MLB to integrate Negr0 League statistics into official MLB stats

18 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Obviously nobody. Companies apologize for past wrongs all the time.

There should be no need for that. 

Edited by Beast

17 hours ago, SoTier said:

I watched the Giants/Cards game, too.   One of the interesting things that Kendricks said was that the MLB video game started adding Negr0 Leagues players in the 2023 edition, so that many younger kids had learned about players from the Negr0 Leagues through the game.  He also talked about plans to expand the Negr0 Leagues HOF in Kansas City. 

That is just outstanding! What a great way to honor and shine a light on their legacies and accomplishments. 

For the record I have mixed feelings about intermingling the stats - simply because they didn't play in the same league. Should we consider Sadaharu Oh the MLB career leader in HR's? And before I get torched I get that it's not a 1:1 comparison given the history of segregation. In the end MLB is in a great place right now - attracting high end talent from across the globe.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

the mlb could absolutely have let them in. Jackie came in the mlb in 1947. Segregation was still the law after that. 

Obviously nobody. Companies apologize for past wrongs all the time.

Not when it's the law of the land. Maybe the SCOTUS and Southern states should apologize. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not when it's the law of the land. Maybe the SCOTUS and Southern states should apologize. 

MLB let Jackie in the league in the 40s. How’d they manage that? 

11 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

It's because perceptions were changing in the face of the law after WWII

Brown was 1954.  Entities began testing the law. Even after 1954... The fight lingered.  People just fought a global war. That was a huge game changer.

On 6/8/2024 at 10:52 AM, aristocrat said:

So the mlb barred them from the league and now is taking their stats? They better not just erase the ***** leagues from the history books. They better have giant asterisks next to their names forever with an explanation in large print at the bottom of every page.

36 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I'm trying to understand your point of view. On one hand you claim that MLB barred 'them' and on the other hand MLB managed to skirt some laws that @ExiledInIllinois referenced. Would appreciate any clarity on your thoughts. 

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

I'm trying to understand your point of view. On one hand you claim that MLB barred 'them' and on the other hand MLB managed to skirt some laws that @ExiledInIllinois referenced. Would appreciate any clarity on your thoughts. 

they did bar them and let them in later. What’s to clarify? 

3 hours ago, Beast said:

There should be no need for that. 

I think it’s necessary. 

not as bad as bayer which somehow still exists as a company despite creating zyklon b which was used to gas the Jews. ***** that company and anyone who uses their products 

41 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's because perceptions were changing in the face of the law after WWII

Brown was 1954.  Entities began testing the law. Even after 1954... The fight lingered.  People just fought a global war. That was a huge game changer.

No ***** but that’s not what you were saying lol

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah it was. Times change... AND the SCOTUS most certainly got it wrong in 1896. Set our country back 60 years. And generations financially. 

That’s not what you were saying. You said the laws kept the mlb from them playing. Then you said times changed and the war changed minds. Which one you picking now?

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Looking back through your posts  in this thread, there's nothing for you to clarify to me. Be well and prosper.

Now I’m curious. So you don’t agree with my point that the mlb was the bad guy in the situation? 

On 6/20/2024 at 10:50 PM, US Egg said:

I watched the 

He was on the game tonight honoring the ***** leagues. What an uplifting individual. There were a lot of moving moments throughout the broadcast, it was a great tribute. This game should be an annual event.

But, needless to say, it can never be enough.

On a side note, it didn’t dawn on me who Josh Gibson topped as the all time batting average leader until they said it during the broadcast. In a sad case of irony, Gibson passed the immortalized Ty Cobb, whose past is abhorrent, to say the least, regarding racist behavior.

It is common belief that ty cobb was a racist monster.  In recent years, a lot of al stump's slander has been peeled back.  Ty Cobb was, in fact, was a vocal supporter of integration.  

https://nypost.com/2015/05/31/how-ty-cobb-was-framed-as-a-racist/

Edited by May Day 10

3 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

That is just outstanding! What a great way to honor and shine a light on their legacies and accomplishments. 

For the record I have mixed feelings about intermingling the stats - simply because they didn't play in the same league. Should we consider Sadaharu Oh the MLB career leader in HR's? And before I get torched I get that it's not a 1:1 comparison given the history of segregation. In the end MLB is in a great place right now - attracting high end talent from across the globe.

It was great how they made the game a backdrop, or secondary, and the stories, interviews and honors were at the forefront throughout the broadcast.

I agree that baseball is in a better place now. The influx of global talent is great, and needed. Ohtani has reinvigorated fans all around the world. He just hit a home run as I typed this ! The rule changes made were all home runs imo, though a few might need a tweak or two. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Now I’m curious. So you don’t agree with my point that the mlb was the bad guy in the situation? 

If I understand what your are asking,  I think that society was the bad guy and by proxy so was mlb. I do not think it was mlb's responsibility to cure the ill. In the context of this thread I'm semi-interested in the when and where but ultilmately that's meaningless to me as it's in the past. Bill and Ted put it best: Be excellent to each other.

11 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It is common belief that ty cobb was a racist monster.  In recent years, a lot of al stump's slander has been peeled back.  Ty Cobb was, in fact, was a vocal supporter of integration.  

https://nypost.com/2015/05/31/how-ty-cobb-was-framed-as-a-racist/

It was not a myth or exaggeration that he assaulted African Americans on more than one occasion. He had charges filed against him and fled town to avoid arrest on one occasion. In that case a civil lawsuit was filed. Cobb agreed to settle out of court in order to receive a lesser charge. There was a road rage incident involving an African American in which he was arrested for. There was another incident in 1924 where he violently assaulted a ticket taker.

Call it what you will…..

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think that MLB is more culpable than that.   MLB owners had an agreement in place to not allow black players into the leagues even though there weren't any MLB teams located in the Southern states where separate but equal was written into law except perhaps in St Louis and Washington, DC.   While in most of the country segregation was a common practice, it wasn't written into law.   Branch Rickey broke when he signed Jackie Robinson -- and I think that he had to do some politicking among other owners to get support for breaking the agreement.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.