Texans WR Nico Collins gets 3 year $72 Million extension

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Well, at the end of last season both Dell and Collins were hurt. Collins has a robust injury history. They're going all in trying to win this year, and they have as good a shot as anyone given how well they played last year and how young they are. Stroud has a chance to show the league he's a top 3 QB this year.

Good point. But I think it's a major unnecessary gamble on their end. And Stroud will be a top 3 QB eventually (if he isn't already) with or without Stefon Diggs.

Regardless, the fact that we were able to recoup a mid to high #2 via the Vikings seems like a pretty good deal for Buffalo. Let's see how the rest plays out.

Edit - by the way, wasn't Nick Caserio considered somewhat of a joke as an NFL executive until very recently? Yes, he fleeced the Browns for DeShaun Watson (but that's Cleveland lol). Not sure about how high his level of authority was with the Pats as Player Personnel Director.

Edited by buffblue
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Like others have been saying on here... we need draft at least 1 WR and 1 RB every year and just have a cast of cheap help at those positions so you just keep refreshing those positions.

Spend the money at other spots that matter.

Lumping WR and RB together is just foolishness.

In the most recent playoff loss to the Chiefs, Bills WRs had 160 yards worth of drops. Put another way: upgrading our WR corps could have gotten us an additional 160 yards of offense. That's an order of magnitude greater impact than you'd expect if you'd upgraded the RB position.

Another difference is that a rookie RB can contribute on opening day. Whereas they say a WR doesn't come into his own until year 3. While there are exceptions to that rule, Nico Collins is not one of them. He had more production in year 3, than in years 1 and 2 combined.

Think about it this way. A RB's good years could be years 1 - 5 of his career. You draft a RB and let him leave after his rookie contract? You got 80% of his good years (at least in this example). A WR could have 10 good years, and those could be years 3 - 12 of his career. You draft a WR and let him leave after his first contract? In this case you're only getting 20% of his good years. Unlike RB, WR is a premium position. What possible reason could you have, for being too cheap to re-sign your own draft day successes at the WR position?

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Logic said:

Nico Collins is, in my mind, sort of the best case scenario for what Keon Coleman could become.

He's 6'4" 215 lbs and offers uncommonly good RAC for a guy his size. 

Sound familiar?

Admittedly, Collins is faster with a 4.45 to Coleman's 4.61. Then again, Coleman is probably a bit better above-the-rim than Collins.

Collins got off to a modest start in the NFL with 446 and 481 yard outputs in his first two seasons while also struggling with injuries. Last season he had a true breakout with 1297 yards and 8 TDs in 15 games.

I don't know if Coleman's first couple seasons will be as modest as Collins' were, but I think it's reasonable to hope and expect that he can reach (or exceed) the production that Collins just posted in year three.

Many people have drawn this comparison also because some of the advanced statistics are similar. Specifically in that they weren’t favorable. I may be incorrect but my gut tells me it was YPRR and separation were similar, and in a not good way.

I would agree about the projection. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

Personally, I think Houston is being prematurely overhyped.  Im not saying they don't have a shot to be a top AFC team this year, because they obviously do.  But I think their season last year was a bit overrated after having an easy schedule full of bad teams/defenses.  So to assume they make this big leap to AFC powerhouse feels premature, especially without knowing how the new pieces fit in there or how Stroud plays in his sophomore year with a season full of tape on him now.  Against the Ravens in the playoffs they looked like they didn't belong.

This year, they have an easy start to the season and I expect them to be 3-1 or 4-0 heading into week 5 against us where I think we will win that game.  Then their schedule is easy again until they finally get 4 challenging games in their final 7 games.  So odds are, they probably finish with a good record again and probably win their division.  But overall, they do not scare me in week 5 nor do they scare me if we are to face them in the playoffs...at least right now.  

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

As a Michigan fan, I did not expect him to become such an impact player for this team. Good for him.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5517718/2024/05/28/nico-collins-contract-texans/

Well, Well, Well, Well.  

2 hours ago, buffblue said:

Still don't understand why the Texans needed to bring a guy like Diggs in this offseason. Collins and Dell are beasts, then you have Schultz and Mixon. Are there enough balls to go around before Diggs starts pouting? Add in the fact that the Texans face a MUCH more challenging schedule this year, and I can see some of the good vibes from last year disappearing (though I do believe Ryans and Stroud are a stud combo).

They wanted a 1-2-3 punch with Collins and Diggs and Dell.  Much harder to defend.  

Also, Tank Dell broke his leg last December.  He's young and should heal up, but good to have insurance in case he needs a bit of extra time.

2 hours ago, buffblue said:

Still don't understand why the Texans needed to bring a guy like Diggs in this offseason. Collins and Dell are beasts, then you have Schultz and Mixon. Are there enough balls to go around before Diggs starts pouting? Add in the fact that the Texans face a MUCH more challenging schedule this year, and I can see some of the good vibes from last year disappearing (though I do believe Ryans and Stroud are a stud combo).

