Class of 2024 - virtual freshmen year 2020 - now here is why your college loans are expensive

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm also surprised by how many parents/grandparents don't set up 529 plans for their kids/grandkids.

I'm not talking about the people who simply can't afford it. I'm talking about people who take really expensive vacations, drive really expensive cars, etc.

I'd think because in retrospect, why plan with your money when there's another option to handle the debt?  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

One of the great aspects of American life has been our openness to allowing second chances, career changes, opportunities for late bloomer students, etc.

But yeah, the pendulum did swing too far in that direction. We don't need to rigidly "track" kids into practical trades when they're 14 or foreclose the opportunity for going back to school for those who were tracked in that direction. But we do need to understand that college and a profession of some sort isn't what all kids want or what all kids are capable of doing.

Agree.  There's a balance.  Too many opportunities equates to more washouts (and defaulted loans).  And standardized tests are no guarantee of success.  About 10% of my med school class washed out before the start of year two.  All had very good metrics.  Most couldn't take or didn't like the pressure cooker we were in.  Better to find out sooner than later.  Surgery programs weed out as a matter of policy by using pyramid programs where some don't finish by design.  Competition usually works well...

But I was heartened by the kids at the ceremony.  Most seemed serious and thoughtful in ways that didn't seem common in the recent past.  They seem to realize that it is going to take a major effort to succeed.  Some of the scholarship applications were amazing.  We need kids like this to lead and produce.

6 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I'd think because in retrospect, why plan with your money when there's another option to handle the debt?  

True. Maybe it was another sucker move by me (akin to paying off my own loans early). Maybe I should've let my kids take big loans instead of small ones, then have those loans forgiven, then they could inherit the value, with growth, of what I put in their 529 plans ...

8 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Education bad; stay uneducated.  Your future is right in plan.  

Not educated make great freedom.  See comrades in many successful food feeding countries. 

if all these people went to these colleges and are too ***** stupid to figure out how to pay back their loans they are the uneducated ones. if they are that stupid they should lose their right to vote and breed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. Maybe it was another sucker move by me (akin to paying off my own loans early). Maybe I should've let my kids take big loans instead of small ones, then have those loans forgiven, then they could inherit the value, with growth, of what I put in their 529 plans ...

I think the math probably suggests that’s the case, though there are moving parts that may or may not change the trajectory of the plan.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'm also surprised by how many parents/grandparents don't set up 529 plans for their kids/grandkids.

I'm not talking about the people who simply can't afford it. I'm talking about people who take really expensive vacations, drive really expensive cars, etc.

My son will get through undergrad  school debt free for sure because of the work of me and my wife. My brothers daughter will also be going to FSU without much debt because he is divorced, his wife is primary caregiver, and she does not own the house she lives in, and makes less money. Niece has been offered pell grants and subsidized loans because of her parents situation and my son was not offered a dime in subsidized loans because apparently two teachers are better off than two parents who combine for $250k a year. Our college finance system gives preference to the parents who do all that crap you mention and it kills me because my choice is  either front him the money or pay interest and the pressure to perform is not there as I would like. The current system is garbage and intentionally bad.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, BillStime said:

If only Trump golfed less and didn’t ignore his intelligence in 2019.

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe9101a7831c81f466fd35

Biden supposedly did the opposite of what Trump did and had vaccines and treatments not available under Trump. Yet had more deaths than Trump.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

My son will get through undergrad  school debt free for sure because of the work of me and my wife. My brothers daughter will also be going to FSU without much debt because he is divorced, his wife is primary caregiver, and she does not own the house she lives in, and makes less money. Niece has been offered pell grants and subsidized loans because of her parents situation and my son was not offered a dime in subsidized loans because apparently two teachers are better off than two parents who combine for $250k a year. Our college finance system gives preference to the parents who do all that crap you mention and it kills me because my choice is  either front him the money or pay interest and the pressure to perform is not there as I would like. The current system is garbage and intentionally bad.

Another way in which government subsidies reward what we used to consider suboptimal behaviors. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Biden supposedly did the opposite of what Trump did and had vaccines and treatments not available under Trump. Yet had more deaths than Trump.  

Why did more of your friends get the vaccine?

I expect similar here in the U.S.   

Main reason is going to be college costs, economy, and resentment over Covid policies. 

But please Dems, keep telling them climate change and abortion are the most important issues they face.   

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

I just got an email on my student loan saying the Republicans are trying to block Biden's SAVE Plan and that the Biden/Harris campaign is determined to fight for student loan borrowers. What an absolute joke. That's like when you are kid and wanted candy for breakfast and your parents said no. Does that make them evil? Why should any of you pay for my student loan debts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I just got an email on my student loan saying the Republicans are trying to block Biden's SAVE Plan and that the Biden/Harris campaign is determined to fight for student loan borrowers. What an absolute joke. That's like when you are kid and wanted candy for breakfast and your parents said no. Does that make them evil? Why should any of you pay for my student loan debts?

Agree.  

An on a side note.  That's a bank or the fed loan?  And if so, it's kinda crazy money was spending to put political talking points on an agency document/bill  

They went nuts when trump put those signed letters in the food boxes during COVID 

45 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Agree.  

An on a side note.  That's a bank or the fed loan?  And if so, it's kinda crazy money was spending to put political talking points on an agency document/bill  

They went nuts when trump put those signed letters in the food boxes during COVID 

It's federal

But held by a 3rd party for the servicing 

• Like (+1) 1