routes correctly or understand his route options. That all said, I think the Bills’ plan is to try to coach him up and get him on the field to see if he’s salvageable. 

Safety.  I have inside information (maybe it is public and I don't know it), that they really want to look at him as a safety.  That might help the grabbiness at the top of routes - seeing the play unfold and running to the catch point rather than trying to mirror sometimes.  Others on here have posted he would be terrible at safety, but the Bills believe there is at least some chance those posters are wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 5