Having a bunch of good to great players to throw to is not a bad thing.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Nico Collins is, in my mind, sort of the best case scenario for what Keon Coleman could become.

Sound familiar?

Admittedly, Collins is faster with a 4.45 to Coleman's 4.61. Then again, Coleman is probably a bit better above-the-rim than Collins.

Collins got off to a modest start in the NFL with 446 and 481 yard outputs in his first two seasons while also struggling with injuries. Last season he had a true breakout with 1297 yards and 8 TDs in 15 games.

I don't know if Coleman's first couple seasons will be as modest as Collins' were, but I think it's reasonable to hope and expect that he can reach (or exceed) the production that Collins just posted in year three.

Having watched Nico in the Big Ten and watching Keon the better comp is Mike Williams. Nico is not the athlete Keon is despite the fact Nico was one of the top receivers in the country out of high school. Although I will say Nico is probably a tad better route runner 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally, I think Houston is being prematurely overhyped.  Im not saying they don't have a shot to be a top AFC team this year, because they obviously do.  But I think their season last year was a bit overrated after having an easy schedule full of bad teams/defenses.  So to assume they make this big leap to AFC powerhouse feels premature, especially without knowing how the new pieces fit in there or how Stroud plays in his sophomore year with a season full of tape on him now.  Against the Ravens in the playoffs they looked like they didn't belong.

This year, they have an easy start to the season and I expect them to be 3-1 or 4-0 heading into week 5 against us where I think we will win that game.  Then their schedule is easy again until they finally get 4 challenging games in their final 7 games.  So odds are, they probably finish with a good record again and probably win their division.  But overall, they do not scare me in week 5 nor do they scare me if we are to face them in the playoffs...at least right now.  

I like to see teams be good for two years straight before I take them too seriously. Last year everyone was high on Jacksonville. Some even said they would be the 1 seed in the AFC.

We'll see how Houston deals with a 1st place schedule versus their 4th place schedule from last year. Jacksonville didn't handle it that well last year in a similar position. Houston has to prove it this year. BUT, Stroud can certainly make the wow throws. That's for sure.

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

I like to see teams be good for two years straight before I take them too seriously. Last year everyone was high on Jacksonville. Some even said they would be the 1 seed in the AFC.

We'll see how Houston deals with a 1st place schedule versus their 4th place schedule from last year. Jacksonville didn't handle it that well last year in a similar position. Houston has to prove it this year. BUT, Stroud can certainly make the wow throws. That's for sure.

Yeah same for me.  Weirdly, Houston’s schedule looks pretty easy this year too.  So I think they will still have a good record this year, but it will be how they look against teams like Buf, KC, Balt, etc that will tell us where they really are at.  

Miami had a good record too, but just didn’t look the same against better competition.  So I need to see Houston and all this money they spent show up and be impressive against the better competition before I start worrying about them.  

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Having a bunch of good to great players to throw to is not a bad thing.

It can be if they start getting frustrated they aren’t getting the ball enough.  

36 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

If Diggs was unhappy in Buffalo, this should be a interesting time

Diggs knows he is only there for a year. They voided all the future years on his contract. He just wants to get through the season and hit free agency next year. I bet he wants to go to Dallas and play with his brother.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Houston are better than Jacksonville. I was the guy telling everyone here last offseason Houston was gonna be good. That roster is young and talented. People were sleeping on them. 

I don't think they are a Superbowl contender yet, but they are not a Jags like one season wonder type story. They are going to dominate the AFC South the next few years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Sound familiar?

Athe difference in Collin’s third season has a name : CJ Stroud.  

Coleman starts with Allen. If he is not a good WR by the middle of the upcoming season, he likely will never be too tier. 

15 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Coleman starts with Allen. If he is not a good WR by the middle of the upcoming season, he likely will never be too tier. 

I think that is a bit of a stretch. He has just turned 21. I'm not a lover of the Coleman pick but I think he could be pretty average as a rookie and still possibly develop into a top receiver. I look at someone like Davante Adams who was a 2nd round pick and was pretty average his first two seasons before he really started to take off and he had Aaron Rodgers throughout. 

I'm not telling you it will happen with Coleman but I'm not sure we will know by halfway through year 1.

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, buffblue said:

you bring in diggs to try to win while you can still make those splash moves 

8 hours ago, MJS said:

I mean that’s 2 out of 17 games shifting 

15 hours ago, Logic said:

Sound familiar?

If who Collins had throwing to him his first 2 seasons and who Keon has throwing to him his first 2 has anything to do with it Keon should put up much better numbers as long as his chemistry with Josh comes around quickly .

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Bobbly Slowik and the shanahan offense had a lot to do with it also.  

• Like (+1) 